Go Back   Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum > Jaguar Models ( Modern ) > XJ ( X308 ) XJ8 / XJR
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

XJ ( X308 ) XJ8 / XJR 1997 - 2003

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-26-2011, 02:12 PM

Default Engine Revs Really High on Start Up

Hi All,

Apologies if this seems like a newbie question. My car is an 01 XJR.

So the other day, I start my engine and upon start up, my RPM goes up to like 3500 RPM....then a few seconds later, comes back down to a normal 1100 or so. Also there are times when I am driving and although my foot is not on the accelerator, the engine revs up a little bit. It seems to rev on it's own. For the most part, it drives fine otherwise.

Any suggestions on what it could be? Could it be the secondary chain tensioners?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-26-2011, 04:10 PM
Veteran Member

possible throttle body issue. There was a recall many moons ago. Have you got an engine warning light on the dash by any chance when this occurs?
*1962 E Type Coupe
*1966 MKII 3.4 m.o.d
Old 01-26-2011, 04:24 PM
Veteran Member

If the ECM looses its fuel trim information, primarily due to loss of battery power it will rev high, usually only to about 3k, for a couple seconds then drift down to normal RPM. Your second statement does, indeed sound like the throttle body, or rather the Throttle Position Sensor.
1981 Volvo Bertone Coupe - 25k original miles http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=256460
Old 01-27-2011, 12:46 AM

A quick clean of the throttle position sensor connector might help you, a 5 minute job. Had the same symptoms a year+ ago, cleaning both halves of the connectors' pins with Radio Shack contact cleaner/lubricant took care of the issue - corrosion on the pins due to dissimilar metals (there's a TSB about this).
Old 01-27-2011, 09:27 AM
Veteran member

I hate to admit this, but my car did this just last week, and after several starts with high revs, I got a CEL light yesterday. Taking the laptop home today (the one with the autoenginuity program on it) to discover what is amiss. I'll repost up when I have something to diagnose.

Go Texas Tech!

Old 01-27-2011, 10:52 AM

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I will check out the the throttle body sensor and keep you posted. Sean B, I do not get the engine warning light. I do have the ASC/ABS not available light, but I don't think they are related.
Old 01-29-2011, 02:39 PM
Veteran member

My CEL cleared itself after a few days of the rough starting condition. My code reader observed the multiple misfires on bank 1 only. It also captured the data from the CEL appearing, and it showed my air intake was only 0.99 lb/min...which at normal idle, is around 4 lb/min. So, I removed my air pip and mass air flow sensor, cleaned the inside with the special MAFS product, and then did the connector harness and receiving pins with electronics cleaner...as they were dusty (and never been cleaned). Snugly reinstalled, and the line coming off the elbow of the pipe nearest the TB is very loose, perhaps that o-ring is getting tired. I removed, cleaned it, and snapped it back on. Starts have been much better following this cleaning a few days ago.

let us know what you find mike.

Go Texas Tech!

Old 01-31-2011, 04:58 PM

To h20boy,

To be completely honest, I am very inexperienced when it comes to working on cars...so even something as simple as cleaning the connectors on the sensors takes a lot of time for me...since i need to research first exactly what it is you guys are talking about...then trying to locate it in my car. I know...pretty pathetic. I haven't had time to look into this yet. Hopefully I can get around to it this weekend.

The high rev at start up is the only issue for now...other than that...the car is running fine. I will keep you posted.
Old 01-31-2011, 05:02 PM

A Jaguar is the kind of car where either you need to be mechanically inclined, or have a lot of money. Sometimes both!
Old 01-31-2011, 08:37 PM
Veteran member

Mike, call me when you have an hour to work on this, i'll be happy describe to you what product to get, and walk you through the process over the phone. I'll PM you my cell number to keep handy. Tools needed - 10mm socket and a small ratchet or one of those screwdriver/socket drive tools, plus a phillips screwdriver.

Go Texas Tech!

Old 01-31-2011, 08:37 PM

Tags
99, car, engine, high, idels, it, jaguar, rev, revs, seconds, st, start, started, starting, starts, startup, xj8