XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Leak in the boot X350

Old 08-15-2012, 07:24 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leak in the boot X350

Hi there,

I've got an incredibly irritating leak on my 2006 XJ, and am really hoping someone can help me. I have posted this on the UK forum but thus far to no avail. All attempts have failed.

So...here is the story so far:

Discovered there was rain water in the boot floor - the floor carpet was soaking wet, the battery and air compressor were soaked and there was about a litre of water sat in the wheel well.

Dried it all out and started the painful process of trying to find out where it was coming from. Long story short, the leak is actually not the boot itself, but that is the lowest point where the water is ending up. It is coming from above the right hand side rear wheel arch! So, using a hosepipe I have fully tested the boot and it is completely water tight. When I pour the hosepipe over the rear window, that's when the leak starts. Further testing shows that if I concentrate the hose on where the window meets the door, no leaks occur. But, if the water is concentrated on the trim area that goes round the door, that is when it leaks. I have pulled the trim off to see if there is a huge hole behind it but there is nothing! So, what am I missing guys? How on earth is water penetrating the body of the car and leaking through and into the boot.

Any help appreciated, it's driving me absolutely crazy!!!

Old 08-15-2012, 09:41 PM
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

what's a hosepipe?

Old 08-16-2012, 03:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 737 Likes on 621 Posts

Real-does your jag have a sunroof?

Old 08-16-2012, 03:28 AM

Maybe lost in translation? It's a water pipe in the garden for watering plants, or more importantly, washing the car

Old 08-16-2012, 06:34 AM

No sunroof on mine.

Old 08-16-2012, 12:17 PM
guy
Veteran Member
Received 1,005 Likes on 713 Posts

I seem to recall there was a TSB on this topic... Perhaps someone else has the details. I'm afraid I don't.

Old 08-16-2012, 05:10 PM

I found a link to something that perhaps is what you are referring to and I explored all the options but to no avail. They included a leaking light cluster, leaking boot rubber and leaking through the bolts of the boot lid. I looked into each of these and it's definitely not those, it's for sure coming from the upper right side of the boot space, from a little metal ledge above the wheel arch.

This picture shows the exact point of entry into the boot, it's a case of figuring out how the water is penetrating the body of the car to get here! Such a frustrating problem.

Old 08-16-2012, 07:55 PM
Veteran Member
Default leak

Ok for my next suggestion:

It is surprising how much water will get through the tinyest of holes and I think that you said at an earlier point that you have checked the bolts on the boot hinges and that they were tight but does this mean that they are watertight?

Is it possible that this is the source of the leak?

Old 08-17-2012, 03:18 AM

I have checked and test that by standing with my water hose and pouring it down the rear window and into the boot gaps and not a tiny bit of leaking as a result so am happy that this is not the culprit. Thanks for the suggestion though

Old 08-17-2012, 10:39 AM
guy
Veteran Member

what an odd location for a leak... OK, I'll bite. Is there a hole in the rear window gasket? Time to start pouring that water all around the rear window? Have you been rear ended? Is there a failed seam in the back end of your car?

Old 08-17-2012, 11:03 AM

Odd location indeed, my friend. Can't agree more!!!

Rear Window gasket is perfect, no issues there.

Poured water all over the rear window and there is no issue whatsoever.

Have I been rear ended? I cannot be sure, certainly not during my ownership but that's only a few months. There is no obvious sign of rear end damage/repair.

Failed seam? Not that I can see, where specifically would I be looking?

Old 08-17-2012, 07:20 PM
Veteran Member

On that subject there is a seam which runs left to right across the rear of the car but only an inch or two above the floor of the wheel well.

I had water leaking there when I was a bit over enthusiastic with a hose, but in this case you have water coming down from above and water doesn't usually go uphill!

Real what about using one of these?

Fibre Optic Inspection Scope | eBay

""But, if the water is concentrated on the trim area that goes round the door, that is when it leaks""

Please post picture of area if possible

Last edited by meirion1; 08-17-2012 at 07:31 PM.
Old 08-20-2012, 11:37 AM
Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

I recommend sealing this hole with some clear rtv silicone.The dealership uses this when a recall was issued on the 2004 x350 seem near the rear amp.The amp was shorted do to water damamge from the bonnet panel leak.This stuff works great.Good luck.

Old 08-20-2012, 01:29 PM
guy
Veteran Member

I think I've found it!
There is a seam which can be viewed once the lid to the boot is raised. it is slightly forward of the mount point for the hinge, on both sides of the car, in the 'drain channel'. It was interesting to see that there was a 2mm gap between the lower and upper plates! And the opening of this seam is facing the wrong direction!! It faces forward, counter to the draining direction! Imagine if water froze in there.
I will be sealing this gap myself. If I can manage it, I will take pictures, today as well..

Old 08-20-2012, 01:52 PM
guy
Veteran Member

Leak points!

Attached Thumbnails Leak in the boot X350-img_0290.jpg   Leak in the boot X350-img_0291.jpg   Leak in the boot X350-img_0292.jpg   Leak in the boot X350-img_0293.jpg  
Old 08-20-2012, 04:32 PM

mr merion - that scope thing looks like a brilliant idea! thanks for the link, if i get desperate i will investigate that.

912guy - i have used some sealant tape (i had some in the garage, it's the same type of thing as sealant but used in bathrooms around the base of a sink or toilet where it meets the floor). i've been enjoying the rare sunshine in england so have not fully tested the results but an immediate hosing didn't lead to a link.

guy - thanks very much for taking the time to take those photos. i had already spotted that issue on mine and have already sealed it up. it was actually one of the first things i spotted when i was first investigating the leak, so got it sorted immediately. unfortunately, this means that it is not the issue.

i will update this post once it's rained a bit (not normally a long wait over here!) or i get time to get out with the water hose again but i'm going to denmark for a few days so will have to wait now.

cheers everyone, this seems like a real good site with good active helpful members

Old 08-28-2012, 04:33 AM

Update: My 'fix' has not fixed the issue...

But...I have done further testing and absolutely categorically, without the doubt, the issue is down the rear side window, in the door shut area.

I know this, as I directed water ONLY at the rear side window, aiming it direct at the little window trim that sits above the side windows (I assume to catch the water and direct it away). I concentrated on the extreme rear of the car, and very soon there was water trickling in and appearing in the boot. So, I now know that's where my issue is. So I think I need to remove all trim in the door shut and the window trim, all rubber covers and seal the entire area up with some sort of silicone sealant, then put the trim back over the top.

I will not be beaten by this stupid problem!!!

Old 08-28-2012, 08:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,423 Likes on 1,936 Posts

Hi Rael

Could you post up a pic of the location, plus if poss a little arrow to show where the leak is located. I'll then have a look at my car to see what's what.

Old 08-28-2012, 03:21 PM

Hi Fraser,

Yes, will do. Seen this a little late tonight so will take one tomorrow and post it up. You will see my attempt at sorting the problem, in the shape of some sealant tape underneath the existing trim! But I will label it up as good as my limited IT skills will allow!

Old 09-05-2012, 05:01 PM

Sorry never got round to taking any pics, I was too busy squirting a ton of silicone sealant/adhesive under the trim and all round where the holes are in the door shut.

Have to leave it to set for 72 hours so will test it tomorrow and report back. Typically, and I must not complain, the UK has great weather forecast for the next week so I shall have to make my own rain!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Leak in the boot X350