XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Source for Seat Mounting Bracket?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2009, 01:26 PM
Received 61 Likes on 40 Posts
Default Source for Seat Mounting Bracket?

'98 VDP, 131,100 miles.

Posted this down the page under "Seat Removal - Torx Bit Size?", thought I would try again with a more accurate title.

One of the rear brackets that holds the driver seat to the floor mounted box frame is completely broken, and the other is badly cracked. The brackets are roughly triangular in shape, with a flat flange at the base securing it to the floor rail with two Torx bolts. At the top or "point" of the bracket there's a hole through which a large rivet connects it to the seat frame. When you adjust the rear seat height, its around this rivet that the mechanical movement pivots. The hole is where both brackets are damaged.

Is it possible to purchase replacements brackets, or am I looking at an entire new seat assembly? I've searched online, no luck as yet.

Anyone here have a source for the bracket or would the the local dealership be my only option?

Thanks,

Ian

The following users liked this post:
rogerwilko (09-01-2020)
Old 10-24-2010, 06:44 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Seat Bracket

Hi--

I have the same problem with my 1998 Vanden Plas. Just failed inspection. If you find a source for the bracket, could you please let me know? Thanks!

Old 10-24-2010, 06:49 PM
Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

I have a pair of seats for parts if you are interested. Send me contact info as I would take them apart.

Old 10-24-2010, 11:59 PM
wfd
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the same problem with my driver seat for my 98 vanden plas. Please let me know how you resolved your broken support. Thanks.

Old 11-21-2011, 11:38 AM

I'm a new Forum member with 1998 XJ8...& a broken seat bracket. Any advice on how it was repaired, or where to find the part? I was considering removing the seat & having that bracket welded...possible?? Thanks... Bob

Old 11-21-2011, 12:08 PM
Received 86 Likes on 70 Posts

If I remember correctly, the only official "cure" is a new seat assembly. Evidently the Jaguar engineers did not contemplate the heft of contemporary drivers.

As a practical matter, if/when this happens to my car, I plan to take the seat out of the car temporarily, grind away the rivet to remove the bracket, and then either weld the bracket [tho likely to fail again] or else have a studier replacement fabricated. The rivet would get replaced by a bolt. Aside from the annoyance factor, the bracket does not look like a complicated part. Just needs to be made of thicker stock or otherwise strengthened.

Old 11-22-2011, 09:50 AM
Default Seat Bracket

Hi Bob-

I may be able to help you. Which bracket is broken? I may have a bracket for you. I bought two and used only one. I sold my jag, but still have the bracket.

I replaced a broken seat bracket on the driver's side (right side) of my 1998 Vanden Plas. It was a real pain but fairly easy to do with the right tools and parts. Will need:

T50 torgue bit
seat bracket (hard to come by)
rivet nut and bolt (need to order online somewhere)

You need to remove the seat using a torque bit. Home depot does not sell the size--T50--I ordered mine from Granger. Remove the 4 bolts holding in the seat. Below are the instructions for removing the seat (from another forum friend!)

Tilt the rear of the seat all of the way up before you unplug it you can easily get at the top pivot (rivet). So in sequence...with the seat all the way back remove the two front mount bolts.....then move the seat forward so the track clears the back mout bolts and remove them....then tilt the rear of the seat up with the button and make sure you have a clear shot at the rivet....disconnect the wiring connectors from the seat.....tip the seat forward and remove the Seat Belt from the Seat base.....carefully remove the seat from the cabin. Getting the seat out of the cabin is a 2 person job. Kind of like getting a couch through a narrow door, you'll need to tip and turn it at the same time to get it out of the opening.

Once you get the seat out--then you can get at the bracket. I ground off the rivet with a dremel tool and then I used a steel threaded flanged rivet nut and bolt to put the bracket back on. Similar to this:

Beta 1742R-Al/M4 Threaded Aluminum Rivet Nuts, M4 (Pack of 20) | SmallParts.com

I don't have the website where I bought it, BUT, do a google search and then I called the company and told them I only need ONE nut. Their customer service sent me out a couple for FREE. Don't remember the name, but were in mid-west. Don't know the size, but you can measure when you get the seat out. Can use a few washers too if your rivet nut is too long. You must use the rivet nut--not enough room for a bolt head and nut--will tear your leather when you tilt the seat. Your car will be out of commission until you get the parts.

I guess it's possible to weld the part back together, but my welder friend would not touch it without me removing all the leather from the seat--and that's a whole other problem!!

Hope this helps!
Allison

Old 11-23-2011, 10:25 AM
Default Seat Repair

Allison: Thanks for the information. Very clear instructions. I'm out of state with family for the Thanksgiving holiday, but will work on this when I get home next week. Sure do appreciate the help.

Bob

Old 11-23-2011, 10:28 AM
Default Seat Repair - continued...

Allison: I forgot to mention, it is the back right bracket on the driver's seat. Yes, I would be interested in getting your bracket, if it's the right one. Cost? Shipping? Let me know...if it fits.

Bob

Old 11-24-2011, 07:22 AM
Default seat bracket

Hi-

I'll check to see which bracket I have and get back to you. Happy Thanksgiving.

The following users liked this post:
YoungRobertL (02-05-2012)
Old 11-24-2011, 12:03 PM
Received 61 Likes on 40 Posts
Default The rest of the story...

Sorry I've been scarce on this site for awhile, new job, new baby, very little time for online stuff...

Anyway...a friend of a friend restores cars as a hobby, has a full shop is his garage. He rewelded the broken bracket back together (removing the seat first) but wasn't sure how permanent a solution it was. Sure enough, not long thereafter the bracket broke again. I'm 6'1", 210lbs, so I can only imagine how other, larger drivers fare with this.

I had contemplated removing the rivest and replacing with bolts, but I found a good deal on a replacement seat and went that way instead. It also gave me the opportunity to repair the broken seat heater (my seat coil had broken). I plan to make the original seat into an office chair.

Had some damage after Hurricane Irene, the car wouldn't start so I had it towed. It was fixable, and my mechanic suggested I take care of a host of other small anoyances the car had developed at the same time. Decided it wasn't worth the cost at that point, and the car went on to its next owner. Always liked the car a lot, but as it wasn't the model I really wanted, never loved it.

However, got my sights on a '91 XJS Coupe my mechanic is selling for its current owner. Its in pretty amazing condition, so hopefully, she soon will be mine...
%^)

Happy T-day to all!

Last edited by inertian; 11-24-2011 at 12:14 PM.
Old 11-25-2011, 08:07 AM

Looks like the bracket can go on either side, so it should work. You can just pay me for shipping ($7 should cover it). Someone on this forum was helpful to me, so I'm happy to pass on the favor. Paypal is fine to sandlin@***.net. Send me your email and I will email you some pictures. I can't seem to figure out how to post my images here. Thanks, Allison

Old 11-25-2011, 09:28 AM
Default Thanks...money on its way

Allison: Thanks for the reply, & for sending the bracket. I just sent the money via Pay Pal. Let me know if it doesn't show up for you.

My email is YoungRobertL@comcast.net. I believe my address will show up on the Pay Pal invoice. If it doesn't let me know.

Thanks again...& I'll let you know how the project goes. Bob

Old 09-01-2020, 12:56 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi I have exactly the same problem with my XJ8 Sport Australian delivered. Yes the brackets look a bit thin and there is obviously a weak point there. I am about to checkout a replacement seat from a Auto Wrecker and use it for the parts, the motor trimmer will need to swap my leathers covers over also. Hopefully that fixes the problem until it breaks again!

Old 09-01-2020, 01:00 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Alison, I have exactly the same problem with my 1998 XJ8 Sport Australian delivered. Yes the brackets look a bit thin and there is obviously a weak point there. I am about to checkout a replacement seat from a Auto Wrecker here in Adelaide (South Australia) and use it for the parts or just swap it in and have a motor trimmer swap the leathers cover over. Sounds like its a common problem on some Jaguars only because of its thickness. Hopefully that fixes the problem until it perhaps breaks again!

Fingers Crossed
Kind Regards... Roger