XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Mic not working

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2013, 04:16 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Mic not working

Erm, I've never used the bluetooth setup in the car, and it came with it stock.

So I finally paired my phone yesterday.

I can make a phone call and I hear the other person on the speakers loud and clear but they cannot hear me whatsoever? The mic appears dead.

Anyone heard of anything like this and is there a fix?

Old 09-23-2013, 11:15 AM

Anyone any idea?

Old 09-24-2013, 01:00 AM
Received 214 Likes on 133 Posts

The mic is in the center console with the sun roof controls. Does everything there work fine? The mic in the for console plus into an amplifier in the roof console. The console pulls down so you can look and see that the mice is there and plugged in.. Cannot help much more sorry.

I use the in car phone all the time and have one had the mic muted. Never knew why, but turning off and on again and it was fine. I use a nexus 4 and wife uses iPhone and both work fine.

Old 09-26-2013, 12:03 AM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Bluetooth/ mic setup

Check out page 10-12 for mic and the Bluetooth setup you must have the ext mic for your unit to work. I installed phone, mic and jag voice in my XJ, that how I knew about the stock mic upgrade.

Good luck

Attached Files
Old 04-02-2014, 04:45 AM

Got this checked out at a Jag garage.

I was told my roof console is faulty, which is true because the reading lights don't work and that the microphone is also affected by this.

I'm told I need a completely new roof console to rectify this.

Is there any way around this like changing parts in the roof console?

This is for a 2006 XJ Sovereign X350 2.8 Diesel

Old 04-02-2014, 12:30 PM
Received 134 Likes on 82 Posts

Take a look on eBay UK & US, there should be a replacement. The plastic bezel can be swapped, if you can't find the right colour.

Old 04-14-2014, 04:31 AM

Found a replacement looks identical but no part number. Its a 2004 mine is a 2006, told by the garage that there are many roof consoles you need the one specific to your car depending on microphone, sensors, interior alarm, sun roof (apparently?) etc. Need to compare them.

Would anyone be able to tell me how I can get the roof console off without damaging anything?

Last edited by Acebars; 04-14-2014 at 04:37 AM.
Old 04-15-2014, 04:22 PM

To remove the existing console, open the sunglasses holder and remove screw in top, then pull down at the front of the console (closest to mirror) and work your way backwards. Watch your fingers on the sharp edges!

Old 04-16-2014, 04:07 AM

Oops forgot to update that I found the manual on this site and managed to do it! Thanks

Old 04-16-2014, 05:27 AM

Ok right, so now I have two problems.

First one is the replacement bezel colour is different.

More importantly the reading lights are now fixed with the new console but the trouble is the microphone is still not working??? Bluetooth connects fine etc. but the other person can't hear me on the other side.

Anyone have any idea what it could be?

The car was bought new from Strastone Jag in Manchester and had a host of problems after I bought it, probably the worst place I could have bought a Jag given their crooked & horrific service and reputation (which I was unaware of at the time), perhaps there are connectors that have not been connected properly around the car other than the roof console??

Last edited by Acebars; 04-18-2014 at 05:11 AM.
Old 04-18-2014, 05:12 AM

Really? No one has any idea of how to help? This is for a UK car Sovereign so the US / Zone 2 diagrams I have found so far don't help.

Take a look on eBay UK & US, there should be a replacement. The plastic bezel can be swapped, if you can't find the right colour.
I have a replacement but I cannot see how I can swap the bezel without damaging welded plastic.

Last edited by Acebars; 04-18-2014 at 05:43 AM.
Old 04-19-2014, 04:41 AM

You need to carefully drill out the surface weld, only go as deep as you need to, then re-assemble with old computer self tapping screws.

Old 04-22-2014, 03:31 AM

Originally Posted by alecescolme
You need to carefully drill out the surface weld, only go as deep as you need to, then re-assemble with old computer self tapping screws.
Eek would rather not have to mess around with such things, may give it a crack as a last resort.

So back to the mic problem? Does really no one have any idea where I can start to look at this problem?

Would the whole telephone, BT system be in the workshop manual? If so does anyone have a copy of this or do I have to buy it?

Old 04-22-2014, 01:04 PM
Received 120 Likes on 95 Posts

There is no magic about the microphone. Either your microphone is bad or your cables or both. To check the cable get a copy of JTIS (available at this site) and look at the electrical diagrams. It would tell you where the cables should go in the trunk - they go to the voice connector first then to the PSE connector. Just check with an ohm meter it should be a straight connection from the console. If your cables are fine, replacing the microphone seems like a logical next step.

Old 04-23-2014, 03:46 AM

Originally Posted by veffremov
There is no magic about the microphone. Either your microphone is bad or your cables or both. To check the cable get a copy of JTIS (available at this site) and look at the electrical diagrams. It would tell you where the cables should go in the trunk - they go to the voice connector first then to the PSE connector. Just check with an ohm meter it should be a straight connection from the console. If your cables are fine, replacing the microphone seems like a logical next step.
I managed to get a copy of a Jag electrical manual for my model, I do not believe it could possibly be the microphone, microphones do not break, they are like speakers they do not break (even if you leave them underwater for a year and even if blown from abuse still work!), as for cables they all look fine, will check with a volt/ohm meter.

There is a mute earth in the electrical diagrams, I have a sneaking suspicion this could be the problem.

Old 04-23-2014, 06:03 PM
Received 120 Likes on 95 Posts

AFAIK the "telephone/mute" signal silences your radio, not the microphone.

Old 04-23-2014, 08:10 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The only thing I could add, is to make sure your cellphone isn't the culprit by it somehow going to mute.

Old 04-24-2014, 04:26 AM

Ok thank you all, will get to it and will report back!

Old 04-30-2014, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by alecescolme
I want to attempt this tomorrow could you elaborate a bit more? What did you do to drill out the surface weld? How big a drill etc.

I really don't want to bugger this up.

Is it the blue square or red square welds I have marked on the photos below to drill out? What sort of computer self taping screws did you use?

Attached Thumbnails Mic not working-img_4545.jpg   Mic not working-img_4545a.jpg  
Old 05-01-2014, 04:26 AM

To remove the welds, take a large diameter drill bit, say 12mm and turn it by hand, so that the blob on the surface is removed and use a sharp craft knife to make it flush with the surrounding material. With luck you should have broken the weld, may not do immediately, just keep taking small amounts off.

To completely change the bezel colour, you will need to do both the circled blue and red welds.

The screws are just some old one I had, they need to be just enough to bite the hole down the center of the spigot and have a large head, or use a washer.

Quick Reply: Mic not working