XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Strange failure mechanism (ASL/ACC)

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2012, 09:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 535 Likes on 337 Posts
Default Strange failure mechanism (ASL/ACC)

So, the XJS is in the workshop (as usual.... transmission out to fix lots of leaks) so the '06 Portfolio gets to park in the middle of the 2 car garage and stretch out its legs/doors for while......

Parking in the middle of the garage means I go tight up against my running machine (tight up means 4 inches away, front park sensors on full continuous tone)

When I start up in the morning and drive out onto the freeway and try either the ASL or the ACC they don't work. "Don't work" means I get "ASL not available" when I press the ASL button on the dash, and the cruise just doesn't set, although I get no error messages.

When I stop and restart the car (when it's out in the open, nothing in front of it), everything is then ok and it doesn't go wrong until it's been left overnight up against my running machine. I did some experimenting and if I park in the garage where I normally park (which means washer and dryer is about 2 feet away from the front of the car) everything is ok with ASL and ACC.

I am assuming when the car starts while tight up against the running machine, the radar doesn't initialize correctly, although it's strange I don't get any error message at the time...... I can work around this (by parking where I normally park and/or moving my running machine) but I thought I'd throw it out there in case anyone else has seen this and solved it a different way, or in case someone is suffering similar issues but haven't been able to correlate it to whats infront on the car when you start it up (The behaviour is 100% repeatable for me)

Last edited by Sarc; 03-21-2012 at 09:03 PM.
Old 03-27-2012, 06:08 PM
Veteran Member
Default Solved

So, just an update in case anyone comes across this thread in future...... After further troubleshooting, I concluded that the errors were not correlated perfectly to where the car sat in the garage, rather they correlated to whether the car had been sitting for a while or not. If it sat overnight, no matter how I parked it, I got the errors first time I started it. (Clue 1)

Last weekend after doing a few short stop-start runs I got a weird "Phone is OFF" error on the central screen. Although there was a button on the screen to turn the phone back on (I'd never seen this screen before) The phone wouldn't come back on. (Clue 2)

After a few more short run stop-start runs I got "Communication failure - contact dealer" on the central screen. At the same time my rear entertainment system went into "standby" mode and wouldn't switch on again. (Clue 3)

I disconnected the battery for a while and then at least I got the phone and media system back up and running, but I was still getting the ASL not available and no cruise first thing in the morning.

While playing with the battery, I noticed it was a Jaguar branded battery (or at least it had a Jaguar part number on it) and everything was pretty tight and looked original (6 years from a battery ? maybe....)

So I took a chance and replaced the battery with an Interstate MTP 93 as recommended on here, and guess what....... everything fixed itself, including "ASL not available" in the morning. I was pretty surprised as the existing battery was starting the car with no problems, even after sitting in the airport car park for 2 weeks, but I guess it had enough amps, but not enough Volts.

Old 03-27-2012, 07:39 PM
XJL
Received 141 Likes on 109 Posts

Where did you buy the battery and how much did you pay?

Old 03-27-2012, 08:07 PM
Veteran Member

I got the battery from a local Wheel Works shop.... they stock Interstate batteries

Cost was around $160.

Old 03-27-2012, 11:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,241 Likes on 1,410 Posts

Yet again a bad battery was the culprit! Thank you for posting and sharing and updating!