XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

2016 XJ Taillight Retrofit to 2011+ XJ Models

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2017, 01:28 AM
Z20
Received 29 Likes on 13 Posts

This is the number I have for him. tel:+447770777780
Please remember that he is in London and it seemed like I had the best luck of catching him on the phone after 10am his time. Hope this helps and feel free to mention me as a reference, Zack in AZ. And if he doesn't immediately hang up after mentioning me you should be good, lol. Let me know if I can help in any way.

Old 03-08-2017, 01:44 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Many thanks my friend.

Old 03-13-2017, 07:12 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi all, I have just contacted Waleed and the price quoted by him is at £1750 for the headlamps and modifications for plug and play installation.

Hope to gather the feedback from owners like Z20 who have been there and done that. My question is how will the double Js LEDs come on in the 'old' X351 (like mine which is made in MY13)?

Right now, the DRLs in my XJ only comes on when one turn to low beam light. Thus, after the installation of this new LEDs, will the J blade LEDs come on automatically or does one have to flick to low beam light to turn them on?

Last but not least, my XJ is RHD and comes without the dynamic cornering headlamps thus will this cause any error code?

Thanks so much and I look forward to the enlightenment from the other XJ owners here!

Old 03-13-2017, 08:22 PM
Z20

SG, the "J's" light up as soon as the car is started. They are set to stay lighted until the car is locked or they time out and automatically shut off after the car is turned off. They will also blink yellow twice when you unlock the car and then light up white even before the car is started. This leads me to believe they are getting power or signal from the same source as the interior lights. At least this is the case when my lights are set to "auto". I have not tried with the lights in off or parking light mode to see how this affects them. And as I said earlier everything is working flawlessly. I still can't believe how much the high beams light up everything when they come on automatically.
You should have no error code at all. Make sure and tell Waleed that you don't need the dynamic cornering on the lights and see if that changes the price at all. I had to pay extra because mine had dynamic so in theory you should pay less because they need no modification for that option.
Hopefully I answered your questions. I will say that every day I hit the lock or unlock on the remote I can't stop looking at the new lights and I am super happy with them.

Old 03-13-2017, 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by Z20
SG, the "J's" light up as soon as the car is started. They are set to stay lighted until the car is locked or they time out and automatically shut off after the car is turned off. They will also blink yellow twice when you unlock the car and then light up white even before the car is started. This leads me to believe they are getting power or signal from the same source as the interior lights. At least this is the case when my lights are set to "auto". I have not tried with the lights in off or parking light mode to see how this affects them. And as I said earlier everything is working flawlessly. I still can't believe how much the high beams light up everything when they come on automatically.
You should have no error code at all. Make sure and tell Waleed that you don't need the dynamic cornering on the lights and see if that changes the price at all. I had to pay extra because mine had dynamic so in theory you should pay less because they need no modification for that option.
Hopefully I answered your questions. I will say that every day I hit the lock or unlock on the remote I can't stop looking at the new lights and I am super happy with them.
Hi Z20, thank you so much for the prompt reply!

Can I just check further if your tail lamp lights comes on as well when your Double Js are lit up?

Reason why I am asking is that for other conventional makes like the Toyotas/Madzas to more luxurious ones like the Mercs/Audis, their definition of DRLs is that only the LEDs in the front headlamps are turned on but the rear tail lights are off. It seems like within the Jaguar range, the DRLs in the headlamps comes on together with the tail lamps which will really affect the MTBF of the tail lamps in the long run which needs not be turned on during the day at all!

The double Js head lamps were at the foremost of my 'to do' list when I got my XJ last year thus thank you for being the trailblazer for this upgrade and the foremost authority to reply to forumers like me with a thousand questions!

Old 03-13-2017, 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by Z20
Hi Z20,

Sorry, need to add on one more question.

For the installation of the double Js headlamps, do we need to remove the front bumper?

Thanks!

Old 03-13-2017, 11:56 PM
Z20

The tail lights do not come on with the DRL'.s As long as it's light outside, all you will have on is the DRL's, nothing else. On a side note, if you had the dealer turn on the DRL option which made the low beams and led strip come on when the car was running the new lights will behave in the same manor. You will have "J's" and low beams on. And would need to have dealer turn off DRL option so that only "J's" are on and not the low beams (hope that makes sense).
And yes the bumper does have to come off. This was a nonissue for me since I updated the bumper as well. So it was coming off reguardless.
I agree with you on the new lights being top of the list of mods. And if it weren't for xdave posting pics and his amazing post showing the swap could be done I wouldn't of even bought a XJL. So all credit goes to him and his hard work. I took the lazy way out, and was just able to find someone I could pay to do the scary part for me so I didn't screw it up, lol. Plus I was dumb enough to send quite a bit of money overseas to a stranger and hope for the best. Fortunately it all worked out. I'm glad I can contribute a little bit to this great forum. And xdave if you happen to read this thanks for being the reason I bought the Jag, I absolutely love it.

Old 03-14-2017, 06:04 AM
Received 79 Likes on 54 Posts

You're a champ Z20.

So if I understand your last comment, if the car is set with the DRL option on, and light switch is set to AUTO, then both the low beams and J's will always be on regardless of ambient light when the car is moving? i.e. the AUTO setting does NOT facilitate automatic on/off low-beams/tail lights depending on ambient light levels? (like would be expected in most DRL applications).

This is the situation with the original lighting and hence the ask.

Old 03-14-2017, 06:09 AM

Originally Posted by Z20
The tail lights do not come on with the DRL'.s As long as it's light outside, all you will have on is the DRL's, nothing else. On a side note, if you had the dealer turn on the DRL option which made the low beams and led strip come on when the car was running the new lights will behave in the same manor. You will have "J's" and low beams on. And would need to have dealer turn off DRL option so that only "J's" are on and not the low beams (hope that makes sense).
And yes the bumper does have to come off. This was a nonissue for me since I updated the bumper as well. So it was coming off reguardless.
I agree with you on the new lights being top of the list of mods. And if it weren't for xdave posting pics and his amazing post showing the swap could be done I wouldn't of even bought a XJL. So all credit goes to him and his hard work. I took the lazy way out, and was just able to find someone I could pay to do the scary part for me so I didn't screw it up, lol. Plus I was dumb enough to send quite a bit of money overseas to a stranger and hope for the best. Fortunately it all worked out. I'm glad I can contribute a little bit to this great forum. And xdave if you happen to read this thanks for being the reason I bought the Jag, I absolutely love it.
Hi Z20, thank you so much for the detailed replies!

Will hope to join you in the 'club' soon with the facelifted headlamps soon!

Old 03-14-2017, 01:27 PM
Z20

RoonieQ, you are 100% correct.

SG, you are very welcome.

Please let me know if you have any other questions. Or if I can help in any way.

Old 03-14-2017, 03:04 PM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Z20, thanks for all the info and quick detailed replies.. I've been thinking about the new headlamps since I got the car but was too scared to do what xdave did as well... it was out of my league for sure... Def doing this mod now....

I Wonder if we can get a discount if we do a group buy..

whos in?

Old 03-14-2017, 07:50 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hello, I am new to this forum although I have been closely following it for over a year now. I recently acquired my dream car, a mint 2012 SC. I have learned so much following all the threads, but what finally made me sign up was this particular thread regarding the headlights. As much as I love the car, there are things that I would love to improve. I recently also both a 2007 Lexus ES for my daughter, and that car blows away my car as far as the headlights. They are bright, whereas mine are simply okay. I noticed this the first time I drove at night but accepted it hoping to upgrade the HID bulbs. I am now ready to call and order a set of these headlights, but if a group buy does happen, I'm all in. Next it need to fix a minor curb rash on a wheel (happened today but fortunately they are alloy wheels and easily fixed) and replace a crack on my windshield (not from a rock, simply a nice clean crack around top corner, can'y even feel it). I wonder if the extended warranty will cover this?
Thank you again for all the insights and helpful info in this forum.

Old 03-14-2017, 08:15 PM
Z20

As long as the cost doesn't affect your lifestyle much my advice is to go for it! I'm fully convinced that every time I pull into a parking lot or a valet everyone is looking at my cool new lights with envy (at least that's what I think they are thinking, haha). In reality it's probably more like can you believe that idiot ruined that beautiful car with big chrome rims but at least he has awesome headlights! Lol
And after everyone gets their group discount I'll provide my paypal info to accept donations for being the guinea pig.

Old 03-14-2017, 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by gochurush
Z20, thanks for all the info and quick detailed replies.. I've been thinking about the new headlamps since I got the car but was too scared to do what xdave did as well... it was out of my league for sure... Def doing this mod now....

I Wonder if we can get a discount if we do a group buy..

whos in?
I am definitely in, but I hope Waleed's discounts are valid for group buys spanning across different continents as I am from faraway Asia!

Old 03-30-2017, 01:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Guys, did anyone else install these lamps in their car? Also wondering about the purchase.

Old 03-31-2017, 02:13 AM

I'm waiting to receive my headlight. Will let you know.

Old 04-02-2017, 12:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Nasser xkr
I'm waiting to receive my headlight. Will let you know.
Cool.
And can you write when you expect shipment?

Old 04-03-2017, 12:31 AM

Actually I don't know exactly when to expect it but maybe more than 10 days.

Old 04-13-2017, 05:28 PM

Hello guys I already received my headlight and every thing was working perfectly. Working order no issues.

Old 04-13-2017, 07:50 PM
Z20

Great to hear that Nasser. Since I'm responsible for recommending someone to you to do business with it makes me feel better that you have your lights and everything went smoothly. Enjoy your new modification.