XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Almost an owner 2006 Vanden Plas

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2014, 03:02 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile Almost an owner 2006 Vanden Plas

Hello,
My friend is selling her Jaguar Vanden Plas with 29k original miles on it. My husband HAS to have it. We took it to the mechanic and it needs, brakes, rotors, control bushings and alignment. The really pricey stuff is the rear window shade, which needs to be replaced and center console (the cover won't open).

It's a great car, but I wanted to get some feedback from you all regarding replacing the interior things (console and rear shade) and if you have advice. Those two items alone are about $2500 new :-(

Thanks!

Old 09-30-2014, 03:06 PM
Exclamation one last thing

I can't figure out how to edit my post. So sorry. I am also trying to figure out if I can get a current map for my GPS which has never been update. Does anyone know what the most current map available would be or how I can find out. Thank you!!

Old 09-30-2014, 07:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Bump for help......

Old 09-30-2014, 11:00 PM
Default Rear shade

Search the forum for help on the rear shade. If you can hear the motor with no movement it may be stuck. Once dislodged, it can be lubricated and wi be good to go. Otherwise the motor and shade assembly can be purchased separately now which reduces the cost to fix.

Old 09-30-2014, 11:02 PM
Default Brakes, rotors and bushes

Surprised a car with only 29k needs these items, but as wear items once they're fixed you have a like new car. I just purchased an 07 VDP last week and love it.

Recommend checking the headliner for sagging.

Old 09-30-2014, 11:49 PM
Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts
Smile

Good luck with your new cat. At 29 k mi its just a baby; an expensive baby to feed properly.

I just got an 06 XJ Super 8 with 33k mi 3 months ago from the Jag dealer in Mission Viejo.
They put on new tires and brakes on all four wheels. In addition it needed a front link.

These cars have suspension components that require replacement often to maintain the air suspension ride quality. I bought a third party warranty for 4yrs/48k mi knowing these cars require a lot of money to maintain the level of enjoyment one expects from a luxury motor car.

Suggest you maintain it at a Dealership or find a reputable independent shop in your area.

Your husband has great wife!

Old 10-01-2014, 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by shtse73
Surprised a car with only 29k needs these items, but as wear items once they're fixed you have a like new car. I just purchased an 07 VDP last week and love it.

Recommend checking the headliner for sagging.
The car and owner lived in Palos Verdes where there are lots of hills and windy roads. I've been told the cars up they need brakes more often!

Old 10-01-2014, 08:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 166 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by socalwinegirl
The car and owner lived in Palos Verdes where there are lots of hills and windy roads. I've been told the cars up they need brakes more often!
I used to live in the Lunada Bay area in the 60's and 70's and I can attest to that. Tires also needed to be replaced more often as well. I used to ride my motorcycle around the peninsula on PV Drive. Fun drive but I had to watch out for drivers that couldn't see motorcycles.

Last edited by carelm; 10-01-2014 at 01:47 PM.
Old 10-01-2014, 09:57 AM
Received 126 Likes on 78 Posts

Do you have to have the rear shade? Admittedly it's just a fun feature, but then again, my 2 year old 'must' have it.... "shade, shade, up, up!".

Mine was replaced under warranty by PO, the tech told him that if they aren't used much, they tend to stop working.

You can always search for a good used center section (and shade). Much, much cheaper than new.

good luck!

Old 10-01-2014, 10:31 AM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I personally wouldn't bother with the rear shade at that price. The console, I'd probably get fixed, that would be annoying not to have it open.

Old 10-01-2014, 06:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 739 Likes on 622 Posts

Originally Posted by socalwinegirl
Hello,
My friend is selling her Jaguar Vanden Plas with 29k original miles on it. My husband HAS to have it. We took it to the mechanic and it needs, brakes, rotors, control bushings and alignment. The really pricey stuff is the rear window shade, which needs to be replaced and center console (the cover won't open).

It's a great car, but I wanted to get some feedback from you all regarding replacing the interior things (console and rear shade) and if you have advice. Those two items alone are about $2500 new :-(

Thanks!
Way, way too much money!!

From the above it sounds like your mechanic is at a dealership:

ie Throw parts at it and hang the cost, the customer is paying.

Firstly, I would find another mechanic who ideally should be local to you,running a small

business and recommended.

I can understand why your husband HAS to have it!

Brake pads and rotors are easy and quick to replace and not expensive.

Bushes can be purchased separately from the arms and pressed in.

In fact one of the forum members (Brutal) is a professional mechanic and sells new/refurbished control arms.

I am very suspicious as to why this Jag needs so much work at such a low mileage.

Rear window shades can sometimes be fixed by pulling it up and pressing the button at the same time.

Search this forum (with google) for info on stuck centre cover.

Four wheel alignment costs $100 in Australia.

Your husband will love this car!

The following users liked this post:
Don B (10-01-2014)
Old 10-02-2014, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by meirion1
Way, way too much money!!

From the above it sounds like your mechanic is at a dealership:

ie Throw parts at it and hang the cost, the customer is paying.

Firstly, I would find another mechanic who ideally should be local to you,running a small

business and recommended.

I can understand why your husband HAS to have it!

Brake pads and rotors are easy and quick to replace and not expensive.

Bushes can be purchased separately from the arms and pressed in.

In fact one of the forum members (Brutal) is a professional mechanic and sells new/refurbished control arms.

I am very suspicious as to why this Jag needs so much work at such a low mileage.

Rear window shades can sometimes be fixed by pulling it up and pressing the button at the same time.

Search this forum (with google) for info on stuck centre cover.

Four wheel alignment costs $100 in Australia.

Your husband will love this car!

Thank you for your feedback everyone. I agree to replace those items with new parts is too much money. It isn't a dealer... they are a small repair shop with a mechanic was worked at a jag dealer as a master mechanic. They said they'd look for used parts. The shade has a broken "eyelette" on it that can't be repaired. Apparently it's on one of the arms (this is all greek to me by the way). The console top has a broken cable, so I'm not sure how I can buy another top section that is used. It might not have the cable? My top looks fine, it's what is underneath that is broken.

As for the brakes and arms I'm having that fixed now. I can't drive all over town with it that way and we don't have a lot of European car shops here in my town. I feel confident with the one I chose. The prior owner lived in the hills and for the life of the car the majority of the 29k miles driven were up and down the windy roads with a lot a braking. But I know the owners and the care was garaged and they didn't drive it like Jeff Gordon.. they are a nice low key professional couple.

Thanks again for your help. if you have any other advice about the two broken parts I'm all ears. I don't want to buy the wrong things and get stuck with. I'll post photos of the car soon.