XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

What did you do to your X308 Today?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2015, 12:34 PM
Received 163 Likes on 112 Posts
Default Photos promised

Originally Posted by bdboyle

*** deletia ***

Life is good today. Take your time, work methodically, and it will all come together. Will try and get photos taken when I can; otherwise...

*** deletia ***

So...here are some shots I just took when I went out to get some Dunkin caffeine:

Center console wide shot...

Center console, close up shot:

The Kuda 'sidecar' mount:

And, the overhead replacement console, with the burl walnut trim and OEM phone mic:

Everything came out pretty nice, and it all works. At least for now, right?

Old 01-27-2015, 01:24 PM
Received 49 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by ericjansen
Let me try to explain as I failed to make pictures:

The newly purchased cover came with several of the white plastic grommets, which are normally located on the base plate, and are holding the pins down.

I separated the "stainless" surround from the leather cover, and used this as a base to create new pins.
This surround has already holes which allow the original pins going through.

I then used these little grommets to glue in the holes of the surround (if I remember well, with the flange up).
After hardening, you can cut the excessive plastic, then glue the old broken pins (or anything which can act as a pin) into these grommets.

Finally, I clipped and glued the stainless surround back in the leather surround (after all dye-work done).
Check if it a clear fit before you glue it, I remember I had to cut some plastic away where the old pins were broken off.

After that, you will have a surround which has very sturdy pins, and can be installed in exact the same way as the original, by pushing it into the original grommets on the base plate.
You can remove it any time by just pushing the surround up.

I hope this is a bit clear, not easy to describe in text, but probably rather easy if you see the parts.
Will make some pic if needed.

E.

Maybe some pics ericjansen...I think I get it, but pics would be great...no rush of course. Thanks.

Old 01-28-2015, 09:00 PM
Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts
Default New Shoes

Took the afternoon off and headed to Clarksville IN, by way of Brownstown, home of the sprint car dirt track that I have GOT to get to this summer, and Seymour, home of John Mellencamp, who drives a beautiful '58 Impala Convertable, and several motorcycles, but no Jaguars that I know of, and got new tires, as well as a new set for my wife's Subaru (tires & wheels fit the back seat of my 01 LWB just fine). 4 hours on the road in my XJ8 and i feel like I just got a massage. 55 minutes to the airport in her Subaru felt like I'd been on the rack for some enhanced interrogation.

If only the big sedan had AWD.

Old 01-28-2015, 09:23 PM
Received 447 Likes on 333 Posts

Originally Posted by PeteK812
(tires & wheels fit the back seat of my 01 LWB just fine).
You hauled tires and wheels in the back seat of your Jag? Oh my!

I won't even let my dogs ride in the back seat of my XJR. And no eating in the Jag either.

That is why I have an F-150, lol!

Vector

Last edited by Vector; 01-29-2015 at 01:52 AM.
The following users liked this post:
xjay8 (03-08-2015)
Old 01-31-2015, 12:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,351 Likes on 926 Posts

Originally Posted by bigcat777
Maybe some pics ericjansen...I think I get it, but pics would be great...no rush of course. Thanks.
This might do it.
Before you glue things together, be sure you remove sufficient material out of the shift cover (any left-over of the broken pin which can interfere with the flange of the grommet):
Name:  X308%20-%20GEARSHIFT_zpsczzppbyy.jpg
Views: 280
Size:  76.7 KB

bigcat777 (02-01-2015)
Old 01-31-2015, 04:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 250 Likes on 187 Posts

In between storms...got my ride back after what started out as an oil change which turned into fuel rails and injector seals...and had backed up a bunch of reclaimed parts, so, figured I'd get to it in the garage, which was nice and warm.........>>>>>>>

.......>>>>>>>SO, that's what got done on my Kitty today.
So....you've been a busy lad then ;o))

bdboyle (02-02-2015)
Old 02-01-2015, 08:35 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Remove the mobile phone system

Today I removed the mobile phone system all ready for the parts to make a Bluetooth system with remote change over from Bluetooth to CD changer

Old 02-01-2015, 02:48 PM
Received 161 Likes on 90 Posts

Installed my newly rebuilt (Sybesma's Electronics) rear view mirror.
Disassembled, cleaned and lubed my electric radio antenna housing, installed new antenna mast.
All that stuff is now working bitchin' deluxe.

Took off driver's door card to remove, disassemble, clean and reassemble driver's door switch pack ... (what a joy!)
That got my driver's door window operating for the first time since I've owned the car. Yeeha!
It also got my memory switches working after a fashion. The memory button light has been stuck on since I bought the car, so I've had no memory functions. Still not sure if all that is 100% yet, but at least I was able to erase whatever preexisting memory it had stored.

Was hoping that would also solve my non-locking driver's door, but no luck there. I'll try again later on that.

While door card was off I removed the broken door check arm. It's pretty much trashed, with one bent tab and one broken completely. I'll just leave it off for now while I meditate on the proper course of action.

Hey ... a little progress is still progress. I'll take my little victories when and where I find 'em!
Regards, Retro

Old 02-02-2015, 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by xjay8
So....you've been a busy lad then ;o))
Idle hands and all that, you know.

Nice when it all goes back together though. Adds to the enjoyment of the ride.

Old 02-23-2015, 09:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 264 Likes on 145 Posts

I had my secondary timing chain tensioners replaced. Glad that's behind me - I've been putting it off for awhile. I have an 02 XJR with 64k miles.

The old, second generation tensioners looked pretty good actually. Didn't see any cracks. But one of the tensioner's spring was frozen so I don't know what problems, if any, that could have caused. The guides also looked good, I didn't replace those. Also replaced the spark plugs.

Old 02-24-2015, 01:14 PM
Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

Hi
Today i fix the EGR pipe It was cracked in to places. Someone welding the pipe very well.
Now i have instant power when the engine is cold and a strange noise disappear
Tomorrow i will change the rear brake pads, I will use Brembo pads. In the front I have ATE.

Old 02-28-2015, 09:39 AM
Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts

Gave the old girl a once-over with my California Duster. We're having a drought in Northern California and don't get much rain. The Duster lets me get away with a month between washes.

Old 02-28-2015, 09:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts

I kicked him and called im a rusty piece of British crap...

Old 02-28-2015, 08:18 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Today, I celebrated having enjoyed trouble free motoring for a month. The car got a wash and polish and I had a few beers.
Since buying the car six months ago, I've worked on the front suspension, replaced the steering column, changed out some hydraulic pipe work, changed head gaskets, replaced engine, gear box and V mounts, changed the drive shaft, rear wheel bearings and universal joints, installed better speakers, new battery, new windscreen....
The body is rust free and it's a lovely car when running. Here's hoping for more trouble free motoring.

Old 03-01-2015, 08:46 PM
Received 258 Likes on 210 Posts

Drove it 500 miles

Old 03-04-2015, 12:29 AM
Received 258 Likes on 210 Posts

And tonight, amidst yet more snow, parked it in the driveway:

Attached Thumbnails What did you do to your X308 Today?-0304150023-1.jpg  
Old 03-07-2015, 09:11 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts

I removed the intake manifold today to find out why my XJ8 is losing water... A hose has split. So time to replace. Luckily they aren't expensive from Jaguar

Old 03-08-2015, 08:10 PM
Received 50 Likes on 33 Posts

Replaced a tail light bulb and a license plate bulb that had burned out. Noticed a couple of sidemarker lights that were out, too, so they're next. Work, work, work....

Old 03-08-2015, 08:21 PM
Default Nice Day...Clean Kitty

Even though we still have snow on the ground, the roads are mostly blacktop...so, treated the big guy to a thorough wash at the local diy wash rack, paying close attention to the undercarriage and wheel arches, cleaned the windows of accumulated grime and salt, heavy duty vacuuming and spot shampooing of the carpets, wiped down the interior with Leatherique rejuvenator oil and buffed up the seats and console, brought out the chrome cleaner and shined up the leaper, front grille surround, chrome accents on the bumpers, and filled up the tank with Sunoco 93. Checked tire pressures, oil level (hasn't moved off full since it was changed 1500 miles ago), coolant, brake (all good). Filled windshield washer with Rain-X fluid.

Went for drive. Savored the sweet sound of an X308 wafting down the road, tunes from the cassette playing, and 54 degrees in southern Bucks County PA.

A good Jag day.

Oh, and vacuumed out the better half's Pontiac G6.

Old 03-09-2015, 10:31 AM
Received 50 Likes on 33 Posts

Went for drive. Savored the sweet sound of an X308 wafting down the road, tunes from the cassette playing, and 54 degrees in southern Bucks County PA.
The roads in Michigan are so awful right now that I don't want to drive my Jag on them. How awful is that?!!

Quick Reply: What did you do to your X308 Today?