XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Removing steering wheel

Old 03-14-2012, 12:27 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing steering wheel

I would like to know the easiest way to remove the steering wheel from a 98 GDP without damaging it

Thx

Old 03-14-2012, 01:47 AM
Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

The most important thing is to remove the AirBag module. Here is what the JTIS says about it:

Driver Air Bag Module

FOLLOWING DISCONNECTION OF THE BATTERY, A PERIOD OF AT LEAST ONE MINUTE MUST BE ALLOWED TO ELAPSE BEFORE ANY WORK IS CARRIED OUT ON AN AIR BAG MODULE.
FOLLOWING TEN YEARS IN SERVICE, AN AIR BAG MODULE MUST BE REMOVED AND DISPOSED OF IN THE APPROVED MANNER, AND A NEW AIR BAG MUST BE FITTED.
AIR BAGS CONTAIN A CHEMICAL IRRITANT. IF AN AIR BAG IS RENEWED, THE ORIGINAL UNIT MUST BE DISPOSED OF IN ACCORDANCE WITH CURRENT SAFETY PROCEDURES.
IN THE EVENT OF A FAULT RUPTURING THE 10A BATTERY SUPPLY FUSE (F4 LOCATED IN THE FUSE-BOX AT THE DRIVER'S END OF THE FASCIA), THE FUSE MUST NOT BE RENEWED UNTIL THE AIRBAG/SRS SYSTEM HAS BEEN DE-ACTIVATED. FUSES OF ANY OTHER VALUE MUST NEVER BE USED, AS THIS CAN CAUSE DISARM FAILURE.

1. Remove battery cover and disconnect ground cable from battery terminal.
2. Remove air bag module securing bolts. (see the attached file #1)
2.1. Turn steering wheel 90 degrees to the left to provide access to module LH securing bolt. Turn steering wheel 180 degrees to the right to provide access to module RH securing bolt.
2.2. Fully slacken captive securing bolt.

3. Remove air bag module from steering wheel. (see the attached file #2)
3.1. Carefully withdraw airbag module from steering wheel and position for access.
3.2. Release air bag harness multiplug from retaining clip and disconnect multiplug.

INSTALLATION:
1. Position air bag module and connect harness multiplug.
2. Fit multiplug onto retaining clip.
3. Carefully install airbag module in steering wheel.
4.1. Turn steering wheel 90 degrees to right and partially tighten module RH securing bolt.
4.2. Turn steering wheel 90 degrees to left and partially tighten module LH securing bolt.
5. Repeat steps 3 and 4 to fully tighten securing bolts and return steering wheel to central position.

Attached Thumbnails Removing steering wheel-image1.jpg   Removing steering wheel-image2.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
mikebaker3 (08-10-2014)
Old 03-14-2012, 10:40 AM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Did this recently when replacing the clockspring. It's an easy job to remove the wheel and you won't damage it.
Follow the instructions in the previous answer. After disconnecting the battery, leave it for 15-30 mins to totally discharge the capacitors before removing the airbag.
You'll need an Allen key to remove the airbag, I think 4mm.
My steering wheel was held on with a 15mm bolt, and you might need someone to hold the wheel whilst you turn it. You don't need a wheel puller, it should come off the spline easily.
Here is a link to some photos of the job:

KODAK Gallery | Photo Merchandise

Only the first few are relevant.
Remember to align the steering wheel with the wheels when you put it back.
Good luck
Ian

Last edited by Don B; 10-14-2014 at 08:27 AM.
mikebaker3 (08-10-2014)
Old 10-10-2014, 06:10 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, I have just sheered the RH securing bolt and cannot now remove it. Any help please on removal!

Old 10-14-2014, 08:40 AM
Received 12,721 Likes on 6,373 Posts

Originally Posted by ehup
Hi, I have just sheered the RH securing bolt and cannot now remove it. Any help please on removal!

Hi ehup,

Welcome to the Jaguar Forums!

I'm sorry to hear about your difficulty with the steering wheel securing bolt or screw. I don't know if the photos at the link below will be of any help but they may be worth studying. They're by fellow forum member xjay8:

XJ8 HALF WOOD WHEEL CHANGE Photo Gallery by Max Heazlewood at pbase.com

While you're awaiting suggestions from other members, please visit New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum and post an introduction so we may know something about you and your car.

Also, it will help you receive more specific replies if you will add your Jag's model, year and engine displacement to your signature so others will know if your car is similar to their own before they offer suggestions. Hover your cursor over your username in the upper right corner of this page and in the dropdown menu click User CP, the first item in the menu. At your User Control Panel, click on Edit Signature in the left column under Options & Settings. Add your car details and save.

Cheers,

Don

smtguy (05-24-2015)
Old 05-18-2015, 04:48 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Removing SRS

I have a 1998 XJ8 and it is so much of a pleasure to own. Yet the problems to troubleshoot the problems I encounter aren't so much fun. I have finally received the info to ck it out yet the procedure to remove the Drivers SRS doesn't jive. It says to remove the two screw that hold the air bag. Well, I don't have two screws. This system............................................ .................

Old 05-18-2015, 09:27 PM
Received 7,862 Likes on 4,752 Posts

Originally Posted by 1951sms
I have a 1998 XJ8. I have finally received the info to ck it out yet the procedure to remove the Drivers SRS doesn't jive. It says to remove the two screw that hold the air bag. Well, I don't have two screws. This system............................................ .................
Then the airbag should fall out of the wheel if the fasteners are missing!!!!!!!!!

bob gauff

Old 05-19-2015, 06:14 AM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by motorcarman
Then the airbag should fall out of the wheel if the fasteners are missing!!!!!!!!!

bob gauff
I got ya, but I see no screws. I see none going from the rear going from from front to rear? . I want to remove the CC switch.

Old 05-19-2015, 06:15 PM
Received 7,862 Likes on 4,752 Posts

Did you actually read post #2???

You must turn the steering wheel 90 degrees to access the screws!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bob gauff