XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Thoughts on a no start 03 XJR

Old 07-31-2014, 03:14 PM
Received 118 Likes on 100 Posts
Default Thoughts on a no start 03 XJR

Car won't start now for the 2nd time this week. Cranks just fine, will "catch" and act like it wants to start but won't quite make it. When I first got in it, it idled poorly for about 30 seconds then died (maybe around 500rpm). Car was warmed up both times having been driven within the last hour this time 10 minutes the last. No check engine light, nothing like that. The 1st time it happened it started right back up 2 hours later with no issue and I put 150-200 miles and maybe 15 starts on it thinking it was a once and done thing. What should I look at first once I get it home. The lack of a check engine light leaves me stumped.

Old 07-31-2014, 03:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 166 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by TreVoRTasmin
Car won't start now for the 2nd time this week. Cranks just fine, will "catch" and act like it wants to start but won't quite make it. When I first got in it, it idled poorly for about 30 seconds then died (maybe around 500rpm). Car was warmed up both times having been driven within the last hour this time 10 minutes the last. No check engine light, nothing like that. The 1st time it happened it started right back up 2 hours later with no issue and I put 150-200 miles and maybe 15 starts on it thinking it was a once and done thing. What should I look at first once I get it home. The lack of a check engine light leaves me stumped.
It could be fuel system related. Either a clogged fuel filter or fuel pump going out.

The following users liked this post:
TreVoRTasmin (08-01-2014)
Old 07-31-2014, 04:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,333 Likes on 1,053 Posts

Maybe the lack of a warning light is good news.

The R has 2 fuel pumps, it sounds like the starter pump has quit. There's some information on here about removing a relay to use the other pump to start the car if I remember correctly, one of the better informed guys will I'm sure chime in.

Find the shrader valve on the fuel rail and see if there's fuel pressure with the engine turning I guess it's a 2 person job unless you're one of the fantastic four, lol.

Old 07-31-2014, 06:15 PM

Fuel filter was replaced last summer so I wouldn't suspect that. Would a fuel pump go out then come back though? If that's the issue it would have happened the first time on Tuesday night, I just got back from checking it out again, absolutely nothing except cranking. Not trying to catch or anything like that It is at a busy parking lot so I can't really do too much diagnosis there. Was hoping it would start so I could bring it home and put scanner on it and see what shows up on the inginuity.

Anybody know off hand where the valve is for the fuel system.

Last edited by TreVoRTasmin; 07-31-2014 at 06:35 PM.
Old 07-31-2014, 09:46 PM

Checked back twice and no start and now no "attempt". I'm leaning toward having 2 bad fuel pumps. I know the car had them replaced before I got it but that was 60k or so ago now. I still don't know where the schreider valve on the fuel rail is. Would love to try that and narrow down if I should tow it home or tow it to my shop. If it is the pumps, any idea on labor hours book rate?

Old 08-01-2014, 06:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,333 Likes on 1,053 Posts

P.M. Plums a mod on here, he's been through the whole process if I remember correctly including part numbers for replacement pumps and the little things to advise and watch out for.
It's not the easiest job, but with the right tools like the fuel tank disconnectors it's not too bad. Drain the tank first. It's a day's work for someone who hasn't done it before, half a day for experienced techs.
The valve is tucked under and near the intercooler, look for where the injectors/fuel rail and it pokes out so you can connect a fuel pressure gauge.

Last edited by Sean B; 08-01-2014 at 06:47 AM.
Old 08-01-2014, 08:07 AM

Well went back to check on her. Still a no start.

Found the valve and pressed it with a screwdriver. Nothing at all, checked fuses 15 and 20, both fine, pulled the primary pump relay, turned ignition on and got restricted performance but still nothing. That's about all I can do in the parking lot of a busy gym so I've called for a tow. Will be going to my mechanic as I'm less than a month out from shoulder surgery and 2 months out from hip surgery. Thought about towing it home and checking for electrics but if it is too involved then I don't think that aaa would pick it up and take it to my mechanics for 7 days or something like that.

Old 08-01-2014, 08:14 AM
Received 1,420 Likes on 1,063 Posts

Originally Posted by TreVoRTasmin
Well went back to check on her. Still a no start.

Found the valve and pressed it with a screwdriver. Nothing at all, checked fuses 15 and 20, both fine, pulled the primary pump relay, turned ignition on and got restricted performance but still nothing. That's about all I can do in the parking lot of a busy gym so I've called for a tow. Will be going to my mechanic as I'm less than a month out from shoulder surgery and 2 months out from hip surgery. Thought about towing it home and checking for electrics but if it is too involved then I don't think that aaa would pick it up and take it to my mechanics for 7 days or something like that.
+1 on pumps, however did you check the inertia switch to make sure it didn't "trip".

Old 08-01-2014, 09:01 AM

Car is on its way to UK Motors in Felton, PA. Tow truck driver of course had to try his hand at it and low and behold it somehow managed to get enough fuel to kinda want to start and run poorly again but that was it. I think just the heat of the day increased pressure enough to make it do it. At least I have the good old reliable TVR to drive while the R goes to the vets and the 8 gets her body panels readjusted at the beauty parlor. Here's hoping for some nice seasonally cool dry weather.

Old 08-01-2014, 09:21 AM
Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

+1 on the fuel pump. Check pressure to be sure, or introduce fuel(carb spray) through the intake to see if she fires.
The pump may be just fine as mine was. The connectors are undersized so heat up and burn out.

Attached Thumbnails Thoughts on a no start 03 XJR-jag-fuel-pump-connector.jpg  
Old 08-01-2014, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by ross1
+1 on the fuel pump. Check pressure to be sure, or introduce fuel(carb spray) through the intake to see if she fires.
The pump may be just fine as mine was. The connectors are undersized so heat up and burn out.
Yeah I'd say that yours burned up. I have a TVR and even with a fiberglass body and ground issues it doesn't have connectors like that after 28 years.

Old 08-06-2014, 07:47 PM

Wiring seemed fine but my local indie shop (UK Motors) replaced both pumps and filters. Will pick her back up tomorrow.