XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Opinions on what is the best oil filter available today?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2014, 02:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 278 Likes on 193 Posts
Default Opinions on what is the best oil filter available today?

Just curious what brands you guys recommend that are available in the USA.

I've been using Wicks, have not had any issues.

Old 02-14-2014, 02:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,749 Likes on 7,100 Posts

Wix/Napa, AC Delco, Purolator, OEM Jaguar......I'm sure any of them will be good. I would 'recommend' them.

Which is 'best' is another question entirely, and one I can't answer

I'm normally pretty nonchalant on the subject but one lesser known brand that has caught my eye is Baldwin. Those who use them are usually very intensely convinced that they're 'the best'. Probably worth researching.

I'm sure others will chime in.

Cheers
DD

Old 02-14-2014, 02:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 152 Likes on 131 Posts

GENUINE Jaguar Oil Filters 02C2N3587, 4H23-6714-BA

I use OEM, you will find a deal from time to time on Ebay

Old 02-14-2014, 04:06 PM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

I bet you'll search for a long long time trying to come up with some credible evidence that there's a best filter. My guess is such a study would find that it makes no difference in a real world, practical sense.

Old 02-14-2014, 05:14 PM
Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts

I just go with the Jaguar EAZ1354 OEM oil filter for the 2000 XJR. I think it is simply a personal preference for me to use the original equipment filter. I had a friend who used an elaborate bypass filtration system that filtered out extremely small particles.

Old 02-14-2014, 05:48 PM
Veteran Member

Thank you for the responses. I'm happy to stick with the Wicks. I thought I would ask just to see if there was something I was missing.

Old 02-14-2014, 06:10 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by WaterDragon
I'm happy to stick with the Wicks.

Smart decision, as you saved yourself hours of reading and research which, in the end, would bring you to a decision that leaves you no better off in real world terms than you already are, just as Mikey said.

Cheers
DD

The following users liked this post:
JimC64 (02-14-2014)
Old 02-15-2014, 07:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 250 Likes on 187 Posts

Just curious what brands you guys recommend that are available in the USA.

I've been using Wicks, have not had any issues.
Hello Water Dragon,
I think in this day and age most of the filters available on todays market
are perfectly fine, as long as they are equiped with the anti-drain back valve and pressure by-pass valve.

There have been some over the top threads regards the interior and filter medium used in some filters but honestly, in todays modern engines which run so much cleaner and the ability of modern oils to hold muck in suspension for longer, if you change your filter regularly, you have no problems.

I remember a discussion on one of the Harley Davidson forums where they beat the bejeeesus out of the discussion and it still came down to most modern filters all pass the tests and do their respective jobs.
Take away the marketing hype and go with what you are comfortable with ;o))

I personally use a range of filters from the OEM to Ford, Ryco, Fram and others.
Whatever I can get a good price on a six pack at the time ;o))
Amazon is your friend.

Last edited by xjay8; 02-15-2014 at 07:18 AM.
Old 02-15-2014, 07:41 AM
Received 58 Likes on 51 Posts

Jaguar OEM or Mann. They look similar in construction to me.

Old 02-15-2014, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by xjay8

I remember a discussion on one of the Harley Davidson forums where they beat the bejeeesus out of the discussion and it still came down to most modern filters all pass the tests and do their respective jobs.
Take away the marketing hype and go with what you are comfortable with ;o))
Agreed. Filter beatings have happened on just about every discussion board in existence. They run neck and neck with oil, spark plug, ethanol and nitrogen fight to the deaths.

Old 02-15-2014, 12:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,166 Likes on 1,610 Posts

While there might not be a "best" filter, there are some that are really, really bad.

The BOSCH 72209 listed by Bosch for X308 is an example of bad. Not really bad. Just that it is made shorter than spec to fit both the earlier and later mounting systems. Not so easy to figure out in advance when buying online.

The Fram and Purolator, well they've been cut open and examined. Even the premium models are not so premium.

So, it becomes a question of which filters (plural) are good and of course which very few are excellent. Using the word "best" in the question is where it becomes a heated argument. This ain't twatter or spacebook.

Old 02-15-2014, 03:28 PM
Veteran Member

Good point, the worst are worth avoiding.

The Fram used to be pretty good, but have gone downhill.

For now, I'm sticking with the wicks.

Old 02-16-2014, 05:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 250 Likes on 187 Posts

Good point, the worst are worth avoiding.

The Fram used to be pretty good, but have gone downhill.

For now, I'm sticking with the wicks.
I've ben using Fram No. PH5618 with no problems.
Another very well made filter is by HI-FI....these are made in China
and are the equal if not better than the OEM filters.
Hi-Fi No.HV-5317
I totally agree about the Bosch filters....utter crap and
I'm quite surprised at this with such a well known name.

Old 02-16-2014, 10:01 AM
Veteran Member

I thought I had the discipline to leave well enough alone but obviously I'm a poor judge of my own character .

Originally Posted by xjay8
I've ben using Fram No. PH5618 with no problems.

Define 'problems'.

Do you mean the filter didn't leak, fall apart, or burst open?

Another very well made filter is by HI-FI....these are made in China

"well made" referring to quality of construction, I presume? Do we know anything about how well they filter engine oil?

I totally agree about the Bosch filters....utter crap

If the criteria for good vs. bad is having "....no problems..." then I would have to say the Bosch filters are perfectly satisfactory, as I've used them many times with "no problems".

and
I'm quite surprised at this with such a well known name.

Beyond the general quality degradation we've seen over the decades we also face (and this brings me to my favorite rant) global manufacturing and distribution schemes which make it hard to tell what you're buying these days. Everything, seemingly, is label-engineered. For all I know the Bosch filter we get in the USA are different than the ones sold in Europe which are different than the ones sold in Australia.

Cheers
DD

Old 02-16-2014, 10:10 AM

Go for it Doug!

Old 02-16-2014, 10:38 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by plums
While there might not be a "best" filter, there are some that are really, really bad.

Which ones? And what's the definition of "really, really bad"?

The BOSCH 72209 listed by Bosch for X308 is an example of bad. Not really bad. Just that it is made shorter than spec to fit both the earlier and later mounting systems.

"Bad", presumably, because the shorter length means less filtering capacity? if so, is the reduction so significant that the filter must be rated as "bad"?

Or, can we apply the "no problems reported" standard? For at least one of us, 'no problems' makes even the Fram OK....even though Fram is supposed to be one of the "bad" choices

And, what "bad" thing happens if you use them? Does the engine blow up or what?

Years ago...maybe back in the 80s.... Jaguar itself rationalized the long and short filters, and offered just the short version. So, should we then characterize the OEM filters as "bad" because they're shorter than they used to be?

(I might add that I've never heard a conclusive answer as to who makes the OEM Jag filters. Word on the streets is two or three suppliers have been used over the last 20 years or so. Presumably they're all good enough to satisfy Jaguar....but what do we really know about them?)

Not so easy to figure out in advance when buying online.

Indeed, and Bosch list several part numbers for Jags. It gets confusing. Some online sellers list the specs so an observant buyer can compare.

In some cases (perhaps Bosch? I dunno) filters are offered that don't even match original build configuration---the most obvious and common deception is filters without a check valve being sold for applications where a check valve is called for.

This is similar to another conversation about Stant offering several thermostats for a single application. All were decent quality...but only one was the actual *correct* thermostat.

The Fram and Purolator, well they've been cut open and examined. Even the premium models are not so premium.

But are they "bad"? Or "really, really bad" ? Or are they simply less-than-premium?

So, it becomes a question of which filters (plural) are good and of course which very few are excellent. Using the word "best" in the question is where it becomes a heated argument. This ain't twatter or spacebook.

Without clarification of what is meant, or what standard is being applied, describing filters as "bad" or "really, really bad" isn't perhaps the wisest choice of words, either.

Cheers
DD

Old 02-16-2014, 10:40 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Mikey
Go for it Doug!

LMAO

Cheers
DD

Old 02-16-2014, 12:58 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Doug
Which ones? And what's the definition of "really, really bad"?

Without clarification of what is meant, or what standard is being applied, describing filters as "bad" or "really, really bad" isn't perhaps the wisest choice of words, either.

Cheers
DD
Well, the gist of the wording is that someone needs to think independently. Hence the reference to twatter and spacebook, home of the herd mentality.

With regard to Bosch, I checked the application against the Bosch book so it's not really the fault of the seller. Bosch just decided in their quest to cover as many applications with as few numbers as possible to take a shortcut. If someone takes one shortcut, then one has to wonder what other shortcuts have been taken. It's a pride of ownership thing.

Now, since that first purchase, I have had the opportunity to heft the Bosch item in comparison to the Mann item for the same application. Much sturdier and weighty. Similar to some of the observartions about the Baldwin in the Ferrari application. Yes, after you mentioned them, I took off down the rathole

Now, one data point about the Bosch "shortcut" and being shorter ... in one application the Bosch had 87 square inches of filtering media ... the least of all of the filters in the group ... while the top end was in the range of 250 square inches. All in the same size canister. Lovely black and red paint job ... but if you knew about the 87 square inches would you select the filter in preference to equal priced alternatives.

Now, that is one application ... but if you get food poisoning at a restaurant ... is is necessary in the name of "science" that you return and sample every item on the menu? Certain members of JF would insist that you do so.

As for "less than premium", that's just a polite way of saying "total crap not worthy of consideration". But, since so many people are swayed by marketing, I left it at "less than premium".

Something to know about Mann filters ... the ML prefixed application numbers are not made in Europe but instead are part of an acqusition. They tend to be subject to the same "engineered to be cheap" methods used by the former market leading names ... like Fram.

These names engage in badge engineering with products bearing the same numbers being manufactured in market specific facilities and designs. The US market being a market enured to disposable everything happens to accept crap happily.

Others ... not so much. The story on Lacoste golf shirts is that no Asian tourist would ever dream of buying one for a souvenir because the US market shirts are made from inferior fabric. Market specific design rears its ugly head.

Once in a while, you can benefit from badge engineering on small volume items. For example, buy the right number in either Gates or Stant (same company), NAPA and inside the box will be a thermostat stamped WAXSTAT, the exact same thermostat sold at the dealer. They didn't make it, the volume is too small. Instead, they buy it stuff it into a branded box.

Old 02-16-2014, 01:08 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Doug
This is similar to another conversation about Stant offering several thermostats for a single application. All were decent quality...but only one was the actual *correct* thermostat.
Oh yes, that one. The thread that started out as a warning on lazy thermostats.

I got blamed because numb nuts picked the cheapest number of the several alternative without looking. Saved a whole $3 or so and then started ranting about how he was somehow entitled to some sort of unspecified redress for his self inflicted pain.

Not my probem if he won't do his own due diligence. And that is the real point ... actual independent, critical thought.

The way things are going, there will be no population explosion problem so long as Darwin's Law continues to hold. The problem is that governments are doing their best to repeal the law.

Old 02-16-2014, 03:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 152 Likes on 131 Posts

admiring you guys very technical comments on your own filter choices. me just a regular owner, so no brainer for me simply going for OEM. i got 6 before less than 40 dollars and 3 more again like 26 including shipping. i have no complaint

Quick Reply: Opinions on what is the best oil filter available today?