XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

XJ8 Phaeton

Old 03-01-2011, 05:14 PM
Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts
Default XJ8 Phaeton

Update on the 4 door Daimler Corsica project -

Microsoft paint says that the John 'F' Prescott treatment will make an eminently more practical motor car. Official special vehicles two door didn't look too horrendous either:

Cut a long story short, we've doubled up the gearbox tunnel, removed copious quantities of sills/floor, added vastly more (150x150x5 mm wall thickness sills, and around 2 square metres of 3 mm plate...) in the way of crossmembers/sills/floor and pillar stiffening, and had the roof off:

Seems to work - all four doors open and shut even with it up on the twist. Better than the original with its rusty sills, need to benchmark chassis twist against a nicer example at some point.

B pillars to finish the structure on and the a-pillar/c-pillars to tidy up, front seat mounts back in, extra lap belts in the back for 4-abreast seating, two rear-facing dickie seats in the boot, some decorate sill extensions to tidy the rear arches and I think we're golden on the structural front. Sills and screen surround going black stonechip, rear parcel shelf trimming with a large cushion, then off with the doortops and glass once through the IVA...

Old 03-01-2011, 09:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 77 Likes on 70 Posts

Ohhhhh my gosh! That is amazing! When I saw the '63 Lincoln Continental and then the photoshopped jobs in the beginning I thought you were pulling a fast-one, but holy-moly you are really doing it! That is so incredible!

4-abreast seating in the rear will be awesome (albeit quite cramped) as would be the rear-facing dickie seats - but only so long as they are normally stowed away in the trunk and open up as part of the trunk lid (so with the trunk closed the car still looks like a Jag in the back.) Basically, make them a reverse-direction rumble seat (with a way to lock in place - otherwise you hit the gas and lose your passengers behind you )

Old 03-01-2011, 09:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 77 Likes on 70 Posts

Is the mint-green 2-door convertible with the X300 dashboard real or photoshop?

Old 03-02-2011, 03:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 342 Likes on 296 Posts

Love these projects !

The green - now two door VDP and the red R -- look to be x300 I6's. I like the bumpers on the x300.

Old 03-02-2011, 03:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,333 Likes on 1,053 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by vdpnyc
Is the mint-green 2-door convertible with the X300 dashboard real or photoshop?
Have you never heard of the Daimler Corsica project? JDHT had it rebuilt, it's up and running and now in the collection at Gaydon I think. It's the real deal.

Marko, well done for getting this far, the main work is done! If you get orders, why not use new bodyshells - I know of a source at very good money. Whereabouts in the UK are you?

See here, brand new old stock bodyshell (308)

btw, I've seen racing cars that aren't as torsionally stiff!

Last edited by Sean B; 03-02-2011 at 03:40 AM.
Old 03-02-2011, 04:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 637 Likes on 439 Posts

That's a colossal job . I would prefer as it is but everyone has a different view .
So far good job , may you speed up your progress

Old 03-02-2011, 06:36 AM
Received 110 Likes on 55 Posts

A COOL project !!!

Keep us posted !!!

Old 03-02-2011, 08:07 AM
Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Sweet job! I love the long low look the car has. Throw on a set of 18's and wow!

Having worked on vehicle launch teams and supplied structural stampings for convertibles, I can appreciate all of the reinforcing you are doing. The toughest thing to deal with is "Cowl Shake" when dealing with potholes on the road.

Keep us posted on your progress.

Old 03-02-2011, 08:14 AM
Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

I forgot to ask but will you be installing a Convertible Top? If you are going down that road you are truly a glutton for punishment. I spent a lot of time on those systems (at ASC) and they will really make you nuts with or without a CAD system to work on.

Old 03-02-2011, 01:07 PM

Cheers all!

Yes, new bodyshells would definitely be of interest if doing this again as we've spent as long wrestling with 12 years worth of rot as we have converting. (front chassis legs were gone and the front 2 feet of sills had no bottoms) New shell, convert, get it dipped and e-coated and waxed/sprayed and that's a far more valuable car to the buyer. No Q-plate either.

No convertible top, just a tonneau with kayak style 'skirts' with motorbike helmets if you do get caught out and need to move it in the rain. (cheaper to just buy another XJ8 for when its raining than put a nice top on this one, or bring two to a wedding/event etc)

I'll see if I can dig out the silver SWB X308 on 18s we did a quick photochop of - far nicer than the X300 I think.

Old 03-02-2011, 02:13 PM
Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean B
Have you never heard of the Daimler Corsica project? JDHT had it rebuilt, it's up and running and now in the collection at Gaydon I think. It's the real deal.

Marko, well done for getting this far, the main work is done! If you get orders, why not use new bodyshells - I know of a source at very good money. Whereabouts in the UK are you?

See here, brand new old stock bodyshell (308)

btw, I've seen racing cars that aren't as torsionally stiff!
Wow where did you find these? Are they sourced from Jaguar? Are there many of these still around? How much $ are they?

Old 03-02-2011, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by markocosic
Cheers all!

Yes, new bodyshells would definitely be of interest if doing this again as we've spent as long wrestling with 12 years worth of rot as we have converting. (front chassis legs were gone and the front 2 feet of sills had no bottoms) New shell, convert, get it dipped and e-coated and waxed/sprayed and that's a far more valuable car to the buyer. No Q-plate either.

No convertible top, just a tonneau with kayak style 'skirts' with motorbike helmets if you do get caught out and need to move it in the rain. (cheaper to just buy another XJ8 for when its raining than put a nice top on this one, or bring two to a wedding/event etc)

I'll see if I can dig out the silver SWB X308 on 18s we did a quick photochop of - far nicer than the X300 I think.

Wow this project looks interesting. Did you try the twist test before the structural improvements?

Old 03-02-2011, 04:37 PM
Veteran Member

burmaz, they're from the Jaguar, my father is ex Jaguar, he knows the people to ask.

Old 03-02-2011, 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by Sean B
burmaz, they're from the Jaguar, my father is ex Jaguar, he knows the people to ask.
Wow, I'm impressed that Jaguar has these and will let anyone at all have a shell.

Was it expensive?

Just out of curiosity, does Jaguar still have many new X308 parts on hand? Ie. engine/transmission, interior seats/wood trim and etc.

Old 03-03-2011, 05:45 AM
Veteran Member
Cool

Originally Posted by burmaz
Wow, I'm impressed that Jaguar has these and will let anyone at all have a shell.

Was it expensive?

Just out of curiosity, does Jaguar still have many new X308 parts on hand? Ie. engine/transmission, interior seats/wood trim and etc.
You've misread it mate, they will NOT let "anyone at all" have them. They sold off all X308 stock years ago some 20+ containers when Brown's Lane closed production.

You have to meet certain requirements before you're able to qualify to discuss with the relevant department. It helps if you're very well known in the Jaguar restoration business, and have good links to the factory and trade. Then you might get lucky. We did.

Next, I'm considering a pillarless coupe based on one of these shells, with XJR running gear.

Old 03-03-2011, 02:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 470 Likes on 352 Posts

I don't suppose you still have the roof parts do you? I notice on the photo of the back seat, the grab handles on the roof have chrome parts on them and if you still have them would you be interested in selling them to this Jaguar Magpie? I loves the chrome!!

Good Project though, just be careful near any grassy knolls!

Old 12-08-2011, 01:05 PM

A few more teasers!

Needs the wiring putting back in, the interior putting back in, a lick of paint, and a trip to the men from the ministry for an Individual Vehicle Approval test...

Old 12-08-2011, 01:06 PM

And yes, do have the roof bits - "somewhere..."

If we can find them you're welcome to them!

The following users liked this post:
Stu 1986 (12-08-2011)
Old 12-08-2011, 05:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 172 Likes on 147 Posts

PURE AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Can't wait to see the final product! great work!

Old 12-08-2011, 05:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 470 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by markocosic
And yes, do have the roof bits - "somewhere..."

If we can find them you're welcome to them!
Your project is looking good, I like how it is coming on. I have a set of handle chromes now, but thanks for the kind offer

I have a small stock of X308 Spares should you need anything, I'm only in Liverpool so not a million miles away from you.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: XJ8 Phaeton