XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Heated screen relays question ??

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2013, 10:54 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Heated screen relays question ??

Hello, I wonder if anyone can help?
I would like some help replacing the bulkhead relays, for my heated front screen. I have sourced two new relays, but cant quite figure out the best way to get access to the old ones. It would be great if someone could help.

I have checked and replaced the fuses and the relays seem to be the next logical step.

Cheers,

Stuart

4.0ltr 1998 X308/XJ8

Old 05-09-2013, 03:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,618 Likes on 874 Posts

Hi
The 2 heated Windshield Relays are located under the center bulkhead cover in the engine compartment.

Here are 2 JPEG files that will help.
I use google chrome and Mozilla firefox to view the dropbox JPEG files. For some reason I have problems viewing these JPEG files with internet explorer.

Photo of the Engine compartment bulkheads - provided by forum member OldMike:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wypm1b5g1g...rs%20Photo.jpg

Heated Windshield Relays location Diagrams Illustrations (click on image when dropbox webpage opens to get a better view):

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3z3djys0h5...20Location.jpg

You will need to remove at least one side bulkhead to release the center bulkhead, also need to remove center bulkhead holddown fastener (1/4 turn to remove it).

Looks like there is a lower locking tab on the relay that will have to be released.

Here is JPEG showing 2 photos of the relay - part# LNA6706AA:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jtr1xwy186...y%20Photos.jpg

I believe in a lot of photos.

Jim Lombardi

Last edited by jimlombardi; 05-09-2013 at 04:43 AM.
Old 05-10-2013, 03:56 AM

Hi Jim,

thanks for the detailed reply. I should have been a bit clearer, I have located the relays, it's getting access to them. The black 2 piece unit, I presume part of the wiring loom, is blocking access. I was after some information on getting this out of the way, so I can replace the relays. Hopefully there is a way of doing this, without having to unbolt loads of stuff from the bulkhead. I am not very adventurous with mechanical bits and pieces and always like to have some guidance.

Cheers,

Stuart.

Old 05-10-2013, 08:26 AM
Veteran Member

Stuart
I am not able to help with any photos or instructions since our 2001 XJ8 does not have the heated front windshield option.

Hope some other forum members with experience with replacing those 2 relays will respond.

Jim Lombardi

The following users liked this post:
stuartrkirby (05-10-2013)
Old 05-10-2013, 11:43 AM
Received 238 Likes on 168 Posts

The black 2-piece unit you mention can be moved enough to gain access to the relays by removing the 13mm bolt that holds the unit to the mounting bracket. You can't move it completely out of the way, but you can move it enough to access the 2 relays below.

I have the same problem on my XJR & checked the fuses & relays-they were all fine. The problem was the screen itself & connectors. I took the windscreen wiper off to remove the scuttle trim & expose the inner connectors to the front screen.

The connectors were fine & when I measured the electrical resistance of the screen itself, it was open-circuit at the screen connectors. The switched 12v supply was getting to the connectors fine, but the problem was the screen itself & it's bonded connectors.

In my case it wasn't the relays or fuses-so I didn't bother to replace the windscreen as the normal interior fan heaters do a good job of demisting the screen, although of course it's not instant heat as the engine has to warm up a bit first...

stuartrkirby (05-10-2013)
Old 05-10-2013, 01:06 PM

Cheers,
I will give that a try. The windscreen is a non-jag replacement. I have a feeling it might be the problem, but I will replace the relays, just in case.

I have the usual heater pump problem (takes about 5 minutes to get warm). One of the next jobs is to get a refurbed pump and replace it. No one said owning a JAGUAR is easy, but it puts a smile on my face everyday.

I will let you know how I get on with the RELAYS..

Stuart.

Old 05-11-2013, 06:56 AM
Smile

Originally Posted by Red October
The black 2-piece unit you mention can be moved enough to gain access to the relays by removing the 13mm bolt that holds the unit to the mounting bracket. You can't move it completely out of the way, but you can move it enough to access the 2 relays below.

I have the same problem on my XJR & checked the fuses & relays-they were all fine. The problem was the screen itself & connectors. I took the windscreen wiper off to remove the scuttle trim & expose the inner connectors to the front screen.

The connectors were fine & when I measured the electrical resistance of the screen itself, it was open-circuit at the screen connectors. The switched 12v supply was getting to the connectors fine, but the problem was the screen itself & it's bonded connectors.

In my case it wasn't the relays or fuses-so I didn't bother to replace the windscreen as the normal interior fan heaters do a good job of demisting the screen, although of course it's not instant heat as the engine has to warm up a bit first...

Followed your advice, managed to replace them.

Thanks for the info,

Stuart.

Old 05-11-2013, 04:28 PM
Received 238 Likes on 168 Posts

Happy to help-did the new relays fix the fault?

Old 05-12-2013, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by Red October
Happy to help-did the new relays fix the fault?

Not too sure, I don't think so. No click from relays, no drop in RPM when switched on. I will get someone with a meter to check the wiring and connections. Most likely it's the screen itself.

My neighbour suggested a dodgy insurance claim, but I am far too honest.

Worth a try fixing the simpler bits first.

Cheers,

Stuart.

Old 03-27-2016, 05:38 PM

Hello I have just recently got a 1998 xj8 the windscreen heaters don't seem to be working and I think it is worth a look at the fuses and relays , to begin with ...which fuses should I be checking I assume that it is number 2 in the engine compartment left hand side which is screen heaters relay (UK car) and also 15 and 17 in engine management fusebox ...am I right? But I'm a novice so all advice gratefully received thanks Trevor

Old 03-29-2016, 11:10 PM
Veteran Member

Fuse #2 is 5 amp - Engine Compartment fusebox (22 fuses).
Fuse #15 is 30 amp - Windscreen left-hand heater in Engine Mangement fusebox - (18 fuses)
Fuse #17 is 30 amp - Windscreen right-hand heater

There are 2 relays (for front Windscreen - left-hand heater and other right-hand heater) in the engine compartment - centrally at bulkhead

Here is a youtube video on how to test a relay:

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=...BA81&FORM=VIRE

Last edited by jimlombardi; 03-29-2016 at 11:14 PM.
trevor24 (03-30-2016)