XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Sunroof shade Interior trim removal.

Old 09-18-2013, 10:12 AM
Received 224 Likes on 125 Posts
Default Sunroof shade Interior trim removal.

The internal sunroof cover lining is hanging down and after checking JTIS i cannot see any way of removing it to refit the fabric properly without removing the whole interior headlining.

Is there a way to remove this piece of trim without removing everything, maybe through the actual open sunroof?

Attached Thumbnails Sunroof shade Interior trim removal.-jagsunroof3.jpg   Sunroof shade Interior trim removal.-jagsunroof4.jpg  

Last edited by trosty; 09-18-2013 at 05:32 PM.
Old 09-18-2013, 07:56 PM
Received 212 Likes on 132 Posts

Funn! I came here to ask a similar question.
I have just pulled out my headliner to recover and am looking to see how to pull the sunroof cover too. It looks like I have to lower the whole sunroof assembly.

Old headliner came out pasenger door without to much trouble. Just now nee dto practice curving material to stick.

Old 09-18-2013, 11:46 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Same thing happened to my 2005 XJ8L, what I did was pull the falling fabric up to the handle. cleaned the surface of the shade. sprayed the 3M 77 Super Multipurpose Adhesive Aerosol and used a putty knife to insert the edge back to the headliner. I don't think it was best solution but at least it won't fall down to my head anymore. Just my two cents.

The following users liked this post:
trosty (09-19-2013)
Old 09-19-2013, 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by dsetter
Funn! I came here to ask a similar question.
I have just pulled out my headliner to recover and am looking to see how to pull the sunroof cover too. It looks like I have to lower the whole sunroof assembly.

Old headliner came out pasenger door without to much trouble. Just now nee dto practice curving material to stick.
So is the sunroof cover attached to the sunroof assembly and is completely independent of the headliner?

If so, it maybe possible to feed it out via the sunroof, ala x308 model I believe? I will have to look into it today.

Last edited by trosty; 09-19-2013 at 08:11 AM.
Old 09-19-2013, 11:33 AM
Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

I don't believe you would be able to feed the sunroof cover out through the sunroof, as the cover is longer and wider than the roof opening after factoring in the sunroof gutters. I am pretty sure you will have to drop the headliner as part of the job to remove the sunroof cover. There was a thread in the last few months on this forum with respect to the sunroof that you should try to locate. I seem to recall the OP in that thread saying there are some fiddly little metal clips that are easily lost holding the sunroof cover in place that you need to watch out for.

I'm not far behind you guys, as the headliner on my 04 XJ has begun to sag too. The sunroof cover seems fine, as I always leave it open, but it might as well be recovered at the same time. I'd take it to an independent upholstery place to take out and redo, or even try to take it out and put it back in myself, but I'm afraid of damaging some of the many wires that are in the roof. I might just have the dealer handle it so it's their problem to make sure everything works again afterwards.

Old 09-19-2013, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by rhankey
I don't believe you would be able to feed the sunroof cover out through the sunroof, as the cover is longer and wider than the roof opening after factoring in the sunroof gutters. I am pretty sure you will have to drop the headliner as part of the job to remove the sunroof cover. There was a thread in the last few months on this forum with respect to the sunroof that you should try to locate. I seem to recall the OP in that thread saying there are some fiddly little metal clips that are easily lost holding the sunroof cover in place that you need to watch out for.

I'm not far behind you guys, as the headliner on my 04 XJ has begun to sag too. The sunroof cover seems fine, as I always leave it open, but it might as well be recovered at the same time. I'd take it to an independent upholstery place to take out and redo, or even try to take it out and put it back in myself, but I'm afraid of damaging some of the many wires that are in the roof. I might just have the dealer handle it so it's their problem to make sure everything works again afterwards
I do believe I read that one, and its for an X308 model. I am sure they are different, with the cover coming in two parts.

Whoosh, thats going to cost an arm and a leg to get done at the dealer for sure. There is a good description in JTS21 for removing the headliner in a X350, but the first job to be done is removing the rear window... Not something I would be happy to do. Is this correct or can the headliner be removed without removing the rear window?

Old 09-19-2013, 12:42 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I had my headliner replaced at an auto shop that my Jag repair shop suggested. They did not take my rear window out, they took the headliner out the rear door. There are sensors in the headliner that need to be carefully handled. Also, the headliner must be removed or dropped while in the car to get to the sun shade. My shop did the job for $400 with a warranty that covers me as long as I own the car.

Old 09-19-2013, 11:29 PM
Received 60 Likes on 41 Posts

What are the odds that I came into this thread for the same problem at this same time frame as everyone else?

Mine looks like the first set of picture posted. Maybe it's the time of the year that we all hit the Jaguar lottery.

Old 09-20-2013, 11:34 AM
Received 212 Likes on 132 Posts

I found I needed to pull the headlining out to remove the sunroof slide. You also need to tilt the sun roof open and remove the two torx screw's and the bar there so that the slide can come back and out.
There is a bunch of wiring on the liner for sensors and lights and the wires are all glued in place. There are wiring connectors on all 4 pillars that need to be removed.
I did remove the whole sunn roof assembly to pull the slide out. Only 9 bolts and it can come out any door carefully.

The sun roof slide handle is plastic welded in place after it is covered so will need a new weld. I use a soldering iron and melt plastic again to form a weld.

Now off to spray contact. Will get photos as I wrap it back up. Let me know if you need to see any while it is disemboweled.

The following users liked this post:
trosty (09-20-2013)
Old 09-20-2013, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by dsetter
I found I needed to pull the headlining out to remove the sunroof slide. You also need to tilt the sun roof open and remove the two torx screw's and the bar there so that the slide can come back and out.
There is a bunch of wiring on the liner for sensors and lights and the wires are all glued in place. There are wiring connectors on all 4 pillars that need to be removed.
I did remove the whole sunn roof assembly to pull the slide out. Only 9 bolts and it can come out any door carefully.

The sun roof slide handle is plastic welded in place after it is covered so will need a new weld. I use a soldering iron and melt plastic again to form a weld.

Now off to spray contact. Will get photos as I wrap it back up. Let me know if you need to see any while it is disemboweled.
Thanks for the information, did you come across the GPS antenna wiring or small black gps receiver whilst ripping out the lining?

Old 09-22-2013, 05:56 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default gps receiver

I can tell you that the GPS receiver is on the rear package tray. It's to the right of the subwoofers. You can see it in one of my photos.

I found a couple of loose connectors back there as well. I think they are causing a nasty rattle in my car. Anyone know what these are? They look like coaxial antenna type connectors. I don't have bluetooth or Satellite radio. Could it be one of those?

I took some photos. There is one to the right of the subs and one to the left.

Any ideas?

Attached Thumbnails Sunroof shade Interior trim removal.-20130922_135106.jpg   Sunroof shade Interior trim removal.-20130922_135136.jpg  
Old 10-15-2015, 08:04 PM
Received 256 Likes on 144 Posts

Hello.

I'm in the midst of a headliner/slider recover. Here's a couple photos.

Hancock fabrics had a grey-sand headliner material which seems to match quite nicely, in case anyone else is looking and has the ADX sand interior.

Also, looking for some clarification on getting the sliding sunroof cover out. Attempting this portion of disassembly tomorrow.

Thanks
Mag

Attached Thumbnails Sunroof shade Interior trim removal.-image.jpeg  
Old 10-15-2015, 08:28 PM

Retry photos

Attached Thumbnails Sunroof shade Interior trim removal.-photo121.jpg   Sunroof shade Interior trim removal.-photo631.jpg  
Old 10-17-2015, 04:36 PM

Thanks again to ALL forums members who always have great and helpful advice.

Headliner done; not perfect but much better.

Thanks
-mag

Attached Thumbnails Sunroof shade Interior trim removal.-photo377.jpg   Sunroof shade Interior trim removal.-photo931.jpg   Sunroof shade Interior trim removal.-photo711.jpg   Sunroof shade Interior trim removal.-photo903.jpg  
The following 2 users liked this post by magmedia:
Muddybear (10-22-2015), tomfurie (12-04-2015)
Old 10-22-2015, 10:20 AM
Received 122 Likes on 52 Posts

Thanks for the photos. How much of the interior did you have to disassemble and which panels? Do you have a LWB or regular? Did you have to remove the rear seat?

Old 10-22-2015, 01:53 PM

and the passenger seat to get the lining out?

Old 10-22-2015, 04:03 PM
Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

I'm in need of headliner magic. Mine is starting to sag and I want it fixed asap. The problem is that I can't find a reputable and clean shop to do the job here in Hell Paso, TX. I am considering doing it myself but I honestly rather spend my day doing something else. Anyways, how involved is this project? I own an XJR which of course is SWB so I'm not sure if I can extract the headliner through the back door. I have searched on here but can't find a writeup or more detailed information.

Old 10-22-2015, 07:02 PM

Yes, the xj8 I did is swb. Please see the additional photos.

Unbolt passenger seat and move it way forward and lay it on its back.

The headliner can be bent a bit to fit out the back door. If I had to do it again, I might do the same to the driver seat as well.

Take your time-I removed headliner one night, then started refurbishment the next day. I was 7 hours till back in.

Next one will be much faster now that I know how all the fasteners are attached. Get yourself a trim removal tool.

Label everything you take apart and baggie it; makes put-back easier.

Thanks-
Mag

Attached Thumbnails Sunroof shade Interior trim removal.-photo327.jpg   Sunroof shade Interior trim removal.-photo927.jpg   Sunroof shade Interior trim removal.-photo372.jpg   Sunroof shade Interior trim removal.-photo205.jpg   Sunroof shade Interior trim removal.-photo782.jpg  

Sunroof shade Interior trim removal.-photo151.jpg  
The following 3 users liked this post by magmedia:
BlacXJRcat (10-22-2015), tomfurie (12-04-2015), trosty (10-23-2015)
Old 10-22-2015, 07:06 PM

Muddy-

Front pillars and rear pillar covers, all the grab handles, the occupancy sensors (after lining is out), and the upper console will be removed.

Each pillar up front has 2 connections to disconnect; rears have one if I recall.

All 4 sunroof drains and several sunroof assembly bolts to get the slider out the back of the rails.

Hope this helps.

Thanks
Mag

The following 2 users liked this post by magmedia:
Muddybear (10-26-2015), trosty (10-23-2015)
Old 10-22-2015, 07:09 PM
Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Coincidentally after I posted my earlier reply I was given the name of an upholster. I will consult with him, if he is not able to do it, I will attempt to locate the fabric and see if I want to tackle the job myself.

Thanks for the pictures.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Sunroof shade Interior trim removal.