XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

P2135 FIX; X350: Engine System Fault

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2018, 03:02 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default P2135 FIX; X350: Engine System Fault

P2135 FIX along with display of: Engine System Fault; DSC Not Available; & Park Brake Fault.

After long, analyzing and lots of reading everyone has stated that the Ole P2135 (in which motor goes into limp mode) is either a replacement of the Throttle position sensor or a full replacement of throttle body w TPS sensor. I am an old hard core race guy that always tries to figure gremlins out: so here is my take on this problem with our X350 supercharged motors.

Mine always seem to fail in the rain or after going through the car wash. This is my wife's car so I had to start driving it to figure this out.
Well, moisture is the culprit! On our X350's since the throttle body is at the rear of the motor facing up, so is the connector for the TPS sensor. It points straight up right under the wiper shield next to fire wall and near the seam of the hood's rubber insulator. This seal is not water tight and allows water to drip down on the 4 prong connector attached on top of the TPS sensor. I also read somewhere that at one time Jaguar had issued a TSB to add a water shield above the TPS connector but I could not get this verified with my parts guy at Jaguar. You do have to remove the aluminum air plenum that runs down the middle of the motor between the inter-coolers back to the throttle body. Below is my fix with a moisture shield that I designed and now after 3 weeks of rain hear in Houston and going through the car wash a couple of times ..... it is fixed!!!!

First .... get some liquid tape.
I applied this to the wires from the base of wire loom protector and to the top of the Denso connector. Even though the 4 wires have insulators on them the connector itself I noticed had small slots in the molding of the connector which would allow water to drip down into the TPS housing causing a resistance value change between the pins. I coated 3 times and allowed to sit for 4 hours between each application. Liquid Tape still allows for the wires to move and the connector to be flexible.

At this time I also suggest to spray all contacts with electrical contact cleaner and blow out with compressed air. Do this several times then coat all pins and connectors with dielectric grease. I even took some 2K grit sandpaper on a small tip screw driver and polished the pins down in the TPS sensor. This will get off any oxidation from previous moisture. Then Spray and dry one more time.

Second .... build some sort of rain shield. I used a sheet of 1/8 black rubber gasket material and cut it 14" wide X 10' deep. Punched two holes in it to go over the engine cover studs that stick up off inter-cooler and trimmed the corners off to fit the radius near the firewall. I glued the rubber down to the intake plenum with RTV, but once you put the engine cover over the studs, it should be enough to hold rain shield down so any water just runs off the sides or back to firewall. Nothing will drip down on the TPS sensor!

I don't post much on any forums, but knowledge is power and everyone hear helped me get to this point, so this is just my little contribution. I will try now to post my pics.

Liquid Tape

TPS on Throttle body

Liquid tape covering wires and connector. This is the top of connector where the slots are in the flat area of connector. I am a neat freak so I didn't let any run down the sides.

Intake back in but no rain shield yet.

Cut !/8" rubber gasket material.

Applied RTV glue to both pieces.

Clamped edges down for cover to fit better.

Final fit with cover on! You can now see the rain protector to back of firewall,

Wife has her car back Now! We just turned 60,000 miles this past weekend. It hasn't been easy. I have replaced (myself) all 4 air struts w Arnott Sports. All new brakes, and now P2135Fix!

Last edited by dwdooley; 10-24-2018 at 08:16 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Panthro (12-03-2018)
Old 10-24-2018, 03:11 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Pics

i don't know why pics????

Oh ..... they're up and showing now!

Last edited by dwdooley; 10-24-2018 at 08:14 PM.
Old 10-24-2018, 07:51 PM
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I see 10 photos including the car.

The following users liked this post:
dwdooley (10-24-2018)
Old 10-25-2018, 09:52 AM
Received 239 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by dwdooley
i don't know why pics????

Oh ..... they're up and showing now!
Good find and write up. Car looks great as well, excellent choice in color, I may say