XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Jaguar ACM Audio Connectivity module ipod interface installation photos

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2011, 05:47 PM
Received 26 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by kmatwill
Just curious how difficult it was to install, where you installed it, and where you took power from.
Info is in the pdf file, but it was an easy install, especially now that you can learn from my photos. took about 3 hrs, of which an hour of that was installing satellite radio also, which gave me a few minor headaches. The ACM install though is easy and all cables come with the kit to install it and take power from the head unit. I shoved the unit itself up behind the glovebox, and the ipod,rca and usb connectors in the glovebox.

If you still do not have access to attachments, make a post in the newcomers section introducing yourself and asking for full access. The administators are usually very good about upgrading you to full access immediately.

Old 04-07-2011, 06:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,484 Likes on 907 Posts

Originally Posted by seamagineer
2008 and later xjs never got shipped with CD changers as standard, because Jag presumed everyone would fit the ACM (so why they did not do it themselves who knows?)
That is weird because they still appear to be listed as standard on UK Sovereign spec and higher XJ's.

Old 04-07-2011, 07:28 PM
Received 256 Likes on 144 Posts

If you have a 2008 or newer XJ I would say the ACM should work without any need for reprogramming. The programming is only for the head unit to recognise a CD changer, not an ACM in particular. 2008 and later xjs never got shipped with CD changers as standard, because Jag presumed everyone would fit the ACM (so why they did not do it themselves who knows?), so I presume they at least had the radios programmed to work with the ACM. My ACM worked straight away.
Prior to installing it, I spoke with my local jag dealer about the cost of reprogramming the radio for the ACM. They said they have never heard of any need for this to be done and said it should work straight away. I'd be inclined to think this is the case in all jags (x-type,s-type,xj that uses the same ACM), because I do not see any advantage for jaguar in having differnent programming for whether you have a CD changer fitted or not.

Seama-

What are your thoughts on 'native' changer function on a 2005 XJ8L with a 44000+ VIN?

Any chance the (ACM) changer would function without a trip to reprogramming at dealer???

Thanks-
mag

Old 04-08-2011, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by magmedia
Seama-

What are your thoughts on 'native' changer function on a 2005 XJ8L with a 44000+ VIN?

Any chance the (ACM) changer would function without a trip to reprogramming at dealer???

Thanks-
mag
I would expect it to work but that is only my gut feel. Try calling your jag dealer and ask them. See if you can talk to the shop foreman as opposed to the front man!

The following users liked this post:
magmedia (04-08-2011)
Old 04-08-2011, 06:31 PM
Received 256 Likes on 144 Posts

Thanks seama, I will give them a call...

Old 04-09-2011, 03:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,241 Likes on 1,410 Posts

Hey Jahummer, did you ever try the update?
going to do it this weekend. will post results

Old 04-09-2011, 04:36 PM
Veteran Member

okay update done. only took about 30 seconds so I was concerned, but it worked and says 2.1 now.

Only tried the iPhone 4 and now I can play Pandora through the head unit, before update all I could do is play stored music through the iPod app.

Have not tried the hard drive yet.

Old 04-23-2011, 09:36 PM
Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts
Default ACM and Sirius Between the Seats

Had my dealer install ACM and Sirius before I bought the car. At my request they put both between the seats under the armrest rather than the glovebox. Figured it's an easier reach while driving than attempting to reach into the glovebox. Sirius radio also came with a tiny remote control, which the kids love to use from the back seat.

ACM even came with a proper handbook from Jaguar, like all the other owners manuals stuffed into the booklet in the glovebox.

My iPod diplays the Jaguar logo when connected. It makes it impossible to control the iPod. Maybe I need to upgrade the nav to 2.1? Has anyone been able to view iPod screen and use trackwheel when connected to ACM? By the way the sound quality is excellent, crisp and no distortion.

Sirius connects through FM, it hijacks 88.1, and sound quality is so-so. My wife's MB came with Sirius integrated with the sound system from the factory and sound quality is much better, though it's not CD quality sound, but I'll sacrifice sound for commercial-free radio.

Happy to attach a photo of my ACM install but I don't believe I have the right permission level in the forum.

Old 04-24-2011, 01:19 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

seamagineer: you rock! thank you so much for your work and sharing your results. pictures are terrific help!

jahummer: so you upgraded and now can play pandora through the head unit from your iphone4? how do you control it?

GregW: your dealer did the install for you, so i assume he had the ACM "in stock"...mine says it's not available any more....but you said it totally locks you out of your ipod?

thanks in advance, wm

Old 04-24-2011, 09:36 AM
Veteran Member

With the new firmware, you will not be locked out and Pandora is controlled through the iPhone touch screen.

Old 04-24-2011, 11:29 AM

jadedragon1800 - The Jaguar dealer I purchased the car from in March 2011 ordered the ACM, it took him 24-48 hours to receive it. One of the glossy literature cards he tossed into to the stack of owners manuals indicates it's a "Jaguar X-Type/S-Type" ACM.

It does lock me out of the iPod only when physically connected to the ACM. I can freely disconnect the iPod to regain functionality, select another artist, album, podcast, etc., then reconnect and it plays through the car's sound system. The sound is terrific.

ACM also comes with two AUX inputs. I attempted to connect the iPod through AUX (jacking out of the iPod's headphone jack) in an attempt to maintain iPod functionality but I can barely hear the music when connected through AUX. It's very faint.

jahummer - You said I can use the iPod's screen with new firmware. I noticed I have version 1.09 when connecting the iPod. The upgrade is done via USB, correct? Does it change screens on the car's nav system in any way? Others have mentioned a new color scheme, just wondered if I'm in for any irreversible changes to the GUI if I upgrade?

Old 04-24-2011, 05:00 PM
Veteran Member

The color change you mention has nothing to do with the ACM. The 2010 NAV disc has a firmware update for the head unit that changed the background color of the home screen and the logo a well as some minor function changes.

The ACM DB2 update is indeed through the USB using a thumb drive.

Download the DB2 version here:

http://support.dension.com/support-c...root=12&id=110

The update is not from/for Jaguar, rather for the Gateway 500 main processor which is also used in other vehicles from Mercedes, BMW, etc. The Audio screen will change slightly with changed functionality of the CD 1-4 buttons and button 6. I have an old iPod, but I have not used it in a while, but I can tell you with the iPhone 4 as well as the iPod touch you can now use the touch screen as well as any music apps, which I was unable to before the update.

This may answer your question with your iPod:
1. Gateway UI (Controls via head unit)
Select disc 6, track 3 and then press and hold FF button for approx. 2-3 seconds.

2. iPod UI mode: (Controls via iPod's touchwheel)
Select disc 6, track 2 and then press and hold FF button for approx. 2-3 seconds.

Last edited by jahummer; 04-24-2011 at 05:02 PM.
Old 04-27-2011, 09:14 PM

GregW and jahummer, so I called my jag dealer to inquire about the ACM for my 2004 XJ, telling the parts guy that I am aware that there is no ACM for the XJ but that it was identical to that from the x/s type, and how much would it be. First he asked me where I was told it was identical to the one foe the XJ. I told him a friend of mine got it at a dealership in conn. And that he had the literature to s/x type with the manual. I was told that he would have the manager check it out be quad there was no refund on ordered parts. I said ok. Then this morning I got a call, from the parts manager that there was an ACM for the XJ, and that it was $485, and that it didn't include labour. So I get transferred to service for quote for install, and I was told $500! So, Greg, what was your final bill? I read on threads that it runs around $380 or so. Is this what you guys have been paying for the ACM? Methinks I'm getting fleeced!

Old 04-28-2011, 01:47 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jadedragon1800
Then this morning I got a call, from the parts manager that there was an ACM for the XJ, and that it was $485, and that it didn't include labour. So I get transferred to service for quote for install, and I was told $500! So, Greg, what was your final bill? I read on threads that it runs around $380 or so. Is this what you guys have been paying for the ACM? Methinks I'm getting fleeced!
Considering how rare they are, what is it worth to you?

No that this is relevant, but I had mine installed about 3 years ago by the dealer. Parts and labor came to only around $500-$600 total.

Old 04-28-2011, 03:50 PM

Jahummer, if you paid $500 or so total, i might be inclined to save my pennies...but for close to a grand just so I can listen to pandora or my iPod, and still have to learn how to use it's interface as opposed to the more intuitive iPod system....think I'll pass and just plop CDs in the changer! I think I'll take the money and invest in an air spring to conventional spring and shock conversion....or upgrade the stock speakers! Lol!

Old 04-28-2011, 07:49 PM

So I get transferred to service for quote for install, and I was told $500! So, Greg, what was your final bill? I read on threads that it runs around $380 or so. Is this what you guys have been paying for the ACM? Methinks I'm getting fleeced!
I just looked through my notes. The dealer I bought my car from quoted me $656 for the ACM including installation. This was before I bought the car, when I was still shopping. I also added Satellite and had to pay for shipping (I found my car out of state) and during final negotiations we ended up talking "out the door" pricing including all fees and accessories so I'm not sure how much wiggle room there is with a straight ACM purchase plus install.

I've been unplugging the iPod from the ACM to regain functionality when I need to change the artist or whatever without problem. The sound quality is great, on par with CDs.

Between CD changer, in-dash CD, FM/AM, satellite, and iPod, I have a ton of audio options in my car, but I knew if I *didn't* get the ACM I'd always feel I was missing out on something. That's just how my brain messes with me, what can I say. But I'm happy I did it, I've been using it a lot, especially when I'm really in the mood for a particular artist or album.

Old 04-29-2011, 11:04 AM

GregW, think i'll call the jag dealer in Houston (Momentum Jaguar) for a comparison ( here in San Antonio there's only one) and if it is about the same I'll just pass...there are other toys I want to get, and usually my commute is short enough for NPR only. It's the longer drives I was thinking of, but then my better half "decides" what I listen to anyway! Lol!
Thanks for the info though! Wm

Old 05-01-2011, 11:52 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by GregW
jahummer - You said I can use the iPod's screen with new firmware. I noticed I have version 1.09 when connecting the iPod. The upgrade is done via USB, correct? Does it change screens on the car's nav system in any way? Others have mentioned a new color scheme, just wondered if I'm in for any irreversible changes to the GUI if I upgrade?
Okay tried the classic ipod and it no longer displays the Jaguar leaper logo, just the main ipod screen and you can now control the ipod either from the ipod or from the head unit.

Old 05-01-2011, 11:53 PM
Veteran Member

GregW, think i'll call the jag dealer in Houston (Momentum Jaguar) for a comparison ( here in San Antonio there's only one) and if it is about the same I'll just pass...there are other toys I want to get, and usually my commute is short enough for NPR only. It's the longer drives I was thinking of, but then my better half "decides" what I listen to anyway! Lol!
Thanks for the info though! Wm
Try this perhaps:

https://www.jaguarparts.com/catalog/...oducts_id=1129

Old 05-03-2011, 04:19 PM

If you purchase an ACM try to get one with the updated Fiber optic kit. There are several versions, the older ones being cheaper. I think the last two versions upgraded the fiber optic kit and then the firmware. The firmware is no big deal since you can update that to the much better later version yourself as described above. However I presume the new fiber optic kit fixed alot of issues that the ACM was having (locking up the nav etc) so I would definately get that. The upgraded fiber optic kit was also apparently available as a separte kit to upgrade older ACMs. The initial pdf in this thread should give you all the links and info you need.

Quick Reply: Jaguar ACM Audio Connectivity module ipod interface installation photos