XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

driveshaft xjr

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 08:57 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default driveshaft xjr

I found out why I can't buy a center bearing for my 99 xjr. It is apparently permanently affixed to the drive shaft and can't be replaced. I am now looking for a used driveshaft for the car. I find plenty of xj8 driveshafts that would work, but wonder if they are the same part as the one for the xjr, given the different transmission. Any experience with this out there?

Old 08-21-2010, 11:33 PM

found a used one for 195 delivered. Will let you know how it goes.

Old 08-24-2010, 10:39 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I was told the same about the driveshaft on my 2003 xjr. The bearing is going bad and the dealer told me I needed a new driveshaft. They quoted me a price of $1400 (just for the part.) Even my service rep told me to check the internet as he thought they did not bother to check and just made up a price. I will be very interested to know how it goes with yours.

I live in Maryland and I am not mechanically inclined but I love my XJR and want to keep it going for as long as the car gods are willing. It only has 73,000 miles on it.

I'm looking for a source for parts, for the driveshaft and also for front shocks, etc. I can see the dealership is only looking to rip me off or is no longer interested in working on the "old" jags anymore. It's too bad since they are within walking distance of where I work. Do you have a suggestion for a parts place?

Good luck

Old 10-05-2010, 10:49 PM

So I finally had time to change out the driveshaft. I ordered it because the car clunked really loudly when I put it in gear. I crawled underneath the car on ramps and manipulated the shaft. The center bearing seemed to have excessive play, and having several vehicles over the years with two piece driveshafts and carrier bearings, the diagnosis seemed reasonable. I went to car-part.com and ordered a drive shaft, as I heard from conventry west, a good parts supplier, that the bearing did not come separately. If you have never tried one of these on-line used parts services, I got ten calls with a the part in fifteen minutes. Never commit to anybody until you hear the range of prices, then call back the one you want. I got prices from 175 to 875 from different people. I bought the one for 195 delivered, because the guy seemed to know jaguars better. Replacing the driveshaft is more of a job than it seems, removing mufflers and brackets....all frozen. When I removed the front of the shaft from the flexible coupling disc I found cracks in the disc that probably accounted for the clunking more than the bearing did. I always feel ok about overbuying parts because I have two cars, and eventually I will need the bearing again.
Reassembled, the car works flawlessly. What an improvement. I wish I would have done it months ago.

Old 10-13-2010, 02:23 PM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by johnleavitt
So I finally had time to change out the driveshaft. I ordered it because the car clunked really loudly when I put it in gear. I crawled underneath the car on ramps and manipulated the shaft. The center bearing seemed to have excessive play, and having several vehicles over the years with two piece driveshafts and carrier bearings, the diagnosis seemed reasonable. I went to car-part.com and ordered a drive shaft, as I heard from conventry west, a good parts supplier, that the bearing did not come separately. If you have never tried one of these on-line used parts services, I got ten calls with a the part in fifteen minutes. Never commit to anybody until you hear the range of prices, then call back the one you want. I got prices from 175 to 875 from different people. I bought the one for 195 delivered, because the guy seemed to know jaguars better. Replacing the driveshaft is more of a job than it seems, removing mufflers and brackets....all frozen. When I removed the front of the shaft from the flexible coupling disc I found cracks in the disc that probably accounted for the clunking more than the bearing did. I always feel ok about overbuying parts because I have two cars, and eventually I will need the bearing again.
Reassembled, the car works flawlessly. What an improvement. I wish I would have done it months ago.
I had a similar problem. I wish someone would've told me earlier a possible clunking resolution was changing out the driveshaft!

Anyway, a few months ago I bought a driveshaft and coupling disc for I think $300 off ebay. Put the sucker in and no more clunking.

Old 10-13-2010, 03:12 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Interesting. My Z also has a 2-piece drive-shaft but I replaced it with a 1-piece unit. It's much lighter than the 2-piece was, and frees up a couple of ponys. Any reason to avoid that route with an XJ?

Old 10-14-2010, 09:15 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thank you all for sharing your experiences, it has been very helpful to me. I will try car-part.com and see how it goes.

-Roxy

Old 10-14-2010, 12:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 342 Likes on 296 Posts

Johnleavitt - do you think it was the center bearing or the flex coupling?

Every MB I have ever owned has required a flex-disc at some point -- they make a "clunk" when you shift between drive and reverse. When I have had a shaft go -- it is a different sound.

I have never replaced on on my Jaguars -- they must be available separately.

Old 10-15-2010, 08:47 AM

It was the flex coupling

Old 12-22-2010, 03:52 PM
Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by johnleavitt
I would be interested to see what a drive shaft tech has to say about replacing the bearing. A good drive shaft shop which builds drive shafts could probably replace the bearing for a lot less money than buying even a used shaft. Has anyone with this problem tried this?

Old 07-06-2011, 04:40 PM
Received 47 Likes on 27 Posts

That's crazy. There is no way!
I will be taking the drive shaft off of my car pretty soon and sending it to the drive shaft shop. Center bearing raises hell sometimes. There is no way they cant fix that sucker up and beat a used drive shaft. There's no way! I will post with results.

Old 07-10-2011, 03:47 PM

P-rock,

Let us know how that goes....I have an extra drive shaft now, and would love to change out the carrier bearing. Let us know what bearing works. As for using used parts, if you have an idea of the mileage and condition of the part, my experience is that for many repairs they are the way to go. I do buy new parts for things that are hard to repair twice, or where it does not save money. For instance, my total cost to remove and replace the third member, including shipping, was $200, using a part from a car with 80,000 miles. I thought that was good, compared to the price of new parts.

Old 07-10-2012, 11:06 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Carrier Bearing

I don't know..but Timken sells the race and bearing for the carrier bearing. Haven't tried it yet..but unsure why they would sell it if it indeed can not be replaced?

Old 07-10-2012, 01:23 PM
Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

car-parts.com is my first stop to shop. Just like the dealer told me that the front lower ball joints can't be replaced and I would need to purchase the completed control arms. NOT, $60 later and few hours of work, I have new ball joints.

If its on, it can come off, is my motto.

But, check the flex disc, that would most likely be the problem for the chucking. Only because the center bearing just spins, basically no movement.

Better yet, place the car on ramps, block the front wheels and put on the parking brakes. Ask somebody you trust, to help you. While you are under the car, have them to keep their foot brakes and shift the car gears and see if you can see movement.

SGB.

Last edited by sbreeden; 07-10-2012 at 01:28 PM.
Old 07-11-2012, 10:45 PM
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

the hanger bearing is not sold for a 98 and up but it is sold for a 95 to 97 xj6 and i have removed and replaced the hanger bearings before and used a 95 xj6 hanger bearing and sleve cover for slip splines and it has worked fine 5 time so far. i have not do it on a xjr but i would try it. good luck

The following 3 users liked this post by m4byfun:
cjesse444 (05-11-2016), Japthug (06-01-2016), plums (07-12-2012)
Old 01-30-2013, 10:37 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Prop shaft vendor?

John,
I have the same prop shaft issue with a xj8 2005. Who did you use to get your $195 delivered propshaft?

Mike Oldak