XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Rear end clunk

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2012, 02:06 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Rear end clunk

I drove my newly acquired Sovereign XJ V8 4.0 ltr home last night, and compared with my X300 it was a dream to drive. Today I took it out for a drive and had at one point, to brake really hard. When I released the brake pedal,there was a loud clunk from the rear and the back of the car lifted and settled back in time with the clunk. Could this be brake caliper related? I repeated the hard braking again with the same result. I also wondered if it could be related to the ABS system, as the braking was to the point of lock up. It seems to come from the rear nearside of the car. Any suggestons gratefully received. Thanks in advance. Bill W

Old 02-01-2012, 04:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,166 Likes on 1,610 Posts

Originally Posted by Heliwilly
I drove my newly acquired Sovereign XJ V8 4.0 ltr home last night, and compared with my X300 it was a dream to drive.
It would be nice to hear the difference between driving the two.

However, with respect to your immediate problem, it is not one that is often reported.

A wild guess might be that the front body bushing and bolt on the nearside just in front of the rear wheel underneath the car is loose. When you apply the brake, the suspension frame separates from the body letting the body rise and when you release the brake it falls back into place.

BTW, for the sake of colonials, which one is nearside and which one is offside?

Old 02-02-2012, 04:25 AM
Default rear end clunk

Thanks for that plums, something to check when the weather warms up, but sooner rather than later. Nearside in the UK refers to the side of the car nearest the kerb, or if a colonial was sat in his left-hand drive X308 it would be the drivers side.
I think the reason for the difference in the drive between the two cars is mainly down the the lack of maintenance on the X300 before I got it, and as I wasn't keeping it for long, I only did the necessary work to get it through its annual test. It was really needing both front and rear suspension sorting out, mainy bushes, but I suspect rear shocks as well.
The X308 was so quiet, no engine noise, and no bumps and clunks from the suspension. The engine seems to be over revving,but as it is a V8 you get more bangs per revolution, makes it seem to be revving more, taco says only 2000rpm. Just need to get used to the new sound.

Old 02-02-2012, 04:08 PM
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

I still have to rebuild my differential , it has play on te ingoing axle.

I'm experiecing the same clunk.

Could be the same issue on your car ?

Old 02-02-2012, 05:17 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

check the rear pivot bearings or rear U joints.

Old 02-19-2012, 09:30 AM
Smile Rear end clunk

After a long time looking and levering all the possible places under the car I couldn't find anything loose or missing. This morning I was out with my wife. We were chatting, and she was looking in my direction when I had to brake hard. Sure enough there was a clunk. My wife then said " Do you realise your seat tipped forward when you braked". On arrival at home I moved the seat fully forward and got behind the drivers seat and pushed on the headrest. Sure enough it tipped forward. Closer investigation found that of the 4 "Triangular" brackets that join the seat frame to the base, the rear 2 had fractured, allowing the seat to tip forward under heavy braking. It also solved another problem, as the seat wouldn't raise at the rear. These brackets are part of the raise lower system both front and rear. Front works OK. I have ordered aother frame, and just have to figure out how to transfer the leather covering and foam padding from one seat to the other. Bill W.