XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Anyone's Roof still popping?

Old 07-22-2014, 03:07 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My entire sunroof assembly is being replaced next Monday. They're saying 3 day repair. Fingers crossed this fixes the issue.

Old 07-25-2014, 04:10 PM
Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

I'm curious, did any of you guys have to pay anything towards a courtesy/loaner car while you roof was getting fixed?

I ask because I'm waiting to get mine in to get the roof fixed and my garage is just in the middle of doing there first one. So far it's been near 2 weeks!!. Thay normally charge £12 a day for the insurance but thought as it's a manufacturer problem / warranty job should I really have to pay for inconvenience to me.

Old 08-19-2014, 09:22 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default courtesy/loaner car while roof was getting fixed

Didn't have to pay for a loaner car.

Old 08-20-2014, 11:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 482 Likes on 403 Posts

So say I were test driving a used 2011 xj. How would I know if it had the problem? It can take a while to adjust to a car and get used to the little noises!

Old 09-24-2014, 07:10 AM

Ok guys after waiting about other month and a half on my dealer getting back to me about getting mine booked in, I decided that I'll have to ring up and ask if the first one they've dealt with is fixed and when mine can be booked in. The response is not good, the poping is back on that XJ.

So I say to my self should I even bother getting them to fix it just for the noise to probably come back? or do I get mine booked in for them to do the "2 modifications" (whatever they are) and cross the fingers that the noise is permanently gone.

I decided just to book it in as it wont cost anything and shouldn't do any harm. But I do worry that I'm heading down the same road that some of you guys have had to do with just endless "fix" after "fix"

It will get picked up the 13th oct.

Old 09-24-2014, 08:03 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by splatter88
Ok guys after waiting about other month and a half on my dealer getting back to me about getting mine booked in, I decided that I'll have to ring up and ask if the first one they've dealt with is fixed and when mine can be booked in. The response is not good, the poping is back on that XJ.

So I say to my self should I even bother getting them to fix it just for the noise to probably come back? or do I get mine booked in for them to do the "2 modifications" (whatever they are) and cross the fingers that the noise is permanently gone.

I decided just to book it in as it wont cost anything and shouldn't do any harm. But I do worry that I'm heading down the same road that some of you guys have had to do with just endless "fix" after "fix"

It will get picked up the 13th oct.
Sheesh. I did not realize that this was still an issue with these cars!

Old 09-24-2014, 08:58 AM
Received 122 Likes on 75 Posts

Hi Splatter88,

Please see your inbox, I have sent you a PM.

Many thanks,
Pete

The following 2 users liked this post by CRC@Jaguar:
JimC64 (09-24-2014), splatter88 (09-24-2014)
Old 09-27-2014, 07:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Feedback from dealership (pre purchase)

I've been spending a great deal of time down at the dealership looking at the X351 and speaking to the sales and lead maintenance rep. I've purchased 2 Jaguars in the past from them and would "hope" that they accurately manage expectations. When I asked about the roof popping noise the sales rep said that he had never heard of the problem; I find that difficult to accept. The maintenance manager indicated that it was an easy fix as Jaguar had simply used the wrong bolts on the roof apparatus and that they would just need to be replaced......after reading this thread it doesn't look that is accurately managing my expectations...if it was such a simple fix..then it should be a one time visit...

Old 10-01-2014, 07:55 AM
Veteran Member

Does anyone have a video of what the noise sounds like?

Old 10-01-2014, 10:23 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Hey Churmsk.

I would not be shy about expressing your knowledge that the problem is bigger than a few wrong bolts. My roof was fixed with new rubber seals being installed for the entire roof, but the first attempt was to replace the bolts in the roof using a kit supplied by Jaguar. If you really like the car and you want one, then ask more pointed questions around your dealers willingness to fix the problem not matter what and have some written assurances that they will take care of this well know issue, if it should occur on your car. Who old is the car you are looking at or is it new? I would *assume* that Jaguar have fixed this on the 2014/2015 model year vehicals.

Rob

The following users liked this post:
splatter88 (10-01-2014)
Old 10-03-2014, 11:33 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Rob,

Good advice. I'm in a holding pattern right now waiting for a 2011 or 2012 with the colour combination that I prefer (a non black exterior with an ivory interior)(that's also the LWB). I learned with my last XJ8 that I always regretted not waiting for the LWB colour combo that I preferred...I'm hoping that more of the 2011/2012 will be coming off lease in the near future.

I've slowly been added to my list of things that the dealership will need to address. With my last 2 purchases form them (XJ8 and XK) they always minimized issues and then I had multiple trips under warranty for repairs.

Cheers,

Steve

Old 10-20-2014, 08:45 AM

Hi guys,

I need you're help with this, Could you's please watch and listen to these two links.

The first video is of me going with the roof closed on the last bit of the road to tend to my ponys (about a 60 mile trip). You'll hear the poping noise now and then and that's typical what I get on road like that. On the motorway it barely make's a sound. Click the Youtube link:

The second video is of me on the same bit of road but on the way back home, I was a bit hot after poo picking the field so I had the roof open in position one (just the back of the glass is up). and the poping was pretty bad. Click the Youtube link:

My question is, Is this the same noise you guys have had/having?

My car was in the garage last week to get this fixed but as you will hear it's definitely not. It was pick upped from home on the Monday afternoon and then not touched until the thursday when it was driven around for it a bit by the service manager to listen out for any noises, then on the Friday he went about a bit agian with a technion, then in the garage for about 1 hour and half, then out for a 5min drive and back in for about 1 hour 15mins (I didn't know that until I watched the dashcam footage). I then get my car back later that evening at home by the service manager . He was telling me about there was a noise from the driver side A piller and a noise from the rear air vent console and they have been sorted. I stupidly didn't ask about the roof it self as I thought that was done too.

He said on the Friday he'll ring me on Wednesday to see if it's ok. Not really looking forward to that as he also told me that Jagaur have just issued a bulletin about an issue with the 2.2 and 3l engines with a certain vin and that means 280 odd cars he has to fix by the end of the year. Which probably means getting mine back in the garage is going to be tough.

P.S I would recommend you guys to get a dashcam for your car as not only is it good for when you're in an accident but it can also make sure your car get's treated right when someone has it.

Last edited by splatter88; 10-20-2014 at 09:09 AM.
Old 10-20-2014, 09:20 PM
Veteran Member

Videos are showing as private. Did you set them to viewable with link?

Old 10-21-2014, 03:20 AM

Sorry about that, I copied and pasted the private link but must have not worked out. I've changed them to public so should work now.

Last edited by splatter88; 10-21-2014 at 03:26 AM.
Old 10-21-2014, 06:07 AM
Veteran Member

Holy cow! That sound would drive me up the wall!

splatter88 (10-21-2014)
Old 10-21-2014, 07:04 AM

That's the sound alright. For me the give away is when you turned into the drive (and turned onto the road). That slow turn onto a different grade of payment results in a torque in the chassis and the popping/knocking sound from the glass. It's painfully to listen to that again. I hope you have success in getting the dealer to fix that for you.

Good Luck.
Rob

splatter88 (10-21-2014)
Old 10-21-2014, 08:02 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I think I may have posted my reply in the wrong section. Here it is again. I made several videos for my dealer on my 2012 XJL. Same exact noises. I had the car fixed 6 different times. Sometimes it stayed quite for a couple of weeks. But the noises always returned. Plus new noises in different places after each fix. After frustration. I sold the car last year. Ther should have been a class action lawsuit for affected cars. And don't believe Jaguar. There is no FIX for affected cars. Even the service rep told me that. And don't believe them when they say this has been fixed at the factory on new cars. I tried to get Jaguar NA to buy the car back and they wouldn't. I will never buy another Jaguar Land Rover car again.

amcdonal86 (10-21-2014)
Old 11-07-2014, 07:26 AM

I'm disappointed to say that the rattles and knocking are back on my '12 XJ SC, so back to the dealer for another round of roof fixes. :-(

Rob

Old 11-07-2014, 04:00 PM
Veteran Member

So does anyone have any idea how pervasive this problem is? Does it affect most 2011 and 2012s?

I honestly think that if there was a good chance I get a car with this problem, I better just look for something else. This problem would drive me insane from the first day, and from what I'm hearing, there is very little chance of a permanent solution. Can you imagine buying an XJ out of warranty (as I would) and having to deal with this on your own? I doubt the dealer would want to even do anything about it because they couldn't make any real money on it. On top of that, it would probably take multiple visits...

Old 11-10-2014, 06:28 AM
Received 122 Likes on 75 Posts
Default Roof concern

Hi

Thanks for your posts.

If any of you require assistance with this concern please feel free to PM me your details and I will request that our relevant market Customer Relations department contact you to offer their assistance.

I will require the following details;

Your full name
Telephone number
Email address
Vehicle registration
Last 6 of VIN
Relevant repairing Jaguar retailer

Regards

Ryan

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Anyone's Roof still popping?