XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Suspension in hard mode, how to tell?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2013, 11:39 PM
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Suspension in hard mode, how to tell?

2006 xjr. I can feel everything in or on the road. The other day I was riding in the passenger seat (a rare occasion) and was surprised how harsh the ride was.

I know I have the sport suspension and I also know how the car feels when I had a suspension fault and the car rode like it had NO shocks. Is that the hard setting or is that like "no setting". I have no reference point so how can I tell if my shocks are riding normal or hard?

I had the ride height sensors re-calibrated after I installed the front struts so I guess if there were any codes they were cleared. But I did have a suspension fault after that. Would that fault cause a hard mode setting and would that setting ever go away without a dealer clearing it?

Is there a way to determine what setting the suspension is at (without a trip to the dealer)?

Thanks

Old 03-21-2013, 07:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 324 Likes on 276 Posts

As far as I know, only the dealer computer can set the air suspension settings.

Old 03-21-2013, 01:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,430 Likes on 1,940 Posts

AFAIK, it is only the shock that can switch between Hard and Soft modes, the spring rate remains the same.

Old 03-21-2013, 05:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 739 Likes on 622 Posts

As far as I can gather the two wires to the top of each strut connect to a solenoid inside the strut

This solenoid is part of the CATS system and I assume this is what you are switching when you select sport mode.

If you have had an air suspension fault you might try searching for codes,especially CATS codes and deleting them.

If Brutal comes along maybe he can enlighten us on this.

Old 03-21-2013, 08:59 PM

Thanks for the replies guys. To clarify, I don't have a selectable suspension. The R comes with a sport suspension which is harsher than the standard XJ. But I think there still may be a hard and normal mode. I'm wondering if there is some why to tell if mine has been set to hard via a suspension fault. If I unplug the connectors on the air struts will this put the suspension in hard mode? If it does then I can tell by feel.

Is it true that once the suspension is set to hard mode by having a suspension fault that it stays in hard mode until the code is cleared or will it revert back to normal mode once the fault is gone? I may be in normal mode for all I know but I would like to know (without paying $125 to the dealer).

Thanks again

Old 03-22-2013, 08:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,430 Likes on 1,940 Posts

There is nothing in my Techical Notes of 2003 concerning a hard and soft setting for the air springs, only the shocks via the CATS system. I have a Sport which has same springs as you, and do find the ride a bit hard at times, but no faults come up.

The Notes state that if a malfunction is found in the adaptive damping or the air suspension, the system defaults to 'Hard' setting for the shocks, (dampers), however, it doesn't state what happens if the fault message disappears, as does happen when the compressor is on the way out and warmer weather comes along.

YOu are correct the suspension is not selectable, as CATS is automatic, but you can select Sport mode for the transmission.

Old 03-22-2013, 09:26 AM

Thanks. I misread your post about the sport mode, sorry. I guess my terminology is wrong for springs, struts and shocks. Prior to replacing the front units, which were leaking in cold weather, I got constant faults and the nose of the car was quite low. When driving in this condition the ride was EXTREMELY harsh as if there was no cushioning at all. Once the suspension warmed up and started working the ride got much better but still pretty stiff.

This happened once when I was going to the dealer. When I got there he asked me to restart the car and the suspension fault cleared. Then he had the car taken inside to "clear the code". This is one reason I'm wondering if the setting remains after the suspension recovers.

I was at the dealers yesterday for another issue and didn't think to ask them (probably subconsciously thinking it would cost me). But when I go back I will.

Cheers

Old 03-25-2013, 10:41 AM
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

When mine fails in the cold and runs hard or low, it goes back to normal/soft automatically when the problem goes away (ie the weather gets warmer). I do not have to clear any codes or reset the suspension.

The following users liked this post:
raschwar (03-25-2013)
Old 03-25-2013, 12:06 PM

Thanks Ritchie. Mine are probably operating correctly then. I guess hard is when they are deflated or with a fault and I feel like I'm riding without any suspension and "soft" is when they are inflated. So an R's "soft" is just tight, as it should be.