XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Need to do Front and Rear Brakes.

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2011, 11:38 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Need to do Front and Rear Brakes.

Hello Everyone:

I need to replace the front and rear brakes on my 01 XJ8. The Mechanic told me I needed to replace the Discs, Calipers and Pads. I am thinking of doing it myself. First, what are the parts number? Second, Is it a hard to do by myself? I've never done such a job. Third, I have read through the forum that Akebono are good pads. Redstuff are better. What do you guys recommend for my XJ8? Are there any other parts that I should replace? Are there any instructions on how to do this?

Thank you for always helping out.

Griztkojr
2001 Jaguar XJ8

Old 05-12-2011, 12:17 PM
Received 90 Likes on 22 Posts

Pads: I've used $40~60 pads from my local Advanced Auto Parts store.
Rotors: changed mine at ~70k (don’t remember brand paid ~$140 for a pair - front) and at 155k now, they still look good.
Calipers: unless there is something wrong with those, I wouldn't worry about it.

Changing pads and rotors is a piece of cake though. Make sure you have an adjustable C-clamp, and 7mm torx bit (I'm pretty sure it's 7mm )
Remember to unscrew the cap on the brake fluid reservoir, and wrap a towel around the top of it to catch any spill-over when you compress the caliper cylinder to make room for new (thicker) pads. And don't forget to screw it back on when done, or it will be a very short test drive....
Good luck.

The following users liked this post:
zonecruiser (06-20-2015)
Old 05-12-2011, 01:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 401 Likes on 298 Posts
Default Brakes

I have heard that the Akebono pads are the best and don't produce much brake dust, but that's a personal decision. I mean to try them next pad change. I agree with mzs_biteme on the calipers. You should not need new calipers unless something is leaking or sticking. I would go ahead and flush the fluid too when you bleed them. Might as well. It's not really a bad job. Removing the calipers to fit the new rotors is the hardest part. Use some PB Blaster, a lot of leverage, and the right tool.

Old 05-12-2011, 01:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,337 Likes on 1,056 Posts

What's wrong with o.e.m pads? EBC are a well known brand with excellent support, like free anti noise shims included.
Discs you can find from one of the forum sponsors, if not see here...
Jaguar XJ8 - XJR--Brakes
if nothing else, this site can supply the part numbers you needed.

Calipers, I'd be included to agree, they don't fail, unless leaking fluid is the problem, then it's piston seals, and kits can be bought to refurb them.

Just to add, if you have a look at this thread, it shows you how to do the job. a read through, get the tools together and get a bit mucky! good luck and I hope this helps.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/j...63/#post189136

Last edited by Sean B; 05-12-2011 at 02:09 PM.
Old 05-12-2011, 03:35 PM
Default Thank you Guys!!

As always great information. I will order the parts and keep you posted.

Old 05-13-2011, 01:34 AM
Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

I recently completed a brake job @ 59K miles, and I found the rotors could be turned once--thus saving some $. I used Wagner ThermoQuiet brakes--but they are semi-metallac pads. Any of the major brake companies' pads will be adequate.

Many car owners are switching over to ceramic pads--to avoid generating so much disc dust.

As you get into your brake job, you'll realize how absolutely conventional Jaguar brakes are. They're very easy cars to do brake jobs on. Those murderous days of doing inboard brake repairs on XKE's are gone.

Old 05-13-2011, 09:04 PM
Default The Parts.

So, this is what I ordered.

2 BECK ARNLEY PREMIUM FRONT AND REAR BRAKE ROTOR, VENTED.
4 EBC REDSTUFF LOW DUST SUPERSTREET BRAKE PADS (FRONT AND REAR).

ALL FOR $597.04

WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK?

Old 05-14-2011, 07:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,618 Likes on 874 Posts

Hi
You received a good deal. Where did you get this deal?

These rotors and pads totaled $563.41 after $15 promo code (SAVE15) including shipping at parts geek.com

Need to do Front and Rear Brakes.-xj8-brake-pads-rotors-parts-geek.jpg

$703.10 at Auto Parts Warehouse.com

Advance Auto Parts.com for the same rotors with Akebono ultra premium ceramic pads and applying 25% promo discount code (BRKX) totaled $563.95 with pickup at their store.

Jim Lombardi

Last edited by jimlombardi; 05-14-2011 at 08:15 AM.
Old 05-14-2011, 12:32 PM

I got the parts at AutoPartsWarehouse. I checked AdvanceAutoParts but they did not have the Front Premiun Beck Arnley Rotors in stock or for store pickup but they did have a better price so I got AutoPartsWarehouse to match price. For the rest I got 10% discount.

I always call instead of placing the order online.

Old 05-14-2011, 01:31 PM
Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

why did he suggest to replace the calipers? i thought those last for ever?

Old 05-14-2011, 05:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 342 Likes on 296 Posts

It is always interesting to know the manufacturing location -- Are they in a BA box? Just wondering as BA is a reseller.

Autohaus sells Zimmerman rotors -- but only for the rear -- less than $60.00.

I have never purchased a Zimmermann rotor that was not made in Germany -- I did recently get a set from Brembo that was made in China.

The OE rotors from Jaguar come in a set -- made in UK. The OE pads are Jurid from Germany.

Old 05-14-2011, 08:42 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just put new pads on the rears, and replaced the front discs. I am a big fan of EBC Redstuff, and have them on all four corners of both cars now. I am a little confused by the price you paid for front discs. I looked around online and most places had them for between $70-100 a piece. I actually got my from Auto Parts Warehouse | Car Parts, Truck Parts & Auto Body Parts Online - Free Shipping on most Auto Accessories & Performance Parts – AutoPartsWarehouse for what i thought was a great deal at $30.95 a piece. The part number is W0133-1612728..

Old 05-14-2011, 09:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,618 Likes on 874 Posts

Hi
The price now is about $78 for that part number (Brembo rotors) there on their website.

Jim Lombardi

Old 05-14-2011, 10:21 PM
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by griztkojr
Hello Everyone:

I need to replace the front and rear brakes on my 01 XJ8. The Mechanic told me I needed to replace the Discs, Calipers and Pads. I am thinking of doing it myself. First, what are the parts number? Second, Is it a hard to do by myself? I've never done such a job. Third, I have read through the forum that Akebono are good pads. Redstuff are better. What do you guys recommend for my XJ8? Are there any other parts that I should replace? Are there any instructions on how to do this?

Thank you for always helping out.

Griztkojr
2001 Jaguar XJ8
I did my brakes today. Front ones. There are two 17mm bolts at the rear of caliper and they hold a caliper to the upper link. A little testy to remove
without an impact wrench. Use a breaker bar if you remove these manually. Other then that easy to do. I have also replaced rotors a Jaguar OEM rotor (at Jagbits.com) can run about $80.00 or you can find cheaper ones at Auto Zone or Advance Auto Parts. I bought ceramic pads for $50.00. If you need brake fluid get Prestone DOT4 synthetic fluid for about $3.80 per 12 oz can. I used 1 1/2 cans to replace brake fluid.
You can do web search for the brake parts and find brake parts corresponding to your model and a year. There are plenty available.
JTIS has a very good page on doing the brakes if you can get hold of one.
Good luck
The inner brake pad is fitted with a clip which secures the pad into the caliper piston.+Remove brake pads from caliper housing.+Discard brake pads.
Akebono ceramic pads are very good. Rotors new are 1.023 inches thick and Jaguar manufacturer recommends minimum rotor thickness to be 0.98 inch (25mm)

Good luck

burza
1998 Vanden Plas

Last edited by burza; 05-14-2011 at 10:27 PM.
Old 05-15-2011, 09:00 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jimlombardi
Hi
The price now is about $78 for that part number (Brembo rotors) there on their website.

Jim Lombardi
I guess I must have hit a sale without knowing it..

Old 05-15-2011, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by pdog2000
why did he suggest to replace the calipers? i thought those last for ever?
I think the guy was trying to con me. That is why i decided to do it myself.

Old 05-15-2011, 09:33 AM

I will let you know as soon as I get the parts. I think Beck Arnley are made in Germany.

Old 05-15-2011, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by burza
I did my brakes today. Front ones. There are two 17mm bolts at the rear of caliper and they hold a caliper to the upper link. A little testy to remove
without an impact wrench. Use a breaker bar if you remove these manually. Other then that easy to do. I have also replaced rotors a Jaguar OEM rotor (at Jagbits.com) can run about $80.00 or you can find cheaper ones at Auto Zone or Advance Auto Parts. I bought ceramic pads for $50.00. If you need brake fluid get Prestone DOT4 synthetic fluid for about $3.80 per 12 oz can. I used 1 1/2 cans to replace brake fluid.
You can do web search for the brake parts and find brake parts corresponding to your model and a year. There are plenty available.
JTIS has a very good page on doing the brakes if you can get hold of one.
Good luck
The inner brake pad is fitted with a clip which secures the pad into the caliper piston.+Remove brake pads from caliper housing.+Discard brake pads.
Akebono ceramic pads are very good. Rotors new are 1.023 inches thick and Jaguar manufacturer recommends minimum rotor thickness to be 0.98 inch (25mm)

Good luck

burza
1998 Vanden Plas
Thank your for the Tips. I was trying to run JTIS but it is giving me issues running on MS Windows 7.

Old 05-15-2011, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by Husker4
I just put new pads on the rears, and replaced the front discs. I am a big fan of EBC Redstuff, and have them on all four corners of both cars now. I am a little confused by the price you paid for front discs. I looked around online and most places had them for between $70-100 a piece. I actually got my from Auto Parts Warehouse | Car Parts, Truck Parts & Auto Body Parts Online - Free Shipping on most Auto Accessories & Performance Parts – AutoPartsWarehouse for what i thought was a great deal at $30.95 a piece. The part number is W0133-1612728..
Here is the breakdown:

(2) Front Rotors : Beck Arnley (Part #083-2803) $71.28 each
(2) Rear Rotors : Beck Arnley (Part #083-2678) $143.79 each
(1) Set of Front EBC RedStuff Ceramic Pads $88.47
(1) Set of Rear EBC RedStuff Ceramic Pads $78.53
Total $597.14

You got a great deal on the Dics. They go for $78.95 right now.

Old 05-15-2011, 11:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,749 Likes on 7,100 Posts

Originally Posted by griztkojr
I think the guy was trying to con me. That is why i decided to do it myself.

Caliper problems can and do crop up from time to time but many outfits...esepcially large franchise repair chains, it seems....are in love with summary replacement of calipers, usually with the pitch of "....we can't guarantee the work unless we replace all the calipers at the same time"

It's a load of hooey.

Cheers
DD

Quick Reply: Need to do Front and Rear Brakes.