XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

2 cats in the driveway

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2014, 01:45 PM
Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts
Default 2 cats in the driveway

After being on the XKRs forum forum since last year, I join the XJ forum because I just bought a 2nd Jag. Beside the XKRS, I have now a brand new AWD 2014 XJL portfolio black on black.

So far, it's an amazing machine. Completely different animal then the XKRS. Soooo smooth. A real concert room on whells with the Meridian sound system.

So far, I'm glad to be with you guys now...

Guy

Attached Thumbnails 2 cats in the driveway-2-jag-d.jpg  
Old 09-28-2014, 10:30 PM
Location: Mooresville, NC (Race City USA), home of most NASCAR teams.
Received 480 Likes on 368 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by Quebecjag
After being on the XKRs forum forum since last year, I join the XJ forum because I just bought a 2nd Jag. Beside the XKRS, I have now a brand new AWD 2014 XJL portfolio black on black.
So far, it's an amazing machine. Completely different animal then the XKRS. Soooo smooth. A real concert room on whells with the Meridian sound system.
Guy
Welcome aboard, and enjoy your new Jag!

The following users liked this post:
Quebecjag (09-30-2014)
Old 09-29-2014, 12:32 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Nice! Congrats on the new animal in your stable. No pun...

Old 09-29-2014, 04:14 PM
Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Guy

Congrats on the new XJL. BTW, what do you think of the 3.0 V6? I have a 2012 XJL Portfolio with a 5.0 V8 that I've put 30k miles on over the past 2.5 years, and my dealer is trying to talk me into a 2014 XJL Portfolio. I realize that it is only 45 fewer horses, but it still seems strange to have a V6 in that car. I'm probably going to go to the dealer soon to drive one myself, but I was just curious if you have any concerns about the (lack of) power or have noticed any other drawbacks of that power plant?

Old 09-30-2014, 05:19 AM

Originally Posted by MadManOfBethesda
Congrats on the new XJL. BTW, what do you think of the 3.0 V6? I have a 2012 XJL Portfolio with a 5.0 V8 that I've put 30k miles on over the past 2.5 years, and my dealer is trying to talk me into a 2014 XJL Portfolio. I realize that it is only 45 fewer horses, but it still seems strange to have a V6 in that car. I'm probably going to go to the dealer soon to drive one myself, but I was just curious if you have any concerns about the (lack of) power or have noticed any other drawbacks of that power plant?
Honestly, I am very satisfy with the V6 for what I was looking for. It's absolutly NO comparaison with the 550 HP I have with the XKRS, but for a day to day winter car, it's surprising alive. I was expecting a more dramatic downside. The V6 is very linear, the 8 speeds trans do the job... the biggest downside is the sound. I now listen to the radio insted to the tailpipes!!!

There's a XJ with the 5 L V8 SC at 550 H too. Seem to be the same as my XKRS PLUS an 8 speeds trans. But no AWD with that configuration. Since I live in the mountain, I need traction for the winter.

Guy

Old 09-30-2014, 05:29 AM

BTW, I just drop my Cadillac SRX with a 3 L V6 too. NO comparaison. The Jag with the Supercharge is MUCH MUCH more alive then the caddy. I can get in front of the traffic in a seconde insted of an hour with the caddy.

PLUS, with the Dynamic mode and Sport tuning on the trans. it add a lot of ZIP!

Guy

Guy

Old 10-01-2014, 06:26 AM

Honestly, I am very satisfy with the V6 for what I was looking for. It's absolutly NO comparaison with the 550 HP I have with the XKRS, but for a day to day winter car, it's surprising alive. I was expecting a more dramatic downside. The V6 is very linear, the 8 speeds trans do the job... the biggest downside is the sound. I now listen to the radio insted to the tailpipes!!!

Thanks for the mini review and the chuckle about the sound. I actually went to the dealer yesterday and saw the car, but I didn't get around to driving it because I wasn't thrilled with the interior color trim. (London tan/navy and a Rhodium Silver exterior). I don't know if this makes sense to anyone else, but to me, that trim would look nice on an XK or other "sleek" sports car, but it didn't look regal or elegant enough for what an XJL should be.

A couple of other minor surprises to me with the 2014s is that apparently the front seat massagers are now an $800 option rather than being included in the Portfolio edition (and this car didn't have it), and the Jaguar Platinum maintenance program isn't the same. With my 2012, all scheduled maintenance is included for 4yrs/50k, but I understand now that that was discontinued in 2013 and now Jaguar only covers the first year's scheduled maintenance.

Oh, one other unrelated note I want to add for anyone who may not have seen earlier mentions of the program: The JCNA discount is absolutely fantastic. The sales manager contacted JaguarUSA (I guess that's who he called) and confirmed that I would have received an additional $2,500 off the cost of the car by providing my membership id had I purchased the car yesterday. I believe the discount program is good through March 2015 at this point in time.

Old 10-01-2014, 06:51 PM
Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Congrats! The black looks awesome. Any other pics? Would love to see it from other angles.
Cheers,
Kjamo

Old 10-01-2014, 08:22 PM

Thanks for the mini review and the chuckle about the sound. I actually went to the dealer yesterday and saw the car, but I didn't get around to driving it because I wasn't thrilled with the interior color trim. (London tan/navy and a Rhodium Silver exterior). I don't know if this makes sense to anyone else, but to me, that trim would look nice on an XK or other "sleek" sports car, but it didn't look regal or elegant enough for what an XJL should be.

Quick update: Went back to the dealer tonight and looked at a Lunar Grey XJL with an all Navy interior/Ivory trim. Really liked this color combination and ended up pulling the trigger. Also looks really sharp at night with the blue-lit vents of the illumination package. The only downside to me is that it doesn't have the seat massage that was standard with the 2012. When I drove it, I really didn't notice much, if any, difference from the 5.0 V8. Got what I thought was a pretty good deal, which of course included the additional $2,500 JCNA discount. An additional benefit is that my 2012 had 29,500 miles and was due for new tires and brakes, so I saved those maintenance costs as well.

I'm not good at posting pictures, so I'll just post the Cars.com link to car (at least for as long as it remains active):

2014 Jaguar XJ XJL Portfolio, $85,044 - Cars.com

Old 10-01-2014, 10:49 PM

MadManofBethtesd- Congrats! You have impeccable taste my friend.

I just picked up the same color combination for my wife in a 2013 5.0 L XJL that was still sitting on the dealers lot at the end of this summer. I've only driven it a handful of times, but every time, heads turn to check it out.

While picking it up, I made the mistake of test driving the F-Type R while they were detailing the XJ. So, now the F-Type is on order. Can't wait.

Best,
kjamo

Old 10-02-2014, 05:24 AM

Originally Posted by Kjamo

I just picked up the same color combination for my wife in a 2013 5.0 L XJL that was still sitting on the dealers lot at the end of this summer. I've only driven it a handful of times, but every time, heads turn to check it out.

While picking it up, I made the mistake of test driving the F-Type R while they were detailing the XJ. So, now the F-Type is on order. Can't wait.

Best,
kjamo

Thanks, kjamo. I, too, fell in love with the F-Type, but it will have to wait awhile. The 2012 XJL (and now the 2014) are the first sedans I've ever owned and I bought them specifically so that I could drive my elderly parents around town in comfort (they're 87 & 82). I'm 6'4" and even with a four-door sedan, there are very few vehicles where someone can sit comfortably behind me. The XJL is perfect.

Oh well, in the interim, I can occasionally have fun in the used 2005 Maserati I recently purchased for my wife to tool around town in. BTW, my previous car before the 2012 XJL was an SC430, so you're right: we both have impeccable taste, lol.

Old 10-02-2014, 12:10 PM

Thanks, kjamo. I, too, fell in love with the F-Type, but it will have to wait awhile. The 2012 XJL (and now the 2014) are the first sedans I've ever owned and I bought them specifically so that I could drive my elderly parents around town in comfort (they're 87 & 82). I'm 6'4" and even with a four-door sedan, there are very few vehicles where someone can sit comfortably behind me. The XJL is perfect.

Oh well, in the interim, I can occasionally have fun in the used 2005 Maserati I recently purchased for my wife to tool around town in. BTW, my previous car before the 2012 XJL was an SC430, so you're right: we both have impeccable taste, lol.
I hope my 13yo son who is 6'3" is as thoughtful as you are when when the time comes to take care of his aging parents! We'll done MadManOfBethesda.

Kjamo

Old 10-02-2014, 01:14 PM
GGG
Received 16,768 Likes on 12,155 Posts

Quick update: Went back to the dealer tonight and looked at a Lunar Grey XJL with an all Navy interior/Ivory trim. Really liked this color combination and ended up pulling the trigger. ........ I'm not good at posting pictures, so I'll just post the Cars.com link to car (at least for as long as it remains active):
The dealer pictures are likely to be taken down very soon now you have purchased the vehicle so I've copied and posted them here.

Looks great.

2 cats in the driveway-xj_01.jpg 2 cats in the driveway-xj_02.jpg 2 cats in the driveway-xj_03.jpg

2 cats in the driveway-xj_04.jpg 2 cats in the driveway-xj_05.jpg 2 cats in the driveway-xj_06.jpg

2 cats in the driveway-xj_08.jpg 2 cats in the driveway-xj_09.jpg 2 cats in the driveway-xj_10.jpg

2 cats in the driveway-xj_11.jpg

I left out the one with the VIN. You wouldn't want that posted on a public forum!

Graham

Last edited by GGG; 10-02-2014 at 01:16 PM.
Old 10-03-2014, 12:40 PM
Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

2 in my driveway as well, f type v8s and a xjl supercharged. Love them both.

Old 10-03-2014, 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by GGG
The dealer pictures are likely to be taken down very soon now you have purchased the vehicle so I've copied and posted them here.

Thank you, Graham, that was very considerate of you.

Old 10-04-2014, 08:22 AM

Congrats! The black looks awesome. Any other pics? Would love to see it from other angles.
Cheers,
Kjamo
It rain today. I'll try to put more pics soon...
Guy

Kjamo (10-04-2014)
Old 10-04-2014, 08:26 AM

Quick update: Went back to the dealer tonight and looked at a Lunar Grey XJL with an all Navy interior/Ivory trim. Really liked this color combination and ended up pulling the trigger. Also looks really sharp at night with the blue-lit vents of the illumination package. The only downside to me is that it doesn't have the seat massage that was standard with the 2012. When I drove it, I really didn't notice much, if any, difference from the 5.0 V8. Got what I thought was a pretty good deal, which of course included the additional $2,500 JCNA discount. An additional benefit is that my 2012 had 29,500 miles and was due for new tires and brakes, so I saved those maintenance costs as well.

I'm not good at posting pictures, so I'll just post the Cars.com link to car (at least for as long as it remains active):

2014 Jaguar XJ XJL Portfolio, $85,044 - Cars.com
Congrats!!!

My first choice was dark blue/ Tan & blue interior. I find that combo really class. Nice to know you don't notice much difference with the 5 L!

BTW: what is JCNA???

Guy

Old 10-04-2014, 08:28 AM

Best,
kjamo
Welcome in the 2 Jags club!

Guy

Old 10-04-2014, 08:33 AM

BTW: what is JCNA???

Guy

Jaguar Clubs of North America. There are local affiliate clubs as well, some apparently, more active than others. Unfortunately, the local South Florida club appears to be fairly inactive at this point in time, so I just joined as a Member-At-Large to the national organization.

Jaguar Clubs of North America

Quebecjag (10-06-2014)
Old 10-04-2014, 07:21 PM

Welcome in the 2 Jags club!

Guy
Thanks Quebecjag!

Quick Reply: 2 cats in the driveway