XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

How to replace a fuel pump jaguar xj8 2000

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2010, 04:35 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How to replace a fuel pump jaguar xj8 2000

maybe somebody give me any tips how i can disconnect fuel lines from the bottom fuel tank in my jag ?

Old 10-05-2010, 04:48 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,207 Likes on 1,700 Posts

The instructions are for a XK8 but should be near the same http://www.gusglikas.com/AutoRepairFuelPump.htm

Old 10-06-2010, 10:13 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default to Gus

Men, thanks a thousand times. When i ask in jag service they sad me they got special tools to do that You the only one which didn't send me to service

Old 10-06-2010, 04:24 PM
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

To Gus: Thank you for the CLEAR and DETAILED instructions for replacing a fuel pump. If I have come across it a little sooner I could have saved $700 and a towing fee for my 2002 XJ8.

Old 10-06-2010, 04:27 PM
Gus
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Alvin Burns
To Gus: Thank you for the CLEAR and DETAILED instructions for replacing a fuel pump. If I have come across it a little sooner I could have saved $700 and a towing fee for my 2002 XJ8.
You need to go to my page and see what I have!

Old 10-07-2010, 05:42 PM
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

I did go to your page and found a treasure chest of repair instructions even I can understand. I am bookmarking your page for sure. Thanks for calling it to my attention!

Old 10-07-2010, 09:52 PM
wfd
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Need help reomving xj8 fuel tank.

Originally Posted by Gus
The instructions are for a XK8 but should be near the same http://www.gusglikas.com/AutoRepairFuelPump.htm
Hi Gus, I checked out your site regarding the XK8 tank removal. Thanks for posting. If I'm correct, you mention that step 3 fuel tank and hoses removal should be fairly the same process as removing my XJ8 VDP. I just need to clarify.
Thanks,
Bill

Old 10-08-2010, 06:25 AM
Gus
Veteran Member

Bill,

Replacing the fuel pump is one of the jobs I have not done myself but from what I was told it is near the same. Maybe someone that has done both could chime in and tell us the difference between the two.

Old 10-08-2010, 08:11 AM
Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

As I recall there were not any major differences.

Old 10-08-2010, 10:21 AM
wfd

Originally Posted by Gus
Bill,

Replacing the fuel pump is one of the jobs I have not done myself but from what I was told it is near the same. Maybe someone that has done both could chime in and tell us the difference between the two.

Thanks Gus. I was observing my mechanic while he was trying to remove the tank. He was trying to pry it from the bottom without detaching the fuel line leading to the fuel inlet (where you actually put gas in). Thank God common sense kicked in for him. He decided to stop and wait for his brother who is the actual Jag expert. I did send him a copy of your procedure. Hopefully he reads it and consults with his brother. Thanks for you help.

Old 10-08-2010, 10:24 AM
wfd
Unhappy

Originally Posted by dneider
As I recall there were not any major differences.

Thanks dneider. The tank is coming off today unfortunately I wont be there to take photos of the procedure. Darn!!! I also should have gotten the fuel pump online as it is much more cheaper. $210 for a new one at the dealer. Double darn!!

Old 10-09-2010, 01:01 AM
Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

There are a couple of techniques for removing the gas rank that aren't outlines in the pdf may want to do a quick search. Also there is a separate thread covering different fuel pump options.

Old 10-09-2010, 11:00 AM
wfd

Originally Posted by dneider
There are a couple of techniques for removing the gas rank that aren't outlines in the pdf may want to do a quick search. Also there is a separate thread covering different fuel pump options.
Thanks, since I already purchased it, I now have to decide what I should replace when they start inspecting the knocking noise. Hopefully it's just the water pump. I did ask them to inspect the tensioners to see if they are the new ones. I had to give them a photo of the tensioners so that they can compare.

Old 10-10-2010, 04:39 PM
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

If *insanity* is indeed trying the same thing whilst expecting different results, i would again suggest the whole job is a 2 hour undertaking if you just pull the pump only, up through the rear package shelf....no undercar, no tank removal, no grease or dirt.

Can't tell you the number of dangerously mangled fuel lines I've seen under rear of these cars, since ignorance and a larger hammer conquers all....

Old 10-11-2010, 02:15 PM
Received 120 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by bloweraddict
If *insanity* is indeed trying the same thing whilst expecting different results, i would again suggest the whole job is a 2 hour undertaking if you just pull the pump only, up through the rear package shelf....no undercar, no tank removal, no grease or dirt.

Can't tell you the number of dangerously mangled fuel lines I've seen under rear of these cars, since ignorance and a larger hammer conquers all....
I don't know about other cars, but on my 1999 XJR, there is no possibility of doing this. The panel over the tank is solid metal, excepting for where the speaker is mounted, and that does not line up with the fuel pumps. Sure would have been a nice design implement if they HAD done that... Maybe on the '00 XJ8 it's different? See attachment for photo of mine.

FYI, I pulled my tank with lines in place, and yes, they got mangled. I was fortunately able to bend them back into shape and use them still. It's been almost a year and no leaks. I would highly recommend using the line removal tool shown above (GUS's link I believe) and pull the lines first. They will be a lot harder to replace if destroyed.

Attached Thumbnails How to replace a fuel pump jaguar xj8 2000-tray-above-fuel-pumps.jpg  

Last edited by SuperSport; 10-11-2010 at 02:37 PM.
Old 10-11-2010, 04:21 PM
Received 89 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by SuperSport
I don't know about other cars, but on my 1999 XJR, there is no possibility of doing this. The panel over the tank is solid metal, excepting for where the speaker is mounted, and that does not line up with the fuel pumps. Sure would have been a nice design implement if they HAD done that... Maybe on the '00 XJ8 it's different? See attachment for photo of mine.

FYI, I pulled my tank with lines in place, and yes, they got mangled. I was fortunately able to bend them back into shape and use them still. It's been almost a year and no leaks. I would highly recommend using the line removal tool shown above (GUS's link I believe) and pull the lines first. They will be a lot harder to replace if destroyed.

Bloweraddict was referring to his solution - cutting a hole in the metal below the parcel shelf - outlined in his post below. Certainly sounds like an easy alternative.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...922#post234922

Old 10-12-2010, 10:07 AM
wfd

My tank finally came off and all I can say is that it's a task that requires 2 or 3 people to accomplish. My mechanics did raise my VDP to remove a bolt/screw from inside (behind the seats). They also disconnected one of the trunk support rods (closest to the gas tank fuel insert) as well. They also did a great job not shredding any wires. I highly recommend OEM factory fuel pumps. Works like a charm. We got the car to run!!!! . Now all I need to do is fix the engine knock .

Old 10-13-2010, 12:00 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks Gus, your site helps a lot.
Cheers
Gareth
South Africa

Old 10-25-2017, 07:14 PM
Received 59 Likes on 27 Posts

It looks like the fuel pump in my brother's '03 XJ8 has failed. Where is a good place to get a replacement?

Old 11-04-2017, 01:15 PM
Received 59 Likes on 27 Posts

I ordered a replacement pump here: https://www.jaguarlandroveroemparts.com/
My brother did NOT want an after market pump. It is absolutely the heaviest fuel pump I have ever had in my hand.

Very strange thing happened when I placed the order, long story. Local Jaguar dealer told me that the pump would cost $580. The place I used on line had it listed for about $385. I ordered the part Friday, on Monday they charged me $274 which included $18 shipping. That blew me away.

Besides that, I made a mistake and believed a YouTube video replacement where a guy "tolikz05" claimed that there was NO NEED to disconnect the fuel lines under the car. Well, I now have a leak that I need to investigate. Grrrr.

Quick Reply: How to replace a fuel pump jaguar xj8 2000