Go Back   Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum > Jaguar Models ( Modern ) > XJ ( X308 ) XJ8 / XJR
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

XJ ( X308 ) XJ8 / XJR 1997 - 2003

Welcome to Jaguar Forums!
Welcome to JaguarForums.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Jaguar Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-05-2010, 05:49 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to tcage
Default Where can I find a radiator plug for my 98 XJ8?

I've been all over the net for a radiator drain plug but it looks like no one sells it. Does anyone know where to find it and possibly how much it goes for? Got a slight leak in my radiator, I hope all I need to do is replace the drain plug. Oh, almost forgot, what about the coolant; what kind should I use after flushing? Any advice would be appreciated.
Old 07-05-2010, 05:55 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Virgo1979

I'm guessing your having a over heating issue....How do u know your radiator is leaking...Also, you can't just drain your radiator it has to be sucked out and coolant you need that I was told is either a red or orange type of coolant, but I have a supercharged so, I would say try looking for a new radiator or maybe used for a good deal and hope you dont get any new issues, like I've been faced with these past 2 months....

00 XJR SUPERCHARGED
Black on Black
Virginia Beach, VA
Old 07-05-2010, 06:11 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to tcage

I have never had anything close to overheating but I was told by a mechanic after an inspection that I had a leak. He said the easy fix is a new drain plug if that doesn't work then the radiator. I'd like to try the plug first.
Old 07-05-2010, 07:30 PM

A simple cooling system pressure test and inspection will tell you where the leak is... your mechanic appears to be trying the 'shotgun' method of troubleshooting.

If he didn't see the drain plug leaking, how can he assume that it may be the culprit? If he DID see the drain plug leaking, he wouldn't have suggested that it might be a radiator problem, instead. The Jag has several common places where it leaks coolant. Neither the radiator nor the plug are a typical failure point.

Only a thorough inspection or a pressure test will tell you for sure.
Old 07-05-2010, 07:46 PM
Veteran Member

Pressure test by all means!

The radiator plug is a pipe thread plastic screw in plug. If the pressure test creates a leak at that point I would try teflon tape before worrying about anything else. That is not a common leak point but who knows about someone cross threading the plastic plug.

Long discussion, probably not worth much when distilled here:

XK8 & XKR 'HOW TO' / DIY Repair & Maintenance Links / Facts & Data
1981 Volvo Bertone Coupe - 25k original miles http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=256460
Old 07-05-2010, 07:46 PM

Tags
1998, 2000, 98, coolant, cooling, drain, draining, engine, flush, jaguar, location, plug, radiator, system, xj8, xk8