XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Trunk, Trip Computer and Low beam problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2011, 03:03 PM
Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Trunk, Trip Computer and Low beam problems

Hi there jag fans.

I have just bought a Jaguar XJ8 (X308) with 3.2 V8 Engine, Sport Class and I have a few problems I cannot resolve by myself, neither can I find answers searching across the forum. These are my questions, one by one:

1. The trip computer button (with the label TRIP on it) on the top of the left lever (the one used for control of the sidelights/winkers) is not working. On the dashboard display the odometer does appear properly, even the trip distances for both A and B, including all the messages like DRIVER DOOR OPEN - everything is there, and the trip control buttons (000, m/k, A/B, CLEAR) are working just fine. But when I try to switch to trip computer with the TRIP button - nothing happens. First I was thinking about a fuse problem, but then I realized that it is impossible. Can someone tell me - how to fix this? Could it just be a broken lever? Or maybe some kind of "frozen" software or bug on the trip computer which needs to be restarted?

2. The trunk is stuck... I know there are a lot of posts about this issue, but all of them are about trunks that cannot be opened at all even with key or about forgotten keys inside. Mine seems to have some kind of electrical problem, because I can't open it from inside the car (using the trunk release button), neither with the remote control or using the sweet jaguar-faced button on the center of the trunk. BUT I do open it without any problem using the keys just by turning the keyhole on the JX8 metal plate on the right side of the trunk. Again - it seems like a fuse problem, but still - I'm not sure where or what to look for.

3. My car is brought from UK and I'm from Bulgaria... Here we don't have problems with driving and registering right-handed cars, BUT!!! When registering in the local police authority they require the direction of the light thrown by the low beam should be fixed - right now it has a tilt-up on the left which is pointing directly at other drivers. For countries with left-handed driving this tilt must point to the right.
I know the easiest way to fix this is by ordering new headlights and I already did this, but the problem is that the fastest delivery for this parts to Bulgaria is almost 3 weeks, and if don't register my car within 5 days I'll have to pay a huge fine. So my question is - is there a way to rotate the low beam headlights or to reverse the light tilt?! I know there is switch on the back of the headlight for adjustment of the height of the light, but is there a way to "move" the angle of the horizon of the light?!

Thank you in advance for your cooperation.

Best regards from Bulgaria,

Stilan

Old 10-28-2011, 08:44 AM

Strange, no replies at all Maybe it's a good idea to make some updates over my questions.

As for starting - the question #3 about the low beam headlights is solved by changing the glasses/lenses of both left and right headlights with new ones. So I don't have any problems with this and I already registered my car in local authorities.

About my first question - the trip computer. I found a similar topic in another forum and there they have advised the owner to try start the engine while holding the trip button pressed... and if nothing appears it would mean the problem is coming from the button itself... or with other words - the whole left switch lever have to be replaced.
Is anyone around here able to confirm this?! If yes - can someone tell me how to disassemble this lever from the cluster board?

About the trunk - I've checked all the fuses... everything seems to be ok, so I think is time to check to small electrical-release motor inside the trunk. Any other suggestions?

Old 10-29-2011, 10:08 AM
Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Trunk issue is probably broken wires in the loom near the trunk hinge. Search the forum and you will find a few more details.

Old 10-29-2011, 03:28 PM

The problem is already fixed. As dneider suggested - the problem is coming from the wires near the trunk hinge. To avoid further issues with this, I just added some thermal tube around the wires so they won't cut off in future.

Here is a photo of where the problem appeared (this is under the right trunk-holder looking from behind the car. The plastic cup can be removed easily by pulling it):

The following users liked this post:
Samilcar (11-26-2015)
Old 10-31-2011, 03:01 AM

I managed to fix the last standing problem with the trunk release - the not-working round button on the trunk (the one with the jag-head on it). I disassembled the silver panel which is holding the button and found out that behind the button there is a switch. Being very careful I managed to change the switch with a new one and now it's working again. The problem is that the entire button mechanism is exposed to the weather conditions and humidity and with time the electrical parts stops working properly.

Now the only problem remains with the TRIP button. I'm still trying to find out if the button is broken or the problem is related to the wiring as I don't want to order a whole left steering column indicator switch before I'm 100% sure the problem is there (at least I'm not in UK and ordering from ebay is not such an easy job).
My question is - can someone provide me a wiring diagram of the switch or tell me which colors are from the trip button? I want to try to "simulate" the button push by closing the wiring circuit, but there are 6 wires coming out from the switch and I'm afraid I can do a short circuit.

Old 01-30-2012, 03:28 PM

It's been a while since I've first posted this thread It was one of my first appearances around here

BUT! The problem is that I still haven't fixed the issue with the TRIP button on the left dashboard lever. Can anyone suggest anything about it

Old 06-17-2012, 10:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trip Computer inoperative

Hi Stilan - did you resolve the trip computer issue? I have exactly the same problem - the button does not cycle through the mpg, instant fuel usage and range.

Old 06-18-2012, 05:18 AM

Originally Posted by sbj166
Hi Stilan - did you resolve the trip computer issue? I have exactly the same problem - the button does not cycle through the mpg, instant fuel usage and range.
Yes, I did... The problem was inside the left steering column - one of the wires was cut (maybe because the often move when switching winkers). I just had to renew the soldering and it's working as it should

The problem is that you have to remove the steering wheel to have good access. Be careful with the airbag!!!

The following users liked this post:
sbj166 (06-20-2012)