XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Air suspension... Almost 100% fixed er... right! Suuuure it is!

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2014, 06:20 AM
Xag
Received 131 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by Blairware
Guus - Thanks once again. In fact I don't mean to sound like I am being argumentative, and I am really pleased you have shared all this knowledge. I also read a bit (I think it may have been in the dealer education PDF that Don linked to earlier in this thread) about a "Slow fill" and a "Fast Fill" The slow is for when you are driving, and smaller adjustments are required (they use the example of fuel tank slowly emptying, but that wouldn't require pumping, but rather venting because the car is getting lighter, but I got the idea anyway. Then the fast fill is for when the car is stationary, and would also make sense if some pressure was lost from a long sitting period of a week or more. This gets the system quickly pressured and ready to ride. I do still wonder about your comment about waiting a bit before driving off - and another post I saw where the guy would get faults "when he drove off quickly" I think I get it now based on the fast/slow fill rates. If it's doing a Fast Fill and you drive off, it will probably cancel the fill since it's programmed to only do slow fill when in motion.

The theory holds until you get to wondering: Why can't a slow fill resolve the air suspension fault, even if it needed to run 20 times, it should still correct it. I ALSO wonder WHY, for petes sake won't it clear an ASF without "sitting for an hour or two. MANY reports have stated that an ASF, once tripped does not switch off until it's given that down time. Sigh. It's not like I am even getting a lot of them. I believe I have had 3 occurrences ever, and over the course of 6-7 days, and perhaps 20 or more trips in the car. It's just a mystery, and I DON"T LIKE MYSTERIES WITH MY CAR. In a good book, yes. In my Jaguar? NO! Keep the thoughts and info coming. I can't ever know too much about this.
No problem, I find it an interesting subject and am interested how the system actually works. More then just repeating might be solutions.

The document Don mentions is very interesting and you should read page 7-13 on the behavior. I think the situations I've noticed and described are the ones that are beyond the "majority of cases" they mention.

Interesting point on the slow and fast fill and when the ASF message disappears. I'll think about it, got to go now.

Guus

Old 10-22-2014, 07:06 PM
Received 150 Likes on 95 Posts
Default Looking better

Well, there have been no additional faults displayed in the last week, so I am cautiously optimistic. The last time I said that I got a code the next time I drove. I wonder if the piston ring, after running a number of cycles has seated better against the cylinder wall. In any event I have been sitting for a few minutes before driving off in case that has an effect on the initial run of the compressor after starting the car. No news is good news in this case. I will check back periodically and let everyone know how its going.

Thanks for all of the detailed information and for doing some educated guesswork with me. I appreciate it and enjoyed the discussions.

Iam so happy to be back in a Jaguar again. I actually ran a Japanese car for about 18 months, a fun, dependable and completely BORING Scion tC. Oh, and cheaply built. After that the Jag feels... substantial.

Best regards,

Blairware / John Blair

Old 10-22-2014, 08:19 PM
Received 162 Likes on 128 Posts

The Jag is substantial. I end up in and out of rental cars regularly and other than the newer Mercedes S Class, they all feel cheap in comparison. The E-Class? Bleh. Forget anything American too.