XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Parking Brake Actuator Issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2017, 08:18 AM
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Parking Brake Actuator Issue

I've had a few EPB issues in my 4.2 X350, usually cured by a reset, although I did have an issue when a caliper follower stuck, but always cured, until now.
So I have Parkbrake Fault showing, and the brake symbols flashing. When I operate the brake lever, I don't hear the motor whirring at all. I've disconnected the parkbrake module, and wired directly to 12v. When I do this, I can hear the motor whirring, reverse the polarity, and it whirs the other way - however, when I energise the motor, I can't see the cables going in or out. The cables all appear to be ok, So the motor appears to be working, but could it be that the actuator isn't?
But if this was the case, wouldn't the motor work when the lever is pulled up or down too?

Old 10-24-2017, 04:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,424 Likes on 1,937 Posts

Originally Posted by jemp
I've had a few EPB issues in my 4.2 X350, usually cured by a reset, although I did have an issue when a caliper follower stuck, but always cured, until now.
So I have Parkbrake Fault showing, and the brake symbols flashing. When I operate the brake lever, I don't hear the motor whirring at all. I've disconnected the parkbrake module, and wired directly to 12v. When I do this, I can hear the motor whirring, reverse the polarity, and it whirs the other way - however, when I energise the motor, I can't see the cables going in or out. The cables all appear to be ok, So the motor appears to be working, but could it be that the actuator isn't?
But if this was the case, wouldn't the motor work when the lever is pulled up or down too?
Well, it should except the module may have something to prevent it if a fault is detected. AFAIK, the thing cannot be repaired, only replaced. However I believe it can be stripped down and lubed and checked-out, but anything broken inside I don't think any bits can be purchased via Jaguar spares. eBay might have something. Most shops just swap the things out so that there is a warranty.

Old 10-25-2017, 02:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

The module can detect too much current flowing and shuts down. Typical cause is bad motor or cables not freely moving. Age/dust/water etc don't help.

The module may well have codes but a cheap tool won't read them. OE-style one needed.