XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

XJ8 Problems: ASC/ABS/Trac and Gearbox Fault... solutions?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2011, 03:45 PM
Received 969 Likes on 642 Posts

Originally Posted by juliovega914
I bought and installed a JayTan throttle body, and it seems to be running a lot better now. No gearbox faults yet, and its been a good week. I also replaced my thermostat housing with an aluminum one when I was at it. Great improvement overall.

The problem is that my ABS light is still on with the Trac/ASC signals still coming up. Its a bit of a mystery to me at this point.
Now you need to find out what fault code is in the ABS. Could still be the C1095 Pump Motor or something else, like a speed sensor fault. Possibly one of the front sensor link leads. Only the code will help at this point.

Cheers,

Old 12-13-2011, 06:22 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by xjrguy
Now you need to find out what fault code is in the ABS. Could still be the C1095 Pump Motor or something else, like a speed sensor fault. Possibly one of the front sensor link leads. Only the code will help at this point.

Cheers,
That's just it, there is no fault code that I can read with my OBDII reader (besides P1111 which is normal). The ABS light is just on, and I get a message saying that TRAC and ASC is unavailable. I doubt I caused any damage during the ABS module repair... I solder very frequently, several times a month.

And before anyone asks, no, the ASC off button is not active.

Last edited by juliovega914; 12-13-2011 at 06:53 PM.
Old 12-13-2011, 06:52 PM

I was thinking that for my next step, I was going to check for contact problems by measuring the resistance across the wheel speed sensor circuits directly from the pins going into the ABS module (referenced here). I read that the resistance was supposed to be about 1050-1250 ohms (which I read here).

Old 12-13-2011, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by juliovega914
That's just it, there is no fault code (besides P1111 which is normal). The ABS light is just on, and I get a message saying that TRAC and ASC is unavailable. I doubt I caused any damage during the ABS module repair... I solder very frequently, several times a month.

And before anyone asks, no, the ASC off button is not active.
What are you using to read codes?? Are you sure it can interrogate the ABS Module?? A strictly OBDII scantool generally cannot.

Old 12-13-2011, 08:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,618 Likes on 874 Posts

Hi
Here is the ABS DTC codes for 2002 XJ8 (2003 is not available in the Jaguar shop repair manual):

Name:  2002XJ8ABSDTCcodes1_Page_1.jpg
Views: 4223
Size:  88.4 KB

Name:  2002XJ8ABSDTCcodes1_Page_2.jpg
Views: 4086
Size:  79.0 KB

Here is the summary information from page 1 of the ABS DTCs.

Teves Mk 20-I ABS and ABS/TC Systems
DTCs are stored in the ABS/TC control module nonvolatile memory and can be accessed only through the
DLC (Diagnostic Link Connector) using PDU.

Depending on the fault detected, the ABS or ABS/TC module will adopt one of the following default actions:
System switches off – the ABS or ABS/TC system will be switched off until the fault is corrected.

The brake system will operate as a normal non-anti-lock system.

System inhibited – operation of the modulator assembly solenoid valves will be inhibited while the
fault is present. The brake system will operate as a normal non-anti-lock system.

TC/ASC switches off – the traction control and stability control systems will be switched off until the

fault is corrected. ABS functions will continue to operate normally.

The Jaguar ABS system can only be accessed by special code scanner that can read it (these special scanner are in the $2000 or more range). Indy shops and Jaguar dealership usually charge $100 or more to scan the ABS system.

Hope this helps you understand what the other forum members are trying to tell and help you with your ABS system issues.

Jim Lombardi

Last edited by jimlombardi; 12-13-2011 at 08:54 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Thermite (06-23-2015)
Old 12-13-2011, 11:12 PM

Juliovega914, I don't know if you will be as lucky as I was, I had similar abs, traction control, asc control errors and soldered the terminals in the abs module. When I reconnected it, I got also got the gearbox fault.
It turned out to be a bent pin in the multipin connector to the abs module.
Mine was on an XK8, but it sound similar.
Good luck, sljag

Old 12-14-2011, 06:55 AM

Unfortunately I do not have access to equipment that can be used to interrogate the abs, I simply have a ODBII code reader.

Old 12-14-2011, 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by sljag
Juliovega914, I don't know if you will be as lucky as I was, I had similar abs, traction control, asc control errors and soldered the terminals in the abs module. When I reconnected it, I got also got the gearbox fault.
It turned out to be a bent pin in the multipin connector to the abs module.
Mine was on an XK8, but it sound similar.
Good luck, sljag
Geez! Now I feel stupid! This should have occurred to me. There is a really good possibility slhag has hit that nail squarely on the head. Get a mirror and take that connector off the ABS module to inspect those pins. One of them could be laid right over. Luckily they are a very malleable metal and not brittle, so they can be easily worked back into shape with small needle-nosed pliers.

Cheers,

Old 11-05-2014, 10:18 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello everyone, I am new to the forum, however, I was able to obtain some information on here that saved me thousands of dollars. I'll post another issue I had with my brake light on another forum, however, I went through a ton of research to save the cost of $2800 for a new abs module. There are 4 sensors as you may know that are located under each wheel, but if the computer reads that the abs module is faulty, there was a very easy fix you need to look into before spending all types of money at the dealer. The ABS module is by the brake lines in the front of the car on the driver side. The ABS module is a sealed unit, so you can't open it, however, you can drill through it just enough to get to two pins that have to be soldered again. My two contacts had corrosion on them causing the ABS light/ trac control to show up overtime i started the car. Though my mechanic had never done anything like this, he said I had nothing to lose. So I provided pictures of what others have done in the past with the module and they followed it to a tee. Sure enough, when the module was put back in the car, the light went off and the ABS function perfectly. He had even locked up the brakes to make sure everything worked properly. I ended up getting charged just under 100 dollars for this repair. If anyone has any questions about this, please feel free to email me directly. I had saved a ton of money and I am doing this to see others save money for their Jags. my email address is brym85@yahoo.com

Old 08-13-2019, 06:18 PM

I had same the same problem with the Gearbox fault, I following a thread on this format, I disconnected the battery, tied the two terminals together for 5 minutes, disconnected tied cables, reattached to battery and OMG it worked. Car drives perfectly.

Old 03-23-2021, 11:07 AM
Default limp mode

Originally Posted by jimlombardi
Hi

I found this hard reset information in a forum post (member DavidN):
Do the hard reset to re-calibrate the TPS.

- Disconnect both battery cables from battery
- Turn on ignition
- Turn off ignition
- Connect battery cables together
- Turn on ignition
- Turn off ignition
- Reconnect battery cables to battery
- Start the car
- Let it idle for about 10 Minutes

(Got your radio code? )

It temporarly fixed my check engine problems (displaying gearbox, ABS, Trac, ASC faults, failsafe, etc) a number of times. At least it got me out of limp mode (after hard reset and using my Code reader scan tool to erase fault codes). I was able to drive at normal speeds back to my home. Now I always have a small travel tool kit and the code reader scan tool in our 2001 XJ8 trunk (boot) just in case we have a problem.

Jim Lombardi
Hello there, just checking to see if your Jag ran good since you reset everything?