XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

What did you do to your X308 Today?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2014, 09:28 AM
Received 129 Likes on 61 Posts

Very nice floormats, I have used Avery mats in the past on other cars and have always been pleased.

Today I put on the OE Jag union jack center caps on my Hornets.

Attached Thumbnails What did you do to your X308 Today?-img_20140723_170251.jpg   What did you do to your X308 Today?-img_20140723_170302.jpg  
Old 07-26-2014, 10:33 AM
Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

Added badge, inspiration from the other thread

Name:  20140726_114506_zps1e043e39.jpg
Views: 201
Size:  119.7 KB

Old 07-27-2014, 02:47 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Changed out the fuel sender unit and spark plugs. Yes in 90 Degree Heat in Largo FL.

Old 07-28-2014, 12:27 AM
Received 212 Likes on 132 Posts

What I did today ?
Pulled drivers seat out, again, looking for intermittent airbag light I think I fixed it, and gave her a bath.

Old 07-28-2014, 01:47 AM
Received 221 Likes on 172 Posts

Flicked a few emails around trying to work out why my rebuilt and bored out throttle body has MORE issues than the old one it's meant to replace...

Tomorrow it's being put back to standard, and I'll either take it to another place (depending on how confident they sound over the phone about fitting it, as they've had experience with these before), or it'll get sent back to ASI for a second rebuild, which I can't see how it will need... but nobody seems to be able to tell me much more about them than 'maybe it needs adjusting'.

I remembered I have the JTIS cd... had a good look through it, and I can see instructions for removing everything BEFORE and AFTER the throttle body, but not the throttle body itself! Was hoping to find out if there would be any calibration/setup type steps, but can't find anything.

Old 07-28-2014, 02:49 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Where did you get the alum. surround for the j-gate that matched top. I visited the sight for the top but I didn't see the surround. Great look!!

Old 07-29-2014, 12:59 PM

eBay UK

Old 07-30-2014, 10:03 AM
Received 121 Likes on 89 Posts

:-)

Attached Thumbnails What did you do to your X308 Today?-100k.jpg  
Old 07-30-2014, 03:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,337 Likes on 1,056 Posts

put new pads in, fitted new cam cover oil seals and did an oil and filter change. And a little bit of detailing ready for some trips coming up. Looking forward to some driving

Old 07-30-2014, 07:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,019 Likes on 740 Posts

Originally Posted by King Charles
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...y-grrr-118794/

Finally got the reservoir,pump & nozzle put in and rid of that god awful WASHER FLUID LOW light lol.

Got 4 floor mats from automatstore.com I went with the 8945 Dark Beige From Avery Luxury Touring Carpet 42 oz. Berber customs. Automatstore.com was super swift sending me out a few samples to choose from & delivered the product in maybe 10 days after I ordered. Here's some pics that doesn't really do them justice, due the carpet not being detailed since March & the front mat having a wave from a fold during shipping(flattened out with in an hour for a perfect fit). Anchor slots match perfect & they are super snug to the floor. Really pleased.

Going to have my seats' dye touched up & conditioned very soon so the carpet's due for a shampooing as well.
Well the same night, in fact the 1st drive since installing the mats I went to the post office after midnight to mail some packages using the self serve kiosk. Went to park & the mat came loose of it's anchor, pinning the gas pedal down rendering me curb jumping in 1.3 seconds @ full throttle & the car going through the double glass doors into the lobby lol. Drove the car home from the tow yard(surprisingly nothing mechanical's damage,the front end clip/bumper is crooked,grill busted,windshield needs replacing,right hand side mirror & a new truck lid/skin). All this after I just dropped a nice chunk of change getting everything right (shakes head). Could've been a lot worse as no one was injured including myself but I did make all of the local new casts & an impromptu drive-thru window for USPS lol. Not to mention that awful LOW WASHER FLUID light is back on lol.

Last edited by King Charles; 07-30-2014 at 07:29 PM.
Old 07-30-2014, 09:14 PM
Received 447 Likes on 333 Posts

Well the same night, in fact the 1st drive since installing the mats I went to the post office after midnight to mail some packages using the self serve kiosk. Went to park & the mat came loose of it's anchor, pinning the gas pedal down rendering me curb jumping in 1.3 seconds @ full throttle & the car going through the double glass doors into the lobby lol. Drove the car home from the tow yard(surprisingly nothing mechanical's damage,the front end clip/bumper is crooked,grill busted,windshield needs replacing,right hand side mirror & a new truck lid/skin). All this after I just dropped a nice chunk of change getting everything right (shakes head). Could've been a lot worse as no one was injured including myself but I did make all of the local new casts & an impromptu drive-thru window for USPS lol. Not to mention that awful LOW WASHER FLUID light is back on lol.
I would send the mat company a web address with the story, was there something defective about the mat's anchor?
Vector

Old 07-31-2014, 05:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default More than just today

Ok so June and July were spent doing the following:
Replaced drivers highbeam headlight, front blinkers and markers, windshield washer reservoir and pump, front wiring harness, spark plugs and one ignition coil, Evap canister purge valve and Evap line connecting the two charcoal canisters, front bumper cover and side mounts for the front bumper cover, instrument lightbulbs, air-conditioning control, J shifter and ski slope woodgrain, cupholder, drivers door latch and lock mechanism, all door speakers and rear 6 x 9, replaced headliner, fixed the front tilt on both the drivers and passenger seat, replaced numerous relays, steering column speaker, replaced front window defogger vents, fixed rear seatbelts, fixed fuel quantity not indicating, replaced interior trunk panels, repaired minor exhaust leak, and a bunch of little trim things here and there. How's that for a run on sentence? ;-)
We also took it on our first road trip… It wasn't quite ready for the street with everything that needed to be done to it.
This weekend I'm going to do the front struts and upper mounts and probably tinker on a few other little things.

Last edited by JagPilot; 07-31-2014 at 05:37 PM.
Old 08-01-2014, 09:26 AM

Old 08-01-2014, 11:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,019 Likes on 740 Posts

After further inspection it stands as grill, lower grill(guess I'll just go with the mesh lower grill now)?!,head light housing both sides,windshield,leaper,passenger side mirror glass,antennae & trunk lid are the things that will have to be replaced. The hood lip is rippled which I think can be straightened as well as the dents in the passenger side fender & scuffs on roof & right side. Haven't had a chance to pop the hood, but no warning lights or fluids leaking on the drive back, fan kicks on & sounds unaltered. Do not want to risk shutting the hood causing the windshield to shatter as we are dealing with torrential rains here.

Edit : Popped the hood everything looks & sounds normal minus a little movement of my washer reservoir bottle & shattered glass(from the building) that was tucked down in the hood gulley that houses the wiper etc. was/is difficult to get all out. Now I know why Jaguar put covers on everything in the engine bay lol this could've been an even bigger mess.

Going to get a few estimates next week I have a skilled associate who can likely put any parts I need on I'd just have to get someone to buff & paint. So part hunting I go !

Will get pics when the weather breaks.

So far I'm batting a high % on E-Bay a lot coming off of white XJ8's as well.

Last edited by King Charles; 08-01-2014 at 04:39 PM.
Old 08-02-2014, 05:57 AM
Received 221 Likes on 172 Posts

A friend and I decided to have a crack at the replacement throttle body today...

We had a multimeter, and following the guidelines in this thread, we checked the new TB to see what values we got.
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...acement-77560/
What we found was that the new TPS was adjusted as far as possible counterclockwise. This was giving us readings lower than expected, so we decided to check the values on the original TB which had been reinstalled back onto the car.

We checked that, and the values were very similar to what we were expecting. Based on this, we adjusted the new TPS back closer to the centre of it's range, and matched the values as well as we could.

Following a guide... which now I can't find... we set about removing the original throttle body. First thing we did was kill the battery, which is something I don't believe the garage did when they were working on the car, even though it's as simple as flicking a switch, because I have installed a kill-switch in the boot.
It's quite straight forward, just watch for spilling coolant everywhere when you remove the two coolant hoses.
We put the new, adjusted, throttle body in, connected the hoses and plugs, switched the battery back on... and it fired up PERFECT!

We let it idle for a while, just to make sure it was fine, then took it for a quick road test. Everything seems peachy

So... on Monday I'll be making a rather angry phone call to the local Jaguar dealer and ask them why, after spending $700 with them, they were unable to loosen two screws and adjust the TPS, especially seeing as it would seem like a very normal thing to have to do with a replacement throttle body.

The following users liked this post:
Badbenz94 (08-02-2014)
Old 08-02-2014, 09:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 266 Likes on 210 Posts

Just in case you haven't yet seen this (not mine, this just seemed like a suitably casual thread ) Sbarro X308:

Old 08-02-2014, 09:41 PM
Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Kill it... With fire...

Old 08-03-2014, 05:11 AM
Veteran Member
Received 250 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by xjrmageddon
Kill it... With fire...
What an effing abortion!
It should be put out of it's misery......

Old 08-03-2014, 12:58 PM
Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Forcedair1
From a previous post, where the two rear emblems were replaced with new ones, I decided to give a try at fixing my existing ones by polishing, instead. I used polishing compound gradually, from rough to fine and it came out 100% better than what it was, me thinks... In looking at the pics I see what I did not see with my glasses; it does need to be more shiny, so I''ll work it a little more. But it can be done without spending a penny.
Would really love to know more about this process. Specifically, what products you used, and your general process for polishing the emblems (without scraping up the chrome surrounds).

I've got similarly chewed up emblems and I can't find a good new set on Ebay to replace them (need both rear emblems, trunk button, and the two jaguar side-markers - downsides of living in the desert).

I'm really liking your results, and I'd love to give it a shot myself.

The following users liked this post:
deancantrell (08-03-2014)
Old 08-03-2014, 06:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,351 Likes on 926 Posts
Default Noise-hunting

Spent a whole day hunting noises and squeaks.

Took off all door panels, and re-hung them with some insulation in between.
Also secured all electric wires inside as they should be (obviously, all panels had been removed before, and were never fitted correctly).

Also checked on each and every panel where 'plastic hits plastic', and re-fitted them with insulation where needed and where possible.

Results: fantastic!
I noted that the clock makes noise, how about that ?

E.

Last edited by ericjansen; 08-04-2014 at 03:37 AM. Reason: typo

Quick Reply: What did you do to your X308 Today?