XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Drivers door lock- Any ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2011, 05:39 PM
Received 43 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Drivers door lock- Any ideas?

Bought a '01 XJ8 last October. Only got one key and remote with it. I've got to get to dealer (80 miles) to get spare keys. Went to open door today with remote and nothing but a light chirp. Tried to use key to unlock door and it did nothing. It's a black headed key - starts car and opens trunk with no problem, but it won't even turn in the door. So here I was, car locked, battery dead enough that lock actuators wouldn't operate, and key that won't unlock the car. Fortunately I was able to easily unlock trunk, throw a charger on the battery and get enough power (battery is apparently shot) that I got the remote to unlock the doors. My dilemma, should the remote battery die with the doors locked, I'll have no way to get into the car to reprogram the remote. I've tried the key with with enough power that the remote works the locks and I'm still unable to get lock to work. My question, should the lock turn in the same manner as the trunk lock or is it an electronic switch?

Old 02-23-2011, 08:35 PM
Rae
Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

bluerdg: Yes, the key should turn in the same manner as the trunk. Turn to right should lock the door, and left to unlock. It's been awhile since I've done this, but if you hold the key in position, it should also lower or raise the window. Can't remember if it does both. I don't know how long you've had the car, if if the key ever worked in the door, but it could be that the lock tumbler was swapped out at some point in the past, but it should've been ordered to match your key. I suspect this is unlikely to have occured though. I would try to work the lock manually with the door open to ensure rod is not bound up. You may need to remove interior door panel to further troubleshoot the rod linkage to latch assembly. Something may have become misaligned. Bottom line, your key should work. Go ahead and replace the key fob battery while everything else is charged up. Sorry I couldn't shed any more light on the issue.

Old 04-09-2011, 01:36 PM
Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

My drivers door has the same issue...the key goes in but wont turn either way. I just dont lock the doors!

Old 04-09-2011, 03:06 PM
Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Sounds like maybe someone switched the handle out and did not transfer the lock cylinder from the old one.

You could try pulling the handle and taking the cylinder to the dealer or a locksmith to have the tumblers fitted to your key.

Old 04-09-2011, 03:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,618 Likes on 874 Posts
Default Here is a Front Door Handle and Lock r&i from JTIS

Hi Bluerdg
I thought you might want to try to remove the door handle and lock with these instructions and illustrations from the JTIS CD.
There are 5 PDF files that cover what needs to be done:

xj8 2001 driver door handle lock r&i.pdf
XJ8 2001 Battery Ground Cable 86.15.19.pdf
XJ8 2001 Front Door Trim Panel 76.47.11.pdf
XJ8 2001 Front Door Trim Panel 76.34.01.pdf
XJ8 2001 Front Door Armrest 76.34.22.pdf

Jim Lombardi

The following 2 users liked this post by jimlombardi:
adriaxj8 (03-21-2012), Sean B (04-10-2011)
Old 04-10-2011, 12:23 PM

It looks like the key doesnt even go in all the way. How far is the head of the key from the door when it is fully inserted? I know it doesnt go in near as far as it does in the trunk. Thanks

Old 04-14-2011, 05:19 PM

Nobody can tell me if the key is supposed to go in the drivers door as far as it does the trunk? If this is not normal, what would cause it? Thanks

Old 04-14-2011, 06:30 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

also check the VIN number on the door. Could be a whole different door from another car if you do not know the history

Old 04-14-2011, 06:59 PM

The VINs match, thanks

Old 04-14-2011, 08:18 PM
Rae
Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

ixj8it: There is approximately 1/4" of key remaining outside of the door lock, on the trunk I have about 1/8" remaining. Since the VINS match, perhaps some crud of some type has gotten into the door lock key hole (long shot). Perhaps spraying out with a can of some type of cleaner with little red tube stuck in hole would help....? Or the tumblers could be messed up. Who knows. Even with matching VINS, someone could've changed out the lockset though, but, it should've been matched to original.

Old 04-14-2011, 08:36 PM
Received 70 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Rae
ixj8it: There is approximately 1/4" of key remaining outside of the door lock, on the trunk I have about 1/8" remaining. Since the VINS match, perhaps some crud of some type has gotten into the door lock key hole (long shot). Perhaps spraying out with a can of some type of cleaner with little red tube stuck in hole would help....? Or the tumblers could be messed up. Who knows. Even with matching VINS, someone could've changed out the lockset though, but, it should've been matched to original.
This sounds like the old trunk lock seizing issue, only with the driver's lock.

Spraying may fix it.

Old 04-14-2011, 09:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,618 Likes on 874 Posts
Default I had the same trouble with driver dr lock on my Acura

Hi
2 years ago, my key would not go all the way into the driver door lock on 1990 Acura Legend. The mechanic fixed it by taking the lock out of the door. He disassembled the lock and remove 2 of the tumblers. After that the key has worked perfectly all the time.

Probably someone else's key might work just as well if it is keyed somewhat like mine.

You might be able to find an indy mechanic who knows how to fix the lock after he takes it out.

Jim Lombardi

Old 04-15-2011, 06:15 AM

Good idea. I am just going to pull the lock cylinder out and take it apart. I cant possibly make it any less functional that it is now! I have tried liquid wrench a couple of times since I've had the car. Thanks for the replies. If I find a good fix, I will post it!

Old 03-20-2012, 07:36 PM
Default yo yo yo

Well here we are almost a year later and I just took apart the drivers side door lock cylinder since I was in the drivers door. The key wouldnt go in because the lock was from another car. I removed and notched all the tumblers so my key would slide in no problem all the way (see my earlier posts in this thread for more explanation.) Now it appears that the key will only turn in the direction to lock the door, it wont turn to the right to unlock it, only to the left. Also, when I try to unlock it by hand by pushing the rod down, the alarm will go off. This, of course, is after I had already locked the door by pulling up on the rod that runs to the lock cylinder. What is going on here? Is it only possible to lock the door with the factory key? I cant imagine why it wont turn left! I am going to take it apart one more time to see if anything is in a bind. Thanks in advance.
-Rob

EDIT: Well, we figured out the problem with the tumblers keeping us from having full key travel. Now the problem is that the door lock will lock the door and arm the alarm, but when I go to unlock it, it does, but the alarm sounds. What is the deal with this? This is using the key I start the car with. If you have any advice, please let me know. Thanks in advance!

Last edited by ixj8it; 03-20-2012 at 10:28 PM.
Old 03-21-2012, 07:21 AM

lol well to top it all off, my LF window motor has went out. Thank goodness it wasnt until I put in my new handle, lubricated the latch, and messed with the lock. I picked just the right day to swap the handle! I am still perplexed by the lock. I cant imagine why it would sound the alarm when I unlock it with the key. If it comes down to it, I wonder what the drawbacks of cutting the wires to the "sensor" on the latch are. Thanks again.