XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Air suspension fault

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2008, 03:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Air suspension fault

I had the same thing. Light came on last winter on an extremely cold day. After switching off car and restarting after about a 20 min. delay-no light. OK until this Sat-25 degree temps and light came on . Stayed on until I started car next day-light stayed off. Question: when the codes are stored do they have date attached to them.

Old 12-07-2008, 12:09 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Same exact thing is happening to me. In the summer, nothing. In the fall, every once in a whilethen I turned off my car and it would go away for a while. Now it is freezing out and it is coming on most of the time. But other little things are happening. The stereo mode switches from radio to CD for no reason on occasion. Sometimes the ESC light pops on, even if I am on a dry road.

1. After reading this thread, is it possible that I just need a new battery?
2. I would rather not bring it to the dealer and drop $2k on an air compressoe. Are there any easy fixes?
3. One poster said it could be that I need a relay #4 under the hood. What does this mean? Is this easy to do?

Thanks for any reply. This is my first Jaguar and it is perplexing.

Old 12-11-2008, 04:49 PM
Received 120 Likes on 95 Posts

Air compressor (remanufactured from Jaguar) was about $280 for me plus 2 hours labor (another $230).

Old 12-11-2008, 06:00 PM

Thanks for the info veffremov! $500 is better than $2000! But I would still like to know if it could be a weak battery or that #4 relay. I have had a lot of other electrical "bugs" like the radio switching to CD on its own, the rear defroster coming on automatically, etc.

Any thoughts out there Jaguar experts?

Old 12-11-2008, 06:18 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

jagster for the rear defroster coming on automatically. that is normal it is set up from the factory to trun on to a preset degreesout side. I have a S-type andwhen it gets to the temp. setting out side it truns it on. i found that out a year ago.

Old 12-11-2008, 06:42 PM

Oh cool. That solves that at least. But all kinds of other weird electrical things are happening. I am just wondering if it is that #4 relay or a bad battery? I might just have them test the battery to see...I want to avoid taking it to the *********** if at all possible...

Old 12-29-2008, 07:28 PM

I have been reading the thead since Sept of this year when I experienced the "Air Suspension Fault-Ride Too Low" warning. The outside temperature was about 34 degrees F. The nearest dealer was 500 miles away, but upon their recommendation, I drove to their facility. During the ride, the front end was on the "snubbers", but by missing the big bumps, I could drive along alright. When the outside temperature reached around 52 degrees F, I would stop and turn the engine off for about 3 minutes. Upon restarting, the nose would come up to normal and remain at that height until the temperature again dropped to around 42 degrees F.
The dealer pulled codes and found C2302.He then performed diagnostic procedure per bulletin JTB0D067,checked for leaks and loose fittings, measured ride height after sitting over night, placed car in customer mode and test drove. No faults or leaks were found. I returned home.
The problem continues to occur and definitely is cold related. The above described temperature ranges are still correct and the latest occurrance was 12/29/08. I spoke with the dealer service department (2.5 hours away) today and they will take another crack at it. The manager said that they replace a few shocks after this problem. We shall see.
I am seeing various sensible causes and solutions in this thread and they all make a good case.

Old 12-30-2008, 10:41 AM

MrBones, I am completely convinced it is a problem that is, at the very least, exacerbated by the cold. I hardly saw the light in the summer months and autumn, but it has been on steadily since winter hit. We have had a few 50 degree days, and it has went out again. So there certainly appears to be some connection to temperature.

Old 12-31-2008, 07:01 PM

Jagster, I agree. Now it is up to the fellows in the dealer shop to sort out compressor, sensor, shock, etc. causes. I hope they are up to it. I need a cold day to let them do their testing and we all live in the desert area. I have this sneaking suspicion that I can do the work in my own shop, but I am lazy.

Old 12-31-2008, 10:41 PM
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,355 Posts

after reading a few posts Ill throw some insite into air suspension issues,
1 front shocks need ALOT of air which is why they drop most often when low on air wether from leaks or weak compressor
2 since cold air drops pressue and shrinks everything rediucing compressor efficiency, the spec is 14 bar (approx 200psi) is 3minutes or less to fill reservoir. when it fails this time frame you get C2303 reservoir plausabilty error, and air suspension fault in message center. If youre paying you have to decide if you have an issue that warrants repair for the money if only when cold weather. or if under warranty now you know the most common issue with air suspension faults.

Old 01-11-2009, 06:21 PM

Hello Guys!

I drive a 2004 XJ8 4.2 and this is my first winter with the car. I really am struggeling with the same problem. It is cold here now and I can not use the car outside the city. As I leave the town and start going faster in cold winter AIR SUSPENSION FAILURE and VEHICLE TOO LOW signs appear, car lowers, etc.... Dealer told me they have no idea what the problem can be. No leaks on air suspension, kompressor is ok, they cannot fix it. I cannot drive it...

Does anybody know how this problem can be solved? I have to stop every 10kms when it is colder than -5 degrees Celsius because the car looks like on the pictures I attached....

Thanks a lot,

Attila

Old 01-11-2009, 06:23 PM

Pic uploaded!!!

Old 01-11-2009, 07:49 PM

I have not gotten those messages. Mine says "air suspension fault" and it is perfectly alright to drive. It is just that the light comes on fairly frequently when it is cold, and not at all when it is warm. It is more of an annoyance than anything. The car still drives fine.

"Brutal" provided the best answer I have yet heard for the "air suspension fault" message (thank you), but your messages sound a bit more serious, and a bit different than what we have all been discussing. It might be a good idea to make a new post in the forum, since this seems to be a related but slightly different problem.

BTW, aside from this prob, I LOVE the car and it has been surprisingly good in the snow.

Old 01-11-2009, 08:03 PM
Received 120 Likes on 95 Posts

Try a different dealer. Did they give you any error codes?

Old 01-11-2009, 11:08 PM

Attilas, I have not yet taken the car into the dealer, and it is getting warmer here now. We are in the desert of western USA and the dealer is 2.5 hours away. I, too, am hoping that the error codes store a time stamp. I will repost when I get to the dealer. Good luck.

Old 01-12-2009, 10:59 AM

Yes I've tried! All dealers belong to the same company is Hungary, so none of them could helped me. They all adviced me to go to the main dealer (where they did no know what my problem was).[sm=badidea.gif]

Old 01-19-2009, 03:48 PM

Is this problem a matter of when and not if?

Is there a coil spring conversion available?

Where is the best place to pick up these parts, any online shops?

Are replacing the compressor and springs a DiY job?

Old 01-19-2009, 05:20 PM

ORIGINAL: silly_me

Is there a coil spring conversion available?

Where is the best place to pick up these parts, any online shops?
I'd also like to know if a normal spring and shock combo is available, I've been shopping for a XJR and this is one headache that I don't want to deal with. Even with the SE warranty that so iffy.

Old 01-20-2009, 09:59 AM

Looking at this site: http://www.arden.de/aade/produktgrup...73436313d34696

Seems like there is a coilover option (the only one I've found thus far)

Old 01-20-2009, 04:44 PM
Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

Is it me or is this air suspension more of a problem to people that don't actually own a Jag. You guys are scarring me. If my air suspension goes out, I'm finding a way to retrofit it with aftermarket air suspension.I'm pretty damn sure it won't cost near as much as the Arden kits cost. $3500?For a retrofit?Does it cost more to just fix the air fault and maybe buy the tow truck driver dinner? I have a Suburban that I plan on retrofitting with air suspension. It can't be too hard to do. I see people with 45 year old Impalas that they put air ride on and those things can skip rope.[sm=bounceybounce.gif]
http://www.faskit.net/has a fix for Range Rovers and say it works for any car with air suspension so you dont get stranded. I don't know how much it costs. Just something to think about.

Quick Reply: Air suspension fault