XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Potential Buyer with a few questions

Old 01-15-2009, 05:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Potential Buyer with a few questions

Essentially I want a car that will last me for bloody ever with little for me to fiddle with. Case in point, my old Audi V8 has 300k miles on it and is still going, I've only replaced the alternator on it.

So, the XJR is, without question, the best used vehicle out there today. But are there any pitfalls that I should be aware of?

I'm pretty confident in the AJ8, from what I understand since the t-chain tensioner incident of the pre-01 cars it seems to be a fairly robust and reliable powertrain. Any thing I have not heard about infected therein?

Now, the reason I'm not knocking down the door on an Audi, given the love I have for my current one, is all those electrical gizmos they've stuffed into them. Electrical crap breaks easy. I don't want it. But the XJ seems to be fairly low tech by comparison, can you folks instruct me of any pitfalls here?

And, what about the air suspension? Do all XJ's have this? Is it as horrible as every other air suspension system I've had the opportunity to meet (as in unreliable after a few years)? What goes wrong with these and what is the cost? Can you convert them to coil springs (like you can with land rover's SLS)?

Or, for what I want, reliable tranportation that will last me another two decades and 300k miles, should I go and look at the older 2001-2003 XJ?

TIA

Old 01-16-2009, 08:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 324 Likes on 276 Posts
Default RE: Potential Buyer with a few questions

My dad would run cars into the ground and brag about how little he did to keep them running...not exactly the enthusiast attitude. I just can't run a spark plug until it burns down to the wires like he did. So your discussion is confusing, someone that likes to run their car until the wheeels falls off seldom shows up ona Jaguar lot! It's hard to know what to tell you...these cars have their faults and repairs out of warranty can take your breath away. Themajor drivetraincomponents are well developed and good quality but the air suspension is new and untested. There have been a few problems but mostly tired compressors. The part costs about $300 and about $250 to get it installed. It is not a difficult DIY project.
There have been a few blower control pack failures but overall the cars are well built of good stuff and will last. They are not gimmicky as Jaguars have always stayed behind the gimcrack curve, but the electronic systems are very sophisticated with CAN networks, data networks and so on. I always thought that Jaguars appealed to the artsy types that don't run with the mainstream, and are willing to pay to be different. That about sums it up as I see it.

Old 01-16-2009, 04:26 PM

ORIGINAL: oldmots

My dad would run cars into the ground and brag about how little he did to keep them running...not exactly the enthusiast attitude. I just can't run a spark plug until it burns down to the wires like he did. So your discussion is confusing, someone that likes to run their car until the wheeels falls off seldom shows up ona Jaguar lot!
Oh no, I run my cars forever, that doesn't mean I don't care for them. I love all my babies, I just don't want any that require me to fix things that break just because they were poorly designed/implemented.

ORIGINAL: oldmots

but the air suspension is new and untested. There have been a few problems but mostly tired compressors. The part costs about $300 and about $250 to get it installed. It is not a difficult DIY project.
If it is a DIY job I'd prefer to it to paying someone else to do it. But, are there are coil spring conversion kits for these cars? Is it a matter of when not if the suspension bits fail? Is it a matter of time or mileage?

I appreciate your inputs.

Old 01-17-2009, 07:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 200 Posts

>>Now, the reason I'm not knocking down the door on an Audi, given the love I have for my current one, is all those electrical gizmos they've stuffed into them. Electrical crap breaks easy. I don't want it. But the XJ seems to be fairly low tech by comparison, can you folks instruct me of any pitfalls here?<<

If you don't think the Jaguar is not full of the 'electrical gismos', think again. It is a very sofisticated automobile.

Old 01-18-2009, 02:57 PM

OK, I went and looked at an 04 with very low miles. A few questions, on start up (cold and cold out) there was a chirp chirp chirp sound, guess it was the serpentine belt? Dealer wrote this off as it just being cold. Thoughts?

Also, the wood trim had hairline cracks scattered about, is this a normal defect?

Otherwise the car was gorgeous and was just sex on wheels.

ORIGINAL: hlgeorge

If you don't think the Jaguar is not full of the 'electrical gismos', think again. It is a very sofisticated automobile.
Not saying that, I'm just saying it doesn't have all the toys that are all essentially worthless to a car.

Old 01-18-2009, 03:09 PM
Received 59 Likes on 12 Posts

The belt noise has a couple of service bulletins. If it is NA then there is just an updated idler pulley and belt which is fairly cheap for a Jag. If it is SC there a couple of updated pulleys and brackets with a new double ribbed(both sides) belt that gets rather pricey for a belt noise. It is even more expensive to fit on the '06 as they included air injection that blocks access to the pulleys and bolts. Cracks in the veneerare not common for that year but someone pounding on the veneer with their fist will cause cracks especially in the door veneers.

Old 01-18-2009, 03:32 PM

Thank you, is the belt noise just a noise that can be lived with or a tell tale sign of something that is doomed to fail?

Old 01-19-2009, 02:36 PM

OK, what would you price an 04 XJ8 in good shape with low miles with the belt noise issue and in need of new shoes?

And again, if anyone can advise if the belt noise is an issue that needs to be taken care of let me know (or if it is just an annoyance) id appreciate it.

Old 09-27-2012, 04:24 PM

Hey folks, I'm back, while the original purchase didn't bend towards Jag I'm back in the hunt for wifey's replacement, and the XJ8 is in the top three. Thankfully there are still nice examples out there to be had. So, a few follow-up questions if you will:

1) The belt noise issue as noted above, is it an annoyance or a problem?

2) How is the Touchscreen nav system option? PITA or a nice addition?

3) Are there any issues with the transmission on these cars?

4) Are there certain years more desirable for reliability than others?

5) I no longer fear the air suspension (how liberating ) as since my last look about the aftermarket has stepped in to offer affordable parts, and coil conversion! Has anyone driven an air sprun xj compared to a coil sprun one? Thoughts? I'll be dreading the day I get the call to come pick wifey up at work when the block valves have frozen up on a winters day (her parking area is uncovered at work, the humanity )

6) And the parking brake, I've read a bunch of S-type owners having a problem with this, is is an issue on the XJ as well?

Many many thanks!

Last edited by silly_me; 09-27-2012 at 04:36 PM.
Old 09-27-2012, 04:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,423 Likes on 1,936 Posts

Just let your wifey have a few test drives. These cars are pretty good, although that Audi takes some beating ! Like all cars there are some things that can go wrong, but generally they are reliable, although some things seem to wear out a bit early like suspension parts, but the aftermarket has these well in hand now.

Old 09-27-2012, 06:20 PM
Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

I have an 04 xj8. When i bought it, it had the air suspension, sherry many issues with the suspension, and a huge bill from jag to replace the parts that failed on me, i converted. Honestly, the ride us near identical, it just cannot adjust to driving conditions. Arnott is the company. Whether you want to keep the air suspension when it breaks or convert it, Arnott is the company. The price is amazing. The customer service is even better. The warranty is the best. Other than compressors, shocks and three conversion kit,

Old 09-27-2012, 06:23 PM

I have an 04 xj8. When i bought it, it had the air suspension, sherry many issues with the suspension, and a huge bill from jag to replace the parts that failed on me, i converted. Honestly, the ride us near identical, it just cannot adjust to driving conditions. Arnott is the company. Whether you want to keep the air suspension when it breaks or convert it, Arnott is the company. The price is amazing. The customer service is even better. The warranty is the best. Other than compressors, shocks and the conversion kit, all have lifetime warranties, GREAT WARRANTIES. check them out. Happy car shopping.

Old 09-27-2012, 06:24 PM

Btw, sorry bout the double post. In using an Android to submit posts. Trends to be

Old 09-28-2012, 08:52 PM
Question Lurking...

Just like silly_me I've been fighting the Jag Bug for about a month. I was originally thinking X-Type (for around 5k) until an 'o4 XJ8 shows up close by. It's a one owner car that has been serviced at the same dealer for the entire 98k miles. I've driven it and walked around it about 10x but all the electrical widgets on the car kinda scare me. I can buy this one for 10k. She started out at 14.5k and over the past week dropped it to the Least she'll take. This 'o4 is probably as immaculate as they get. The cigarette lighter looks like it has never been Hot (much less a weed stuck to it). It has Michelin tires and they ride pretty harsh. IMO Everything else seems OK. The headlights have been changed! (and a relay added under the hood)

I am a car guy. I've owned about everything you can think of but never a Jag. (One Porsche, no Whorsche was the worst POS I've ever owned.) My Wife has a new Camry and I just haven't been so enthused with the Yota. I've been into VW diesels since '98 and we still have an '03 Jetta Tdi w/5 speed (and have a Z3) so right, wrong buying the XJ8 is not like it has to be a daily driver.

The second thing I'm concerned about is other people. I hate getting revved about all the $$$$ comments. I'm sure you owners know what I'm talking about.

Should I go hand the owner the 10k or keep the Ho-Humm Camry? I do have experience as a mechanic (electrical, electronics, paint & body, welding) but I don't want something else to work on. (The Tdi needs a timing belt right now.)

Old 09-29-2012, 04:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,423 Likes on 1,936 Posts

As you seem to be a good mechanic, then really you have nothing to fear of this car, but it would be very useful to have a good independent Jaguar shop reasonably close to you. If the car has a full service history from the same agent for its whole 98k miles then it is likely most of the jobs that need doing between 0 and 98k miles will have been done already, These cars can easily run up to 250k miles, but have to be properly maintained to do so. You have seen the car, presumably driven it, so it is decision time. If it was me, I'd go for it.

Only thing I am not sure about is this: -

The headlights have been changed! (and a relay added under the hood)
Why has this been done ?

If you're going to do your own maintenance & repairs, then there is now loads of stuff on the internet, at much lower prices than main agents. The British suppliers usually ship to the USA, if you can't find something in the USA.

Finally, I see you have done bodywork/paint, so make sure you mug-up on repair and painting of aluminium panels, because the whole car is made of aluminium. (Apologies if you knew that already !)

The following users liked this post:
1avguy (09-30-2012)
Old 09-30-2012, 07:37 AM
Angry (Did not mean to Hi-Jack the Thread)

Sitting on the Fence, I decided to take the Wife by Saturday morning to drive the XJ8 (if they still had the car). Sure enough it was still there. I told her I was hoping that it would be G O N E and asked why? She said two people had tried to borrow $$$$ and the bank wouldn't loan them money. Since my Wife was with me she handed me the keys and I told her "Be Back In A Few Minutes". (She drove.) I expected that she'd say "Ohhhhh... I LOVE IT" but what she said was, "I just don't Feel It". She handed the keys back and told them she just didn't think that was "it". Since I'm not willing to sell one of my cars, it's a No Go on the XJ8.

Started looking for an '08 MB C300 yesterday. We owned a C230 five years ago and she liked it. I was hoping the 10k pristine XJ8 was going to save me a few thousand (on the initial purchase) but I guess not.

Talking technical to non-technical owners sometimes it difficult. I'd asked about the "Creative Wiring" under the hood, what I understood was the car had Xenon lights and they were replaced with standard lights. I'll see if I can post a picture. I can tell you this, the size wire used is Not Big Enough to Carrie the Current! (The wires were Hot when I touched them.) You can see that a relay was added and feeds a wire spliced to the outside head lights.

Attached Thumbnails  Potential Buyer with a few questions-img00805.jpg  
Old 10-08-2012, 11:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 505 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by CaptMike
Sitting on the Fence, I decided to take the Wife by Saturday morning to drive the XJ8 (if they still had the car). Sure enough it was still there. I told her I was hoping that it would be G O N E and asked why? She said two people had tried to borrow $$$$ and the bank wouldn't loan them money. Since my Wife was with me she handed me the keys and I told her "Be Back In A Few Minutes". (She drove.) I expected that she'd say "Ohhhhh... I LOVE IT" but what she said was, "I just don't Feel It". She handed the keys back and told them she just didn't think that was "it". Since I'm not willing to sell one of my cars, it's a No Go on the XJ8.

Started looking for an '08 MB C300 yesterday. We owned a C230 five years ago and she liked it. I was hoping the 10k pristine XJ8 was going to save me a few thousand (on the initial purchase) but I guess not.

Talking technical to non-technical owners sometimes it difficult. I'd asked about the "Creative Wiring" under the hood, what I understood was the car had Xenon lights and they were replaced with standard lights. I'll see if I can post a picture. I can tell you this, the size wire used is Not Big Enough to Carrie the Current! (The wires were Hot when I touched them.) You can see that a relay was added and feeds a wire spliced to the outside head lights.
As an dealer, AND an owner of both. Let me just tell you that the c300 and the XJ8 are light years apart. Some things are better on the C, most things are better on the XJ8.

The first and most blaringly obvious thing to note: Physical size. You could park a c300 in the xj8's trunk. Well not really but you get the idea. The merc is a bit more nimble, but the xj8 gives you much more confidence on the road, it's firmly planted, and if you get a sport pack Merc, smoother....

The Merc especially the 300 is a bit underpowered, this effect is multiplied when you have the AWD system (which I do), but that's why I have it. But you have to drive it like ur mad at it to get what I considered acceptable performance.

The interiors are also night and day, and that's the Merc's downfall. They use "leatherette" seats in a 300, unless the customer has specifically ordered leather. There are acres of cheap plastic, and a bit of fake wood. and the electronics, though well organized are unimpressive. It's something reminicient of a Toyota, until you go sit in a new Toyota and realize they have come up in the world.

The jag on the other hand well, it's a finely crafted work of art. I have an 04 xj8 on my lot with 133k. The interior still looks virtually pristine. The car rides and drives beautifuly, but it has had it's share of expensive repairs as indicated by the service history.

Honestly, the C has been a good car for me but i've only had it for 18k. My mom had an 09, that the sunroof broke on and had the entire sunroof cassette replaced under warranty (they had the car for 3 days).

Take care,

George