XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Update on my X358

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2014, 12:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts
Default Poorboys Blackhole added

It was dry today, sunny at times then a little overcast, but dry...

I took the opportunity to spend a few hours and apply some Poorboys Blackhole over the car.
As stated before its black, and yes, there are swirl marks.

The Poorboys Blackhole does a great job of filling / masking these and makes an amazing difference, although it really has to be seen in person, pictures really don't do it justice.

The finish before when clean is a little like 4000 grit sandpaper almost, afterwards its more like Glass and the difference shows...

Bonnet reflection shots....

Rear.......

Attached Thumbnails Update on my X358-xjfrontside260314_zps37580c5b.jpg   Update on my X358-xjbonnetreflections1260314_zps08b64ebb.jpg   Update on my X358-xjbonnetreflections260314_zpsbada7aca.jpg   Update on my X358-xjrear1260314_zpsc4af551f.jpg   Update on my X358-xjrear260314_zps2a9bb604.jpg  

The following users liked this post:
Jayt2 (03-26-2014)
Old 03-26-2014, 01:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 306 Likes on 224 Posts

What lamps do you have in the outer/dip beam lights Jim ? They seem to have a yellow tinge to them.

Old 03-26-2014, 08:56 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Partick the Cat
What lamps do you have in the outer/dip beam lights Jim ? They seem to have a yellow tinge to them.

Hey Partick,
don't know is the honest answer, whatever it was came with the car.

The yellowish tinge as in the first pic...........only seems to be in the pic, but not in real life>>>>>strange!!

Old 04-08-2014, 05:53 AM
Veteran Member

Well car checked today re "Parkbrake fault" and guess what??

The wiring is chafing as suspected.............it seems to be in line with the issue being more prevalent when its wet.

Dougie, did a temporary repair by splicing the wire and covering with insulation tape then cleared the codes, all seems well for now.....

May be a a new motor / wiring loom but further checks necessary and looks like the warranty may cough up

Had new wipers fitted and also asked Dougie to check price to supply & fit o/s/f door seal ( awaiting prices )

All good so far........Thanks Prestige Jaguar

Old 04-08-2014, 10:57 AM
Veteran Member

Ok, so probably like a few here with the bigger rims I have an issue with my 20" Callisto alloys

They're in good shape ( good not great, but still good ) as regards the finish, but....

After checking brakes ( all seem good ) front suspension and rear suspension all done, tyres all seem ok, I suspect that my wheels may be a little buckled.......nothing to really see but on a balancer or car on a lift with engine running there is a slight movement.

My guess is at around 70mph or maybe a little more somtimes that is amplified significantly, so today, I went to visit Wheelpro Scotland...

They're based in Easterhouse just off the M8 Jcntn 9 near Real Radio, and also have branches in the West of Glasgow and Edinburgh.

They're going to straighten or ( round out ) my wheels and do a FULL refurb on them, stripping them right back then applying the finish after being reworked, for a very good price!!

There's so many combinations they can offer it'll make you dizzy....lol

I'm going for a hyper silver on mine, with a nice metallic flake...

There was also some interior door trims, dash inlays etc as well as RangeRover grilles there, all done too...

They also had this in for a customer as they also offer hydro dipping....wow

If you ever contact them, ask for Gary and mention my name or Jaguarforums for perhaps a little discount....

Booked in for Friday 18th

Attached Thumbnails Update on my X358-jagenginecoverhydrodipped_zps7c0344d2.jpg  
Old 04-08-2014, 08:12 PM
Received 164 Likes on 104 Posts

That engine cover looks nice!!!!!

Old 04-19-2014, 01:32 PM
Veteran Member

Wheels refurbed yesterday and got back today, so time for a little wash n shine and photo opportunity...lol

They are a shadow silver with a nice shine, unfortunately doesn't show well in the pics....

I also removed the chrome headlight covers today......I really wasnt sure about them, but also one or two were slightly loose and the fixing was visible......not a nice look

Much better IMO

Attached Thumbnails Update on my X358-wheelsrefurbed1_zpsf1732d17.jpg   Update on my X358-wheelsrefurbed_zps62a19ad7.jpg   Update on my X358-chromeheadlightcoversremoved_zps0f0cbcd7.jpg   Update on my X358-chromeheadlightcoversremoved_zps0f0cbcd7.jpg  
Don B (04-22-2014)
Old 04-19-2014, 02:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 18,264 Likes on 7,373 Posts

Lookin good, Jim. Since I'm not a fan of chrome, I'd be painting the headlight covers body color about now with them off of the car.

Old 04-21-2014, 11:22 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Great looking car Jim

JimC64 (04-22-2014)
Old 04-22-2014, 09:23 AM
Received 12,725 Likes on 6,373 Posts

Originally Posted by JimC64
Wheels refurbed yesterday and got back today, so time for a little wash n shine and photo opportunity...lol

They are a shadow silver with a nice shine, unfortunately doesn't show well in the pics....

I also removed the chrome headlight covers today......I really wasnt sure about them, but also one or two were slightly loose and the fixing was visible......not a nice look

Much better IMO

The wheels look great, Jim, and I think I agree with you about the chrome headlight surrounds.

Thanks for sharing your progress!

Cheers,

Don

JimC64 (04-22-2014)
Old 04-23-2014, 06:47 PM
Veteran Member

Update

Well it looks like someone at the parts dept in Jaguar didn't check against the Vin number and sent out the wrong propshaft, they sent the std version as against the LWB as required for my car

So the new rear diff installed along with drive shafts etc and all ready good to go, but the propshaft is wrong, so will have to wait until the correct part is received tomorrow now!

This is the new upgraded version I've been informed and seemingly there is a tsb out for this.

Anyhow, pics of the car as is at the moment.......

Firstly, here's Dougie ( the owner and Mastertech 's ) toolbox......

Car on the lift....looking a little bare

Old diff removed.....

Old diff details....someone asked ratio's 3.07

New diff installed on the car....

New diff c/w drive shafts installed.....

Prop shafts old v new.....

I did ask if they could open up the old diff to have a look at, see where the issues are, take some pics etc but it is a no go I'm afraid.

New LWB prop shaft should arrive tomorrow in the am and car ready by around lunchtime.

I'm looking forward to picking her up and hoping for a quiet ride home.

meirion1 (04-24-2014)
Old 04-24-2014, 11:34 AM
Veteran Member

Well, the car is back home now and all good

She is now as quiet as the proverbial church mouse, well......I may need to get new tyres as the road noise is now bugging me...lol

Thanks Prestige for a job well done and all for no pennies too!

I'll be seeing them on Saturday as I'm helping them with the move and hope to get al lthe necessary papework then, maybe even a copy of the tsb too.

Old 04-24-2014, 11:34 AM
Veteran Member

Well, the car is back home now and all good

She is now as quiet as the proverbial church mouse, well......I may need to get new tyres as the road noise is now bugging me...lol

Thanks Prestige for a job well done and all for no pennies too!

I'll be seeing them on Saturday as I'm helping them with the move and hope to get all the necessary papework then, maybe even a copy of the tsb too.

Old 04-24-2014, 12:00 PM
Received 12,725 Likes on 6,373 Posts

Originally Posted by JimC64
Engine bay cleaned.....

Looks GREAT Jim! I was recently working under the hood of our '93 XJ40 and my mother-in-law passed by and said, "Wow, everything so CLEAN in there!" I took it as a compliment that even a person who knows very little about auto maintenance could tell that the car was well looked-after.

Cheers,

Don

JimC64 (04-24-2014)
Old 04-26-2014, 03:58 AM
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Hi JimC64 - Nice shiny tailpipe trims - can you let me know where you got these from? I fancy a new set for my X350
Thanks
David

Old 05-28-2014, 06:21 PM
Veteran Member

Hi David, tailpipe trims came from Adamesh, around £75 iirc and look great, filling out the bumper much better than stock imo

They were a straight fit over existing tailpipe finishers on mine, so a 10 minute job.

Well, after only approaching 4 months and perhaps 4k miles the service reminder has came on, service in 1350 miles, then a few days later service in 600 miles!

Although it was fully serviced when I got it, then had an oil / filter change, air filter, fuel filter etc done by me, here we are.........
So, better check the engine oil I thought to myself after all the issues with dpf and fuel dilution due to many stop start short trips, and yes, oil level at the max.

So, had an interim oil / filter change done today at National Tyres at a cost of £41.05 and reset the service reminder myself.

Looks like something I'll need to keep an eye on, but then I already knew that I guess.

Don B (05-29-2014)
Old 05-29-2014, 03:22 PM
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Hi Jim - Thanks for the Adamesh tip, I'll take a look at their website. I'm thinking these might be an imminent purchase.
Just had mine serviced along with a Terraclean - It has definitely made a noticeable difference in throttle response and certainly feels more willing. Too early to gauge the benefits in fuel consumption, but early signs look promising.
Cheers
David

JimC64 (05-29-2014)
Old 03-04-2015, 09:46 AM
Veteran Member
Old 03-22-2015, 07:00 PM
Veteran Member

Spent a little time today on wind noise and interior creaks, there are a few that I want to iron out.

Wind noise - I used some duct tape and taped up the top corner of the mirror housing ( the seal there looks like a terrible fit )
I tried driving along the motorway at around 70mph without it and the wind noise was present. I travelled the same journey with the tape firmly in place AND the wind noise was still present, so back to the drawing board on that one.

Rear seat belt anchor points / covers - I removed these and then reinstalled with some clear silicone to firmly hold in place. I will never be removing these for use so just want them held in place with NO creaks - RESOLVED

Drivers seat belt receiver - Probably due to my large frame, I notice when rounding bends / roundabouts and the like that it presses firmly against the centre console and squeaks. I haven't cured this as yet but intend to get some black material if possible with a sticky back and apply to the inside edge of this to try and eliminate the problem.

Old 04-04-2015, 07:10 PM
Veteran Member

Well a really nice day today and had a few hours to kill so.....
Engine bay detailed - gave it a quick once over removing any dust ( seems to gather quite a bit ) and made good, got all black plastic trim parts looking black n shiny.
Should hopefully just leave me a quick once over prior to the meet.

She was all washed n shined yesterday, so already looking pretty good, paid particular attention to the alloys using a wheel brush to clean right through...nice!!

Emptied the boot today, a considerable task considering everything that's in there ( minus the kitchen sink )
Vacuumed and then washed down the carpet and re organised all my kit into the 2 boxes I have in there. I also added a holdall to carry my work equipment, work boots, Hi viz, hard hat etc.....a nice tidy up

Got around to the seal belt holder - I bought some sticky backed felt ( the type used for the bottom of tables / chairs etc ) and applied it to the holder. My hope is that reduces the squeaks etc from that area...we'll see!
Spent the remaining time trying to work out what to do with my calipers / hubs this year??
See pic below....

Name:  wheelsrefurbed_zps62a19ad7.jpg
Views: 914
Size:  57.0 KB

I'm debating whether to repaint the calipers in black or to go with the red???
Hmmm, I'll sweat that for the next few days until next Sunday when I do the job I guess.

The hubs will need redoing again too in stock silver ( especially the fronts which have had new brake discs / pads fitted ) as the rust is appearing already and wasting the look.
Also debating with myself as to whether or not I should paint the dust shields??
If so, silver or black??

Probably inspired by Beavis' pic below.....

stunning!

Quick Reply: Update on my X358