XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Airbag light on and off? RESOLVED

Old 09-13-2011, 08:04 PM
Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
Default --Three brothers from different mothers--

Air Bag warning light: flashing code 1 9
Clockspring, cancellation module, cassette module: what is this thing that causes my airbag light to flash Morse code??
This is my first post and not trying to highjack the thread, but, I’ve just completed this repair.
Started reading this great forum and other places and here’s what I learned and how to fix “it”.
The name:
Clockspring – part C2C14029 term used in TOPIX/JTIS
Cancellation/cassette module – part C2C14029 term used in Jaguar electronic parts catalog (EPC)
What is it:
The clockspring is designed to carry signals between the RCM and the driver air bag module. The clockspring is fitted to the steering column, and consists of fixed and moving parts connected by a coiled tape with integral conducting tracks. The tape is able to 'wind up' and 'unwind' as the steering wheel (to which the moving part is attached) is turned, maintaining electrical contact at all times between the RCM and the driver air bag module.

So if you’re buying one, call it cancellation/cassette module… If you’re fixing one, call it clockspring !!

Check it out on eBay. http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=C2C14029&_sacat=0&_odkw=Cancellation+m odule+C2C14029&_osacat=0&_trksid=p3286.c0.m270.l13 13
The job takes about 2 hours for me. (I’m an amateur)

Tools: 4mm allen wrench, 10mm open end wrench, 21mm socket wrench, T25 torx socket, Phillips screwdriver, and various socket extensions, electronic parts cleaner (CRC).

WARNING: Always wear safety glasses when handling an air bag module.
  • Turn the steering wheel 90 degrees to access one of the two 4mm allen screws at the back of the wheel. Remove allen screw. Turn wheel 180 degrees and repeat for second screw.
  • Make sure the wheels are in the straight-ahead position.
  • Lower the steering column and extend it fully.
  • WARNING: Prior to the removal of the airbag and before disconnecting any clockspring electrical connectors, the battery ground cable must be disconnected and a period of one minute allowed to elapse. Disconnect battery (10mm open end wrench). Wait one minute….
  • Pull off steering wheel horn cover/airbag assembly and disconnect air-bag. The two connectors are easily removed, one at a time, by squeezing both levers on the sides of each connector.
  • Place the airbag assembly away from the work area for safety concerns.
  • Remove steering wheel with 21mm socket and extension. Notice any alignment marking on the bolt for reference when replacing the wheel. Disconnect wired connector (the only thing hold the wheel to the car) and remove the wheel.
  • Remove lower steering column cowl with Phillips screwdriver (2 screws) and disconnect the column/pedal switch.
  • Remove the upper steering column cowl with Phillips screwdriver (3 screws).
  • Remove the steering column multifunction switch left-hand. Notice the position of the switch before removing. If not placed back in the correct position after repair, the turn signal cancellation will not work and the cowls will not fit correctly. (this one bit me)..
  • Remove the steering column multifunction switch right-hand. Ditto comment above..
  • Remove carefully two wired connectors on the lower back corners of the clockspring.
  • Remove the clockspring using T25 torx socket. Be careful to maintain the center wheel position. You’ll notice an arrow that positions the wheel.. no need to unwind it.
  • Clean up the connectors. I did not disassemble the clockspring any further as others have.
  • Reassemble. The biggest pain reassembling is the cowls.. and getting it into alignment, I’m a perfectionist and I spent 30 minutes on this..

The following 3 users liked this post by donch61:
Bob Hornby (09-01-2021), Smeghead (08-26-2017), u102768 (09-13-2011)
Old 09-20-2011, 10:07 AM
HBZ
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

you beat me to it!! This was my version of how to fix the air-bag code 19 flash:

Did I have less steps than you, Mr Donch?

I spent thirty minutes (also) to fix it for free...

1. Turn wheel 90degrees to access one of the two allen screws at the back of the wheel: remove allen screw. Turn wheel 180 and repeat for second screw.
2. Disconnect battery
3. Pull off steering wheel horn cover and carefully disconnect air-bag
4. Remove central bolt holding steering wheel in position
5. Remove wheel, taking care to disconnect steering wheel button connections
6. Remove "spiral cassette" using the visible torq screws
7. Dismantle spiral cassette
8. Clean ALL electical connections and contact points using WD40 or similar. Include removing the main spiral ribbon cable and squirt some cleaner toward its connections.
9. put back together again
10. connect battery
Voila.

The following users liked this post:
donch61 (09-21-2011)
Old 09-21-2011, 07:36 PM

We're similar HBZ. Main differences : removing the cowling, and i did not disassemble the clockspring. It took me 2 hours for the complete job. But i must be more "mechanically challenged"....

Old 02-05-2012, 12:19 PM
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

HBZ or Donch61, did either of you take pictures as you went through the steps of repairing/replacing your clock springs. I'd try to do this myself but I'd like to see some pictures to better know what to expect. Thanks.

Old 02-05-2012, 10:00 PM

Here's a few... they are not very focused. Just take your time, cleaning the connectors on the clockspring with Electrical contact cleaner was the fix for my car.

Attached Thumbnails Airbag light on and off? RESOLVED-airbagremoval.png   Airbag light on and off? RESOLVED-airbagconnector.png   Airbag light on and off? RESOLVED-clockspring.png  
Old 02-06-2012, 09:26 AM
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks a million. The pictures are helpful.

Old 10-19-2012, 10:22 PM
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

This worked for me, my symptoms were:
Airbag light comes on 90% of the time after you turn the steering wheel.

After taking it apart, I didn't see any thing very apparent that was causing the light, I didn't want to spray any chemicals on these airbag components so I cleaned the wheel and sensor and used compressed air on the tape. It was a very quick and easy job. I think the car is fixed.

Old 10-22-2012, 03:28 PM
Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by donch61

• Turn the steering wheel 90 degrees to access one of the two 4mm allen screws at the back of the wheel. Remove allen screw. Turn wheel 180 degrees and repeat for second screw.
Interesting. I fixed my airbag light a couple of weekends ago and mine had torx screws holding the airbag to the wheel (can't remember the size).

Julian.

Old 12-09-2012, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by jbarringer
interesting. I fixed my airbag light a couple of weekends ago and mine had torx screws holding the airbag to the wheel (can't remember the size).

Julian.
t30

Old 12-09-2012, 02:55 PM

I had another car with the 19 code so I tried this process again but I had no luck, code came back on.

Old 08-23-2014, 08:14 PM
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Re airbag blinking light

Originally Posted by JimC64

Hey Chris, why not post a "how to" for this if you've already done it?

Sound like it may be helpful both now and in the future
Just to follow up on the airbag light issue with my 2005 XJ. I had a Jaguar mechanic check it and he tells me that it needs a new cassette reel. It will be over a week before I can get the car for him to replace the reel. In the meantime is it dangerous for me to drive the car in terms of the airbag deploying involuntarily?

Old 05-05-2018, 05:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 786 Likes on 664 Posts
Question

Question;

Has anybody had a similar experience?

Bought an 07 V D P, that started throwing a #B2292 code, clockspring code. The dash has some light bulbs out, so figured do them both at the same time. Then realized the thermostat and its housings were in need of replacement. Well did the water pump, serpentine belt, tensioner pulley, idler, while there, auxiliary pump was new. Buttoned things back up, filled with new coolant mix, temperature stays back where it belongs. So far the B2293 code has not returned, is this common? No complaints mind you, but curious. As is the cruse not available warning, when your battery, is what the real issue is.

Old 08-05-2018, 04:11 AM
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Hi,
randomly on my XJ6 I have the same issues. 1-9 but after a temperature rise or fall, the fault is over a day away and is coming back again. Im not sure, if I also have seen a 1-7 fault.

This fault is logged in the system:
"current circuit loop 2 driver airbag (frontal impact) - interrupted"

Is this a connector below the seat or the the clock spring as you have mentioned it before?

BR

Old 08-07-2018, 05:09 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

clock spring

Old 08-07-2018, 05:10 PM

clock spring fitted and held with tape

Old 08-07-2018, 05:13 PM

Inside is just a plastic ribbon.

If you buy a second hand one, try to make sure is doesn't get unwound as the ribbon will just fold over itself and break and you'll be back to square one.

Old 09-15-2021, 07:38 PM
Received 54 Likes on 32 Posts

Thanks very Donch61 much for you detailed instructions for the replacement of the Indicator Cancelling Cassette. It gave me a lot of confidence to tackle the job and it was successful. I didn't have the 21mm socket but I do have a 7/16" BSW (British Standard Whitworth) which is almost the same. I did have a bit of trouble in fixing the lower column cover back in respect to not being able to see the screws ( I am 78 and not very flexible any more).
Bob.

Last edited by Bob Hornby; 09-15-2021 at 07:50 PM. Reason: Added a few words.
Old 01-31-2023, 11:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Bob .
just wanted to comment back as it appears you and i are in the same march forward as far as age goes ,so i know what you mean when you say you cant see screw heads etc any more !, on another interesting note i was raised and schooled in Wamberal and spent many happy years of my young life at the skillion ,fishing and later drinking at what was known then as the Terrigal hotel!!.
Cheers, my friend. and happy jagging

Old 02-01-2023, 05:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Here we go again, airbag light problem.

Thanks guys i have read all the fixes but i am still confused as to which one is right and which A/b does it relate to ? the previous owner tried to resolve it ,took out and replaced the module and all sorts of things then put it back together ,it went off and nearly broke his neck !

Old 02-03-2023, 06:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 786 Likes on 664 Posts

Left the battery connected?