XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

2012 Jaguar XJ Supercharged

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2017, 05:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2012 Jaguar XJ Supercharged

All the jaguar xj review sites I look at show the current XJ as one of the most unreliable and costly cars to maintain is this true? I am looking at a 2012 Jaguar XJ Supercharged with 30,000 miles. Also what is the most you guys would pay for a car with that kind of miles in very good condition.

Old 01-19-2017, 07:51 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,823 Likes on 3,142 Posts

2fast4u, I have owned my car for 30,000 miles and have done nothing to it other than normal maintenance items. Now, I am coming up on a set of tires and replacing the rear brake pads. But, that would be true of any car that has been driven about 30K miles. I think you will find that most of the guys here have had very few issues with their cars. Sure there are a few problems (popping sunroof, a batch of bad water pumps from the factory, slow radio response in the 2011 MY cars), but most of these have either been fixed already or we know the fix and you can repair it yourself for dirt cheap.

Use that "they are a high maintenance vehicle and will cost me a lot" to drive the price down. i bet you will find that the place where you are buying the car from will have a completely different thought on the build quality of the vehicle. As for what I would pay, you should be able to get it for around $35K. Granted, without a bit more information on what other options are on the car, the price is kinda hard to pinpoint. Under no circumstances should you pay over $40K.

Old 01-19-2017, 10:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,136 Likes on 3,382 Posts

+1 on Thermo's comments. I've had my CPO 2013 XJ for 2 years and 3 months and the only repair has been a leaking water pump that was replaced under warranty (a known defect). My out-of-pocket maintenance has been a set of Continental Extreme Contact DWS-06 tires and routine maintenance for oil/filter changes, which I prefer to do at my Jaguar dealer while the car is still under CPO warranty, even though I can save a few $$$ by using the indy technician who maintains my out-of-warranty XKR.

People who criticize the XJ's reliability usually don't own one. That bad reputation was well-deserved before Ford purchased Jaguar in the early 1990's, but improved electronics, robotic assembly, and QC have greatly improved reliability. My XJ has been a pleasure, with far fewer problems than my previous 2007 Lexus LS460 that I bought new. I bought it because of all the reviews touting its reliability, which simply were not true.

If you want the truth, ask the man who owns one.

Last edited by Stuart S; 01-19-2017 at 10:43 PM.
Old 01-19-2017, 11:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 219 Posts

Do not expect to properly maintain a Jaguar XJ for the same money you'd pay to maintain a Ford Fusion, but it's no more expensive than comparable European luxury models. Claims of poor reliability generally refer to days long past; Jaguar reliability has been on an upswing for the past couple of decades, beginning with a period of Ford ownership, and then continuing under Tata Motors. The X351 is a thoroughly modern, reliable, sport sedan and should give you many years of satisfaction. As Stuart remarked, "Ask the man who owns one."

Dwayne

Old 02-10-2017, 09:40 PM
Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

Got my '12 XJL Portfolio in Nov. '14 when it had 7300 miles. Now have only 20,000 miles and so far this automobile has been a dream and no problems. Mine is not a daily driver, and in the wintertime it spends most of the time in the garage except on days when it has not snowed and I might take it for a 15 miles spin. I did get the Jaguar extended warranty before the factory warranty expired. Maintenance work has been done according to schedule and completed by the dealership.