XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Differences Between XJR & XJ8

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2011, 08:34 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Differences Between XJR & XJ8

I am new to the Jaguar scene and have been lucky enough to purchase a 2000 XJR. I've tried to find the differences between the XJR and XJ8's, but so far it appears the witty Brits just slapped a blower on the "R" and called it a day.

Don't get me wrong, this is one of the best cars I've owned. I'm just trying to figure out it's history.

Old 03-07-2011, 10:14 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Suspension, brakes, wheel size/tires, standard wood steering wheel and shift knob. Black carpets on all interior colors schemes. Black upper interior trim. No variable valve timing. Mesh grill, blacked out trunk trim piece. A few other minor odds and ends.

Old 03-07-2011, 11:54 PM
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by pezzonovante88
Suspension, brakes, wheel size/tires, standard wood steering wheel and shift knob. Black carpets on all interior colors schemes. Black upper interior trim. No variable valve timing. Mesh grill, blacked out trunk trim piece. A few other minor odds and ends.
Don't forget the sport suspension, Merc tranny which is much better than the ZF, and generally all options for the XJ8 as standard such as the heated seats, backup sensors, premium audio, etc.

The XJR was next to the Vanden Plas as the top of the line, just on the sport side.

Old 03-08-2011, 12:29 AM
Received 89 Likes on 73 Posts

You've been a member for almost two years, have 87 posts, yet the only difference you've gleaned to this point is 'slapped on a blower'? What have you been reading? No offense intended, but I just don't see how that's possible.

The following 2 users liked this post by QuadManiac:
longpassage (10-31-2014), vdpnyc (03-08-2011)
Old 03-08-2011, 01:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 77 Likes on 70 Posts
Question

Originally Posted by pezzonovante88
No variable valve timing.
What is variable valve timing, why doesn't the XJR have it and what does it exactly do?

Old 03-08-2011, 02:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,333 Likes on 1,053 Posts

VVT on the Jaguar engine is a system that alters the camshaft position via hydraulic actuator. This keeps the engine timing at optimum in the full rev range, and the use of different grade fuels. Anther well known high power engine to use VVT are the Honda (Akura) Vtec engine. It works well on normally aspirated engines. There is no need for it on forced induction engines because of the added horsepower.

Old 03-08-2011, 04:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,064 Likes on 867 Posts

Another "high performance" engine to use VVT is the Toyota Corolla. 1ZZFE engine, LOL.

Old 03-08-2011, 07:04 AM
Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

And the Gen 4 Dodge Viper V-10

Old 05-15-2013, 11:36 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TN8Shooter
I am new to the Jaguar scene and have been lucky enough to purchase a 2000 XJR. I've tried to find the differences between the XJR and XJ8's, but so far it appears the witty Brits just slapped a blower on the "R" and called it a day.

Don't get me wrong, this is one of the best cars I've owned. I'm just trying to figure out it's history.
Yes, I've been trying to find this out also, before I buy one. I've just joined. However with comments like the one from Quadmech or whatever his name is, I'm not even sure I want to be associated with these people. A lot of comments are quite prudish, and vague or maybe just unknowledgeable.

Dann

Old 05-15-2013, 11:38 PM
Default Nice attitude

Originally Posted by QuadManiac
You've been a member for almost two years, have 87 posts, yet the only difference you've gleaned to this point is 'slapped on a blower'? What have you been reading? No offense intended, but I just don't see how that's possible.
So, Mr. QUAD, what do you have to offer except insolence?

Old 05-15-2013, 11:41 PM

Originally Posted by QuadManiac
If you're a QUADmaniac, What are you doing on a three wheeler?

Old 05-16-2013, 12:13 AM
Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by vonbunn
If you're a QUADmaniac, What are you doing on a three wheeler?
Vonbunn, its great that you are here, but please cool your thrusters. No need to be hostile. Maybe Quad had a bad day or under the weather a bit when he replied to this thread.

I can see bit of puzzlement arising from Quad's post though. Maybe TN8Shooter needed to test drive the XJ8 before getting into the XJR. The TN8Shooter did get the better of the two, but the differences are huge. Most of the items have been listed above but to take the discussion further its 0-60 in 5.4 sec for an XJR and 6.9 for XJ8.

I have an XJR and would recommend it to anyone who is looking to get the Jag. I love the feel of the extra power and the ability to blow away a good number of luxury sedans 10 years my car's junior. XJR looks and feels more luxurious than an XJ8 thanks to perforated leather seats, leather/wood steering wheel. Plus XJRs often have all the bells and whistles offered by Jaguar during the Model Year.

Check out some threads on what to look for when buying an X308 and don't be shy to ask any questions. There are plenty of members that will be more than happy to guide you through the process, yours truly included.

The following 2 users liked this post by Tirefriar:
1stJ (01-31-2015), vonbunn (06-04-2014)
Old 05-16-2013, 01:49 AM

Et tu, vonbunn? Way to drag up a two+ year old dead thread just to insult a member. I do believe I implied I was not trying to offend... you haven't even shown the same consideration.

My question is almost as viable for you (except at least the original poster had been around the forum for over a year with nearly 100 posts as of that time) - if YOU read on this forum for more than a half an hour you'll learn the differences on your own... why do people like you expect others to do your homework for you? Give a man a fish, etc., etc.

Good job making friends and influencing people.

Last edited by QuadManiac; 05-16-2013 at 02:10 AM.
Old 05-16-2013, 05:56 AM
Veteran Member

Mr. vonnbunn:
Please do not buy an X-308 XJR. If you are not going to do research about it, and you are not going to work on it yourself or hire the work out wiith personal knowledge of the car, then you will become dissatisfied with your purchase very quickly.

BTW, Quad has regularly helped folks get enjoynment from their car by making suggestions here based on his technical knowledge. He gets no reward from that except the payback of appreciation by others and some help on his problems when he might need it. Clearly, neither one is coming from you.

Last edited by sparkenzap; 05-16-2013 at 05:58 AM.
The following users liked this post:
longpassage (10-31-2014)
Old 05-16-2013, 09:51 AM

I Truly apologize for my hasty opinion. I did not realize the circumstances of the conditions, and still don't quite understand. Is the XKR set up more like a M series on the BMW and therefore lends a harsher although faster and quick responsive, more stiffer ride but with a lot of power? Is that what I'm hearing?
As to doing my homework. I guess I stupidly made the assumption that this forum was set up to help others who fully admit they don't know and are attempting to ask the more knowledgeable people. It makes me wonder now, why this guy had so many post, of which I don't know what they ask, and didn't seem to have received his answers. As to not buying a XJR, I have always taken my BMWs, minis, and such to a reputable shop and specialized person in business. Not the dealer. I am also a three time stroke survivor and have had a Deep Brain Stimulation operation for left hand tremor, that was very successful. However I am limited in the use of my left side of my body and can't perform work myself. I would not be qualified to do so anyway.
Let me see if I can ask my question and receive an answer I'm really concerned about: I'm 68 years old ,have always loved and mostly driven high end autos furnished by my job condition: in other words, company cars. Cadillacs, Lincolns, etc. OK, granted not High- High end cars. However, I'm more interested in the softer ride, comfortable interior perks and dependability, good pick up but not high end speed. Which would be more suitable keeping in mind the variable valve thing, and other things both cars offer or would likely have, in a used 2005-06 model that I may want to consider? Ride and accessibility being the most important. I know these cars require a lot of maintenance and attention, which I will follow, with expert specialized Jaguar shops. I wouldn't think of doing anything other. My love for my cars is more like a love of a pet. Especially if I am able in my old age to get one of these beautiful kitties.
Again, I truly apologize for my offensive attitude in my very first post. I don't blame any of you for your reactions. I deserved to be put in my place. This is a forum of what I would think highly respectable, knowledgeable Jaguar owners willing to assist!

Thank you for any advice,

Dann Bunn

Old 05-16-2013, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by sparkenzap
Mr. vonnbunn:
Please do not buy an X-308 XJR. If you are not going to do research about it, and you are not going to work on it yourself or hire the work out wiith personal knowledge of the car, then you will become dissatisfied with your purchase very quickly.

BTW, Quad has regularly helped folks get enjoynment from their car by making suggestions here based on his technical knowledge. He gets no reward from that except the payback of appreciation by others and some help on his problems when he might need it. Clearly, neither one is coming from you.
SPARKENZAP,QuadManiac,Tirefriar,

please red my post.

thank you

The following 2 users liked this post by vonbunn:
sparkenzap (05-16-2013), Tirefriar (05-16-2013)
Old 05-16-2013, 10:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 540 Likes on 421 Posts

Hi Dann,

Buy a 2004 or newer XJ- that should fit the bill. (pass on the R as it has a stiffer ride)

sparkenzap (05-16-2013)
Old 05-16-2013, 11:17 AM
Veteran Member

Dan:
Ok, lets start anew. The X-308, SC, called the XJR is the "sport" model of the X-308 called the XJ8. It has a much harsher suspension, it accelerates more quickly, it comes with low profile tires. It has different seats, with, I beleive firmer bolsters. The interior is somewhat poorly changed to look more like a performance car rather than a luxury sedan by painting the wood veneir panels black. There is a variation called the "Super XJ8" which has, I believe, the exact interior of the XJ8, however I have never actually sat in one.

I own two XJRs and one XJ8 and have logged many miles (over 100,000) in each, so I can at least offer a valid personal opinion.

The XJ8 NA is right for my wife. Being a MY 2002, it has the post Nikasil engine, the upgraded chains and tensioners from the factory, and a ride and look she likes. The XJR is more right for me, in that I appreciate more road feel, am known to goose the throttle a lil more than occaisonally, and would like to think that I am somewhat of a car afficianado.

None of the cars, now more than ten years old are particularly trouble free. Niggly electrical faults plague them, the paint is either showing some age or scares me that it will soon. I am an electrical controls engineer, and I own three kinds of scanners, including two "factory" scanners, and I have little problem diagnosing problems myself. However, even a pretty good independant auto tech will likely have some challenges troubleshooting restricted performance without codes, which is too common, problems with the ABS motor connector, intermittent knock sensor issues, or a host of other known and often reported problems.

Now, sir, many people here will dispute what I say, but I have reported facts only in the paragraph above. They report "no problems" with their car, then you look back and realize they have owned it for 6 months and put 1000 miles on it. I have owned my XJ8 for 11 years and put 180,000 miles on it. My two XJRs have a total of 400,000 miles between the two, and NO, the problems did not just happen after the high mileage. I have records on one of the XJRs that show a total of at least $10,000 worth of repairs, after warranty and before I owned it. BTW, I beleive there is no appreciable difference in reliabilty between the two models. Sure the XJR has a SC,but it has no VVTs.

So, if you know a good independent mechanic you trust, with Jaguar X-308 experience and the proper scanner software, and you budget about $1000. per 10k to 15 k miles for repars, and you really like the ride of the XJR, surely go for it. However, I agree with Mr. Snyder that you would probably be better off with the newer XJ8, post 2003 model. It will be newer, has less known engine trouble and is plenty fast and sporty.

My comments about doing the work yourself were only in light of the expense of using a Jaguar experienced mechanic for an older car with a less than steller relaibility reputation. The mechanics rates for Jaguars are higher, the locally bought parts prices are higher, and the availability of knowledgable technicians is lower for these cars than the other luxury cars you mentioned.

BTW, nothing in my post should be construed to mean Ido not like my Jag- U- Wahs. I am about to plunk down some serious coin and buy a one year old XFR.

Last edited by sparkenzap; 05-16-2013 at 11:26 AM.
longpassage (10-31-2014)
Old 05-16-2013, 11:44 PM

And from my perspective, Vonbunn, I would prefer an XJR, due to its supercharger based higher performance, stiffer suspension and concomitant improved handling... I like speed. I do, however, have an XJ8 and am pretty darn happy with all of the above criteria even though they are slightly bettered by the R version.

The one MAJOR advantage I can state RE: the XJR is the Mercedes transmission vs. the ZF that comes in the XJ8 - the ZF is famous for having a near fatal A drum failure at around 80,000 miles - usually costing thousands to repair. The R's Merc tranny has no similar issues.

Bottom line - if you're looking for comfort and luxury, the XJ8 is perfect. If you want more performance while not scrimping on the luxury (but losing just a bit of comfort) then the XJR gives you that extra 90 HP kick and the improved handling. Either way, the XJ series is a joy to drive and own as long as you are aware and tolerant of their idiosyncrasies.

RE the primary issues - I have found the majority to be related to electronics/connections and, as an electrical engineer, I have no trouble finding and fixing this kind of problem. SO, as far as I'm concerned, my XJ has been pretty trouble free since I got it 4 years ago with the dead tranny from my elderly father. However, he had spent literally thousands on issues in which I would have cleaned some contacts, yet the dealer ended up replacing components, instead... I have needed to replace nothing since.

My absolute bottom line? I am actively looking for a good deal on an XK8 (so I can have a sporty Jag) and if I somehow lost my XJ, I would go find another.

BTW, I also drive a Ford Explorer, a Winnebago to tow quads to the desert, and my CanAm Spyder (three wheeler) for summer riding fun when its too hot in the desert for quadding.

Good enough Reader's Digest condensed answer? Would have done it in the beginning if you had asked nice, LOL.

Last edited by QuadManiac; 05-16-2013 at 11:53 PM.
Old 05-17-2013, 08:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 540 Likes on 421 Posts

Hey Quadd- I have been scanning locally for XK8s (keeping an eye on prices) and they are slim pickens recently. Nothing in OC/LA at bargain prices. I am restoring an MGB and will most likely sell it and roll the $$ into an XK8.

Quick Reply: Differences Between XJR & XJ8