XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

2011 XJ Supercharged - blown fuel injectors

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2017, 11:02 AM
Received 74 Likes on 53 Posts
Default 2011 XJ Supercharged - blown fuel injectors

A few weeks ago, I was turning onto an uphill road and gave the car some gas for about a quarter mile (I love the roar when I get that opportunity). About a quarter mile later, after dropping off the accelerator, the Check Engine light came on, the car dropped into restricted mode, and I was able to limp into a shopping center where I hooked up my trusty OBDII reader. It indicated misfires in cylinders 2, 4, 6, and 8 (all on the driver's side of the engine). (Note - this is a US version, left hand drive.) Having the car towed to a Jaguar dealer, they determined that the fuel injectors on those cylinders had all failed simultaneously. I was stunned, never having heard of four cylinders having blown injectors at the same time without some other catastrophic failure. They were unable to determine what caused the failure, but for just under $2,800.00 they replaced them, the four spark plugs on that side of the engine, changed the oil as a precaution, and gave the car a bath. They did say that they have seen this problem four or five times in the past, and it was always on the driver's side of the engine.

Has anyone encountered this before, and might know what caused it? It is hard for me to think that a short burst of acceleration would trigger such a failure, but it is the only temporal connection I have.

Thank you,

Jeff T

Old 03-11-2017, 07:33 PM
Received 79 Likes on 54 Posts

Nice signature pic Jeff T.

Old 03-11-2017, 09:00 PM
Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

I wonder if the wiring loom is vulnerable to sudden tweaking when you gun the motor on that model. It might be worse if the motor mounts are going soft. Modern car electronics can go pretty wonky if the ground goes away at the wrong time or 12V get momentarily applied to the wrong place. The fault occurring only on one side is consistent with the way a car engine torques in one direction.

Old 03-12-2017, 05:24 PM
Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Wait, I buy a car with approx. 500 hp, but I can't hit the throttle because the injector wiring can't handle the torque? The "dealer has seen it several times"? Sounds to me like it is a product defect, if that is truly the case, and worthy of class action. I am going to drive my car the way it was intended. If I see that sort of failure, the repair will not be a cordial event at all.

Old 03-13-2017, 09:11 AM
Veteran Member
Received 512 Likes on 413 Posts

Never encountered any problem in the fuel system. The closest was having the fuel pump in the gas tank replaced as I had a failed fuel level sensor and that came as an assembly with the pump. I have driven my XJ very hard on many occasions, including repeated 1/2 mile acceleration runs at an event called Wanna Go Fast several times over the years (usually hit a little over 140mph in the ½ mile from standing start). Sorry, but sounds like the dealer is blowing smoke. I've had my SuperSport over 165 mph and she still had plenty left and no engine issues at all. I have gone through 3 water pumps and one set of coolant crossover pipes, but the current one is holding up well, also, had killed and replaced my motor mounts that failed due to many brake torque starts. But no wiring issue.

Old 03-14-2017, 03:09 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

I don't recall posts about this before (but maybe have forgotten) - anyone recall some?

I'm tempted to think the franchise is wrong...

Old 03-14-2017, 03:10 PM
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Jaguar only sells the fuel injectors as a complete rail. You can't replace just 1 on the 5.0L engine (well, you *can* but you're paying for all 4 regardless.) It costs you additional labor to go in there and figure out which 1 or 2 injectors have failed but there's no point in doing that when you're paying to replace the whole rail anyway. Moreover, and I can't explain why because I lack the engineering knowledge, it's not uncommon to lose a second injector on the same rail shortly after losing the first (at least that was the case when we could replace only 1.) Don't beat yourself up trying to figure out if all 4 failed or not and why. Dealership saw heavy misfire counts on all 4 cylinders (because that's what happens when you lose an injector: all 4 on the same bank start misfiring) and a bunch of other related codes and a vehicle puking fuel out the exhaust and saved you some diagnosis costs. As to what causes these to fail, the vehicles that we haven't performed an intake and injection cleaning service on regularly (like every 20,000 miles) I find I'm quoting out fuel injectors on those far more often than on the vehicles that have had the service. Not saying this is THE reason, but anecdotally, it does make a difference.
And they didn't change the oil as a precaution. They changed it because it was fuel soaked. That part is a necessity.

Last edited by lisalauck; 03-14-2017 at 03:18 PM.
Old 03-14-2017, 03:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 512 Likes on 413 Posts

I was at my dealer today having the brakes and rotors replaced and asked my tech about this and he says they have seen injector failure also. Most often on the left bank and replace that whole rail and injectors too. He showed me some failed injectors and the associated rail that they replace as a "unit". As for servicing, I use BG 44K fuel system cleaner probably once a year by pouring a can into the fuel tank at a fill-up. It works great for me as it has a high naphtha content and is available on Amazon.

Old 06-12-2017, 01:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JaguarJeffrey
A few weeks ago, I was turning onto an uphill road and gave the car some gas for about a quarter mile (I love the roar when I get that opportunity). About a quarter mile later, after dropping off the accelerator, the Check Engine light came on, the car dropped into restricted mode, and I was able to limp into a shopping center where I hooked up my trusty OBDII reader. It indicated misfires in cylinders 2, 4, 6, and 8 (all on the driver's side of the engine). (Note - this is a US version, left hand drive.) Having the car towed to a Jaguar dealer, they determined that the fuel injectors on those cylinders had all failed simultaneously. I was stunned, never having heard of four cylinders having blown injectors at the same time without some other catastrophic failure. They were unable to determine what caused the failure, but for just under $2,800.00 they replaced them, the four spark plugs on that side of the engine, changed the oil as a precaution, and gave the car a bath. They did say that they have seen this problem four or five times in the past, and it was always on the driver's side of the engine.

Has anyone encountered this before, and might know what caused it? It is hard for me to think that a short burst of acceleration would trigger such a failure, but it is the only temporal connection I have.

Thank you,

Jeff T
2012 SC and it happened to me about a year ago under warranty. Similar that I had an open stretch, punched it going 65 then to 80 and boom!

Old 06-12-2017, 04:56 PM
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,355 Posts

Originally Posted by lisalauck
jaguar only sells the fuel injectors as a complete rail. You can't replace just 1 on the 5.0l engine (well, you *can* but you're paying for all 4 regardless.) it costs you additional labor to go in there and figure out which 1 or 2 injectors have failed but there's no point in doing that when you're paying to replace the whole rail anyway. Moreover, and i can't explain why because i lack the engineering knowledge, it's not uncommon to lose a second injector on the same rail shortly after losing the first (at least that was the case when we could replace only 1.) don't beat yourself up trying to figure out if all 4 failed or not and why. Dealership saw heavy misfire counts on all 4 cylinders (because that's what happens when you lose an injector: All 4 on the same bank start misfiring) and a bunch of other related codes and a vehicle puking fuel out the exhaust and saved you some diagnosis costs. As to what causes these to fail, the vehicles that we haven't performed an intake and injection cleaning service on regularly (like every 20,000 miles) i find i'm quoting out fuel injectors on those far more often than on the vehicles that have had the service. Not saying this is the reason, but anecdotally, it does make a difference.
And they didn't change the oil as a precaution. They changed it because it was fuel soaked. That part is a necessity.
this is incorrect, we sell individual injectors. I also have 2 sets of factory jaguar injectors i sourced new in box for $300ea from a vendor.
I have found that the drivers side goes down because it is the furthest from the hipressure pumps. Even though they pass the pump test according to sdd. This is not in every case like fuel dumping, this is a injector. And yes you need new plugs and a oil change because on fuel dumping is dilutes the engine oil when it goes past the rings

The following users liked this post:
SinF (06-12-2017)
Old 06-12-2017, 05:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,140 Likes on 1,461 Posts

@Brutal

Is this random failure or is it related to fuel quality? Any preventative steps, like changing fuel filter more often?

Old 06-12-2017, 05:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,424 Likes on 1,937 Posts

Nice to see 'Brutal' is still with us ! What I'd really like to know is what trashes the injectors just because they are so distant from the hi-pressure pump ? It begins to sound as if the pump can't keep up when a large fuel demand is made.

Old 06-13-2017, 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by SinF
@Brutal

Is this random failure or is it related to fuel quality? Any preventative steps, like changing fuel filter more often?
only fuel filter is sock on lift pump in tank, so no. when one or both of the high pressure pumps drops pressure fuel is the path of least resistance ie more to the right bank. same side as pumps, you can disconnect the hi pressure pump and the car still runs fine till you get on it. then you need the hi psi. this is why so many report after hard acceleration. the lift pump goes out in the tank and you're stranded. lisa is correct on the fact that you're only saving on parts not labor by doing 1 injector not the whole bank. You have to pull the whole bank out and reseal them all whether replaced or not. I myself prefer this as well but ext warranty companies will only pay for the cylinders with issue not the whole bank. most do pay for those cylinder spark plugs and oil change as well as long as presented to them correctly. some are asses and fight you on it. depend who is on the other end of the phone. FYI many advisors have do not talk to list of reps at the different companies. you know the ones that make you go pull all the teeth out of he chicken beaks etc..

The following users liked this post:
SinF (06-14-2017)
Old 06-13-2017, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by Fraser Mitchell
Nice to see 'Brutal' is still with us ! What I'd really like to know is what trashes the injectors just because they are so distant from the hi-pressure pump ? It begins to sound as if the pump can't keep up when a large fuel demand is made.
Fraser, reread I believe I said when they fail of get weak. then you end up with a lean engine on acceleration. aka blow torch, not good on aluminum
also like I said this is a different issue than fuel dumping from sticking open injectors

Old 06-14-2017, 04:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 219 Posts

I've not had this problem, but I did have a head gasket failure at about 48,000 miles which was (thankfully) covered under warranty.

Dwayne