XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

What Could Cause This "Steering Issue?"

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2011, 02:22 PM
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Default What Could Cause This "Steering Issue?"

Hello Gentlemen:

I never noticed this before I had new front shocks and new tie-rods ends installed, but I've recently noticed that when I drive over the smallest of road imperfections, the steering wheel moves slightly left or right.

I know for a fact that I need lower control arm bushings and this is yet to be done.

In addition, I'm also going to install:

4 Front upper control arm bushings

2 Subframe bushings

2 Lower + 2 Upper ball joints

2 Sway bar bushings

Can someone please tell me what this odd sensation might be caused by?

Thanks so much!

SirJag

Old 06-24-2011, 02:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,166 Likes on 1,610 Posts

If it is minor, it is "bump steer". The relationship of the parts controlling the steering geometry changes on compression or rebound. Particularly the relationship to the tie rod ends. (hard to explain without writing a screed).

Most cars do it, unless it is a race car that has been "bump steered. FWD/AWD cars are also subject to "torque steer".

It is predictable which way and how much a particular car will bump steer, but not usually known to most street drivers.

Still, an experienced driver in their usual car will instinctively nudge the steering wheel one way or the other when say, hitting a dip on a sweeping onramp at speed, to compensate for the bump steer effect. They just "know" from experience.

The following users liked this post:
SirJag (06-24-2011)
Old 06-24-2011, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by plums
If it is minor, it is "bump steer". The relationship of the parts controlling the steering geometry changes on compression or rebound. Particularly the relationship to the tie rod ends. (hard to explain without writing a screed).

Most cars do it, unless it is a race car that has been "bump steered. FWD/AWD cars are also subject to "torque steer".

It is predictable which way and how much a particular car will bump steer, but not usually known to most street drivers.

Still, an experienced driver in their usual car will instinctively nudge the steering wheel one way or the other when say, hitting a dip on a sweeping onramp at speed, to compensate for the bump steer effect. They just "know" from experience.
Thanks, Plum. What you wrote makes sense, however this seems like there's something wrong. I can't image an originally $70,000 VDP is supposed to drive this way. I never felt this in cars of considerably less quality than this one.

I wonder if the new shocks have anything to do with it... or something my mechanic did in the process of installing the shocks or tie-rod ends. OR, those lower control arm bushings, along with the new shocks and tie-rod ends, are causing that feeling to be amplified?

Can you tell I'm speculating?

SirJag

Old 06-24-2011, 02:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,166 Likes on 1,610 Posts

Well if it's that bad, maybe something is still loose from the last bit of work. Report it to your mechanic. No mechanic wants a customer car to go off the road due to loose fasteners etc.

The following users liked this post:
SirJag (06-24-2011)
Old 06-24-2011, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by plums
Well if it's that bad, maybe something is still loose from the last bit of work. Report it to your mechanic. No mechanic wants a customer car to go off the road due to loose fasteners etc.
Will do... thanks, Plum.

SirJag