XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Engine coolant low

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2012, 10:09 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,252 Likes on 1,414 Posts

Thanks Steve! Sorry if I come off as a doubting Thomas, but past experience with them has left me second guessing everything they do!

Old 04-09-2012, 02:30 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All:

I just started getting the Engine Coolant Low warning on my car. It comes on about 30 seconds after start and then is gone within 3-5 minutes. I haven't checked it (no chance yet) but my assumption is that the coolant expands slightly and pushes the float over the low mark after a couple minutes of operation.

I'm sure I'll need to add some coolant when I do check it out. I read through the thread and found the following coolant referenced a couple posts above: JLM209723.

Is this the correct coolant and any recommendations on where to buy it? I see prices vary from $50-$70 for the 5 liter bottle.

Suggestions/advice are appreciated!

Dave

Old 04-11-2012, 11:05 AM
Received 969 Likes on 642 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave S
Bump back to the top...thoughts on who is best to buy the coolant from?

That is the correct coolant for your car. The dealer, of course, is the first source. I suppose there are some other parts sources that might stock it. Best to search with that part number I would guess.

Cheers,

Old 04-11-2012, 11:14 AM

Bump back to the top...thoughts on who is best to buy the coolant from?

Old 04-11-2012, 11:32 AM

Thanks Steve! Unfortunately I haven't a dealer close to me (okay, if I wasn't lazy, I could drive an hour to the closest one...LOL) so looking around online I found a pretty wide range of prices. I'm sure they're all good if the right number though...so I'll shop around and see what I come up with!

Old 04-11-2012, 04:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,252 Likes on 1,414 Posts

I used dexcool last year, it is also an OAT fluid and around $15 a bottle at all auto parts stores v. $50 at the dealer.

I was told that fluid was okay to use, hope that was correct.

Old 08-17-2012, 08:26 PM
Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Fraser Mitchell
Just posted a reply, then suddenly remembered the X350 maintenance forum I attended last year and issues with the V8 engines (the technician also covered my V6 and the diesels too).

On the supercharged V8s, there is a little $10 coolant hose lying in the engine 'V' hidden underneath the supercharger which can start to leak. The leakage evaporates off due to the heat in there, so is difficult to detect. Cheap part but labour intensive to fix, unfortunately.
I too had this issue. There is a part called the water distribution pipe, located under the throttle body or the supercharger, depending on if you have a s/c. About an hour ago, i changed the part out. I've had the issue for months and knew where it was too. I ordered the part from Terry's Jaguar Parts. Low cost of $67.73 + shipping. The part number is AJ97485. It its an extensive repair, but honestly, it is very achievable. I did it in my garage with minimal tools. It comes with a new thermostat and housing as well. This its a very common issue but easy too fix. The extensive part is that you have to remove quite a few components to get to the four bolts under the throttle. I hope someone finds this very useful. Cheers.

Old 10-13-2012, 08:46 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by usmc1211
There is a part called the water distribution pipe, located under the throttle body or the supercharger, depending on if you have a s/c.
where does this pipe distribute water to?

Old 10-13-2012, 12:28 PM
Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by kj217
where does this pipe distribute water to?
The upper radiator house connects to the front center, which goes through the thermostat then straight through to a opening on to of the block, under the throttle body. From the upper house connection, it also turns left and right, on the right (as you face the engine), the sensor is connected. On both the left and right branches, it also distributes coolant to both left and right banks of the engine, connecting to the top of the block, on either side of the larger diameter hole. I have photos, i post

Old 08-15-2013, 07:18 PM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I've recently starting getting the Engine Coolant Low message too, it shows up at startup and is gone within 30secs.

Is a leak the only way this could show up? Is JLM209723 the only acceptable fluid?

If there is a leak, how easy would it be for me to diagnose myself?

Old 08-15-2013, 07:54 PM
Received 120 Likes on 95 Posts

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but you probably have a leak somewhere. Usual places are the expansion tank - the nipple on the overflow hose; or the thermostat housing. I had both of these replaced withing 6 months of each other.

When the leaks are small the low fluid warning clears after the fluid expands.

You can use dexcool - the orange kind. In your owners manual and on the expansion tank cap is ways to use fluid that conforms to WSS-M97B44-D - the dexcool says it conforms to that so it should be fine. I use the pre-mixed Prestone they sell in Autozone.

Last edited by veffremov; 08-15-2013 at 08:08 PM.
Old 08-15-2013, 08:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 526 Likes on 371 Posts

I usually get the warning message every 8-12 months or so. I top off the tank and I'm good again for the next 8-12 months. So, I have a leak somewhere also, but I wouldn't fret over it.

Old 08-16-2013, 01:10 AM

Well I don't mind bad news as long as its manageable and not a huge PITA.

I have noticed a smell recently that might be antifreeze.

How feasible would it be for me to try locating and fixing the leak myself? I'm not very mechanical, but I can do some things...I recently replaced the lock assembly in the left rear door. If not, how much would this cost to fix?

Is there a specific part number for the dexcool? The orange containers don't have any details online, but this conforms to the spec:

Prestone/50/50 Dex-Cool antifreeze and coolant (AF850) | Antifreeze | AutoZone.com

Thanks a lot.

Old 08-16-2013, 03:32 PM

Bump because I'm going to Autozone today and would really like an clarification on the dexcool variant.

Old 08-16-2013, 06:21 PM
Received 120 Likes on 95 Posts

That Prestone should do, just check the label for WSS-M97B44-D. There is nothing stopping you from trying to locate the leak yourself, just be mentally prepared to have more than one. I think parts of the system just deteriorate after a few years and start to break one after the other. The good news is that they are not terribly expensive to replace.

I did change the expansion tank myself on a parking lot, but to be honest it's really messy - coolant leaks all over the place. Proper way is to drain the coolant beforehand & refill after.

Old 10-15-2013, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by usmc1211
I too had this issue. There is a part called the water distribution pipe, located under the throttle body or the supercharger, depending on if you have a s/c. About an hour ago, i changed the part out. I've had the issue for months and knew where it was too. I ordered the part from Terry's Jaguar Parts. Low cost of $67.73 + shipping. The part number is AJ97485. It its an extensive repair, but honestly, it is very achievable. I did it in my garage with minimal tools. It comes with a new thermostat and housing as well. This its a very common issue but easy too fix. The extensive part is that you have to remove quite a few components to get to the four bolts under the throttle. I hope someone finds this very useful. Cheers.
Hi... can you confirm the part number? I have this same problem and tried calling Terry's but they didn't recognize the part number and were too busy to work out exactly what it should have been. Thanks for your help!

Old 10-15-2013, 04:02 PM
Received 969 Likes on 642 Posts

Originally Posted by tofercali
Hi... can you confirm the part number? I have this same problem and tried calling Terry's but they didn't recognize the part number and were too busy to work out exactly what it should have been. Thanks for your help!
I think he typo'd the part number. I believe he replaced the water outlet pipe, which when ordering the assembly, comes with the thermostat also.

Try AJ89485 for the part number. That's for the normally aspirated engine.

Cheers,

Old 10-15-2013, 06:07 PM

Awesome... Thanks sir!

Old 10-15-2021, 06:38 PM
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Low engine coolant light

The low engine coolant light flashed today, but then went away. I had seen small puddles over the summer but thought those were from the a/c. Plan to check levels, but not sure which type of coolant to add. I've read that it should be a mix of distilled water and coolant. Is that true? If so, what's the ratio? Also, is there a specific type of coolant I should buy?

Thanks in advance for responses.

Old 10-15-2021, 08:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,755 Likes on 1,326 Posts

You should use OAT coolant in a 50/50 mix with distilled water. It can come in different colors so do not choose by color alone although it is commonly orange in color.

However you should find and fix the leak as a priority.

What color is the leaking fluid?

On the remote chance you have the wrong coolant in your system adding OAT coolant will cause a jel to form so make sure the coolant is already OAT. If its orange you should be fine.

If its green it may not be OAT.

Last edited by jackra_1; 10-15-2021 at 09:00 PM.

Quick Reply: Engine coolant low