XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Programming a TCM for an x308

Old 03-21-2011, 11:05 PM
Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts
Default Programming a TCM for an x308

What do I need to program my TCM ...would auto enginuity do it? Or is this out of a do it yourselfer's league?

Old 03-22-2011, 02:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,064 Likes on 867 Posts

I am sure Auto enginuity will not. I don't THINK you need to program it as long as it came from the same model and year series.

Old 04-11-2012, 10:25 AM
Received 75 Likes on 23 Posts

hmm, althought I am a newbie in Jaguar universe, I understood it differently. I am under the impression the TCM adaptation needs to be reset (and relearned) if the TCM module come from another car or any work has been done on the transmission cluch packs. This is to adapt the shift diagrams to your particular gear box tolerances.

Also it is my understanding that AE with jaguar expansion is able to do that (on most model according information on their website).

Old 04-11-2012, 11:38 AM
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by bballarin
hmm, althought I am a newbie in Jaguar universe, I understood it differently. I am under the impression the TCM adaptation needs to be reset (and relearned) if the TCM module come from another car or any work has been done on the transmission cluch packs. This is to adapt the shift diagrams to your particular gear box tolerances.

Also it is my understanding that AE with jaguar expansion is able to do that (on most model according information on their website).
i would be very interested for some confirmation on this subject. i just had the trans replaced on my 98 VDP and there is some issue with some roughness in the downshifting. updhifting is smooth and there is no slipping. there was a new converter installed when the trans went in as well as pump seals etc . i had bought another TCM off ebay and installed it hoping it would improve, and had dont the typical hard resets, but the isue still persists. my trans guy has now sugested looking at the valve body / sloenoids , but that will require another bunch of money. the supplier of the trans has no reason to believe the unit had any faults as it came out of a lower milage car that had rear end damage only. i am curious if i should attemt this reprogram instead of diggin into the trans again

Old 04-11-2012, 09:38 PM
Received 7,862 Likes on 4,752 Posts

Here is some info that I have uploaded a long time ago.

The TCM can be replaced as long as the VCATS is observed.

bob gauff

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Old 04-12-2012, 01:29 PM
Received 76 Likes on 65 Posts

Do a search, I saw some procedure that tells you how to reset adaptations without any tools.

Old 01-18-2014, 04:38 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello, my name ist mesut and im from germany. t read this and i would know if you found any information to reset your tcm. I have a problem with my TCM and would change but i need to adapt it and doesent know how it goes.

thanks for all
mesut

Old 01-18-2014, 06:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,781 Likes on 2,225 Posts

Look at the pdf file in motorcarman's post #5. I bought a used TCM for my XK8 and it works fine.

Old 01-20-2014, 02:29 AM

Thank you for your answer.

I can tell you my problem.

My Transmission was damaged. So we decided to replaced the Transmission with one from a car with accident. The transmission from the car with accident was in very good condition.

After the conversion the transmission works no fine. If i put the gear from N to D their is a big bang. Also if i drive and break, their is a little bang when the gear select from 3rd to 2 nd gear. I dont know why, because the transmisson worked very fine before the conversion.

I think i have to adapt the TCM or have to drive a driving cycle for the TCM to learn the new tansmission.

I tried to put the TCM from the accident car in mine, but because the accident car has no cruise control, so my car shows with this TCM gearbox fault.

I hope you can help me.

Thanks for your help

Mesut

Old 01-20-2014, 02:40 AM
Received 330 Likes on 185 Posts

There's no need to perform any adaptation on a TCM. If you remove a battery or a TCM fuse the TCM will re-learn very fast. I've rebuild mine transmission in march 2013, everything, except a case and output shaft was new (incl. torque converter, valve body and so on) - after a TCM reset it works fine.
If you have a bang when engaging in D or during shifting it indicates a problems with transmission or with an engine.
You should check LTFT and STFT readings, MAF readings and HO2S readings first. If there's something wrong - there'll be harsh shifts and other glitches. Actually mine LTFT/STFT were pretty bad, during a PCV malfunction. I suppose it was a primary cause of the transmission failure (broken A drum).

Old 01-20-2014, 06:55 AM
Received 75 Likes on 23 Posts

Hi Mesut

Do you have a XJ8 or XJR?

I am not sure for the XJ8 (not the same transmission) but the XJR has a mercedes transmission that does require an adaptation if any mechanical part is replaced (a fortiori if the entire transmission has been replaced or rebuilt).

I do not have it handy right now but I will extract the section on the mercedes transmission adaptation procedure from the JTIS tonight and look also for the XJ8 trans.

Cheers,

Bruno

Old 01-20-2014, 07:15 AM

XJ8 uses ZF 5hp24 transmission and it doesn't require an adaptation. Only TCM reset (i.e. fuse removal)

Old 01-20-2014, 09:40 AM
Received 318 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by pdog2000
What do I need to program my TCM ...would auto enginuity do it? Or is this out of a do it yourselfer's league?
Adapation procedure for MB 722.6 ( X308 4.0 XJR / 4.0 XKR ): http://www.w203.pl/download.php?id=1...48ed7506758c79

Simple way to reset the adaptation:

1. Turn the ignition key to the on (not start) position.

2. Press the gas pedal to the floor (depress kick down switch) and hold for 10-15seconds.

3. Turn the key to the "off" position (don't remove the key), then release the gas pedal.

4. Wait at least two minutes for ECU to reset.

Keep drivers door closed the entire time.

Last edited by XJR-99; 01-20-2014 at 09:44 AM.
Old 01-20-2014, 11:39 AM

I have a XJ8. Today i was by a friend and changed my TCM with him. My TCM works very good in his car. His TCM shows the same problem in my car. So I think you are right. There is no adaptation by the XJ8. A reset doesent helps. Should it be that the garage which replaced the transmission did anythink wrong. I thing they filled not much oil in the transmission.
Have you another Idea how I can find my problem.

When I start my car in the morning, first theri are no bang when I put the gear from N to D. but after 30 seconds their is the same problem. But the problem is not by a colt start. So their is anithink when the transmission going warm.

Thanks for your aswers.

Old 01-20-2014, 11:42 AM

I bet that it's not a transmission issue. It's an engine management issue. Check fuel trims, MAF and HO2S readings. IIRC i've made a topic here about it.
And it is not a signs of a low fluid level - if the fluid level is low, the trans will be slipping.

UPD: it is here. https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...01-xj8-103225/
Before i've fixed a leak i've had a harsh shifts and some bangs too

Last edited by MoscowLeaper; 01-20-2014 at 11:45 AM.
Old 01-22-2014, 11:23 AM

Tomorrow I will go to a Jaguar Garage. Then I will tell you what they wound out. I hope their is nothing with my transmission.

Old 01-22-2014, 06:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,333 Likes on 1,053 Posts

Can you replicate the fault, for example the car cruises at 30mph, hit the brakes and does it bang then? Another thing is a noise coming from the gearbox?

It could need fluid, but sounds like A drum failure if it keeps triggering a gearbox fault.

Old 01-27-2014, 01:39 AM

Hello, Their is no noise when I brake.

The Jaguar Garage found nothing.
Yesterday I tried somethink different. When I put the gear from N to D, their is a big bang, if I put the Gearvery quickly from R to D, their is a little bang. So i htought it could be a problem with my iddle speed.
I saw videos of other XJ8 in youtube. their iddle speed is less than my iddle speed. My iddle speed goes from 650 to 690.

Do you think it could be my iddle speed which causes the problem.

How can I correct my iddle speed.

Thank you for your help.

Old 01-27-2014, 03:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,064 Likes on 867 Posts

Your idle speed at 650- 690 IS NOT your problem.
Maybe you left something out of the story, but I cannot imagine a Jag garage (a Geman one, no less!) that would say there was "nothing" when the car makes a "big bang"!

Old 01-28-2014, 07:04 AM

Just look at mine post. There's no way to adjust idle speed, it's adjusted by an ECU. If there's a vacum leak the idle, fuel trims and lambda will be messed.
One of the sympthoms is the slow RPM decrease after some revving.
The transmission will have that bang untill you'll fix an engine management, since a TCM sends a request to ECM to reduce torque before shifting gears. If there's something wrong with an engine management the available amount of torque is unexpected for a TCM and causes hard shift.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Programming a TCM for an x308