XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Anyone's Roof still popping?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2014, 09:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 594 Likes on 422 Posts

I posted a few days ago that roof popping appeared in my '12 XJL for the first time, and gone away after a few miles of driving. Well, it is now back regularly. It really does not bother me enough to take it to the dealer for repair. I think I will just drive it, as it is, for the remainder of my lease (6 more months).

Old 12-17-2014, 09:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 6,136 Likes on 3,382 Posts

I bought my CPO 2013 XJ 5.0L SC SWB with 28K miles on 11/1/2014. It's much quieter than my old 2007 Lexus LS460, which was plagued with intermittent wind noise even after the TSB fix that replaced all the single-glazed windows with double-glazed. No roof noises under any conditions - sunroof closed, partially or fully open, or tilted.

Just wondering if this issue is more prevalent in LWB XJs than SWB models? Does the longer roof make a difference?

Stuart

Old 12-23-2014, 05:20 AM
Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Well its still early days but after near a month and 520 miles later, there's still no noise from the roof after the the kit was put on. Let's hope it stays that way.

Old 12-24-2014, 07:28 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Hi All. With my roof rattling problem no closer to resolution, I wondered what people think should be a reasonable conclusion to this situation.

Background
Purchased (I own the car) the car from Jaguar Dealer: Dec. 2013 with 900Kms (so it's a new car)
In May 2014, started the first of the roof fixes
It is now Dec. 2014 with no resolution in sight and the rattling is pretty bad.

I love the car but I can't bare to drive around with the noisy roof.

I am wondering what you think Jaguar should be doing for me in this situation. I am wondering has anyone had some sort of resolution with Jaguar, (vehicle replacement, buy back, etc.) who had a similar problem that was not resolved? Feel free to PM me if you do not wish to publicly say how your problem was resolved.

I am getting a little disillusioned with Jaguar. They're desperate to fix the problem yet unable. How long should this continue? Is it really my problem since I own the car and "too bad for me"?

I'm interested in people opinions.

thanks
Rob

Old 01-08-2015, 09:42 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Well, after another trip to the dealer, it is all fixed an rattle/knocking free. The dealer re-applied the factory fix and they found that mistakes were made back I May when it was initially done. They found some other issues in the headliner when required a few new clips as well. Anyway, with perseverance on my part and the dealer, I am happy to report that my XJ doesn't sound like an "old truck" anymore.

Rob

The following users liked this post:
splatter88 (01-08-2015)
Old 01-08-2015, 06:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2012 XJL Portfollio with 28,000 miles picked up brand new and the moon roof is getting noisier as time goes on. They can not seem to fix it. I have taken it in 4 or 5 times and the dealership tells me that it is fixed. I am so happy the car is going back Feb 1st.

Old 01-09-2015, 09:30 AM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

2011 with 40K it was fixed and is still popping. Not annoying enough for me to take it back to the dealer. The thought of them tearing my car apart worries me. But I do notice it happens much more in the cold than in the summer.

Old 01-10-2015, 09:46 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Anyone's roof popping

Sadly. There is no fix if your car is one of those affected. Had a 2012 XJL the only way to stop the noise is to get rid of the car. Had mine fixed 6 different times. Headliner taken down the supposed fix done and it continued to rattle and the headliner popped/creaked under all conditions. There should have been a class action lawsuit for owners against Jaguar North America. Trade in value on these cars stinks as the problem is well known and documented. Anyone had there's fixed out of warranty? Wonder what they charge for that. I doubt there are many Xj or Xjl owners that have kept this model once the warranty ran out.

Old 01-10-2015, 10:05 AM
uh2
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by derrickonline
2011 with 40K it was fixed and is still popping. Not annoying enough for me to take it back to the dealer. The thought of them tearing my car apart worries me. But I do notice it happens much more in the cold than in the summer.

Same here. They said it was fixed before I bought it used. Shortly after I brought it home, the noise appeared. I took it in and they said they 'replaced a broken clip'. Shortly afterwards, it's back.

Like you, I've noticed that it seems to come back when it's cold. And like you, I'm leary of them tearing my car apart again.

Honestly, I would be surprised if they even did anything to it. I suspect it's just 'lip service'.

Old 01-10-2015, 06:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 482 Likes on 403 Posts

I am still wondering what proportion of cars are affected!

Old 01-25-2015, 06:12 PM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

All: I had postedthat my 2013 XJ was having this problem (popping roof). Was very annoying. I took it to the dealer this week and after a few adjustments and lubricating the runners, the problem is now gone. Very happy camper here.

Old 01-26-2015, 10:35 AM

That's now two months since the fix and 1360 miles later with still no noise, so far so good.

Old 02-27-2015, 06:35 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Roof Rattles

Originally Posted by splatter88
That's now two months since the fix and 1360 miles later with still no noise, so far so good.

Hi Mark, I also have the dreaded rattle and have twice had it into the Edinburgh dealer before the warranty ran out. They failed to fix it and gave me some free wind noise for my troubles as well as damaging my door trim on another warranty issue which they repaired when pointed out. Which dealer did your mod? Ive opened and closed the roof several times and as luck would have it it has stopped. I dare not reopen it as the noise will return, with spring around the corner i would really like to use it again.

I am a garage owner and competent enough to do the repair if a kit is available. unfortunately the dealer here is absolutely dire and trying to extract info is impossible. I can access Jaguar tech info, but have not came across a fix as such for the roof rattle. The body clicks were body swerved by the dealer too.... other than that the car is the best I have owned.

Car is 2011 XJ-L 3.0D PREMIUM Luxury just clicked 97k today

Thanks

STUART

Old 02-27-2015, 07:07 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default No popping just creaking

2013 XJL 10k miles, bought used at 6k. When I first noticed this It did not really register as a major problem because my old BMW750i had started to creak in its advanced age. In my case I do not believe it has anything to do with the earlier concerns with the glass roof. I believe it is just the headliner making noises mostly eminating from the rear seat, drivers side. The creaking only occures when I torque the body, like decending a sloped drive turning right onto a flat road. I will have Jag look into this in May when I am schedued in for my yearly check up.

I also have tail lights that end up with moisture beads inside after a car wash, random windshield fogging at startup, but not because of any defineable cause, my tyre sensors all went nuts when the temps went below 25F but function fine now that temps are warmer and the rear window trunk lid seal will not stay attached. No worries tho, It is a certified car and I expect resolution. Will report on findings after the dealer does the work.

Last edited by Jag52; 02-27-2015 at 07:14 PM.
Old 02-28-2015, 12:02 PM

Hi STUART,

It was Pentland Perth (same group as Edinburgh) If you ring them up (01738 500658) and ask for Graeme Johnstone, He's the service manager, Explain the problem and if you want mention me Mark Findlater and my reg C2 UOL he should remember it as it was only late November last year that thay did it. It is a kit that's ordered in and put on, All I know is it at least contains neoprene washers and bolts, there may be more to it though.

I have seen on the other .co.uk forum that some people have put vaseline on the runners & mechanism and has stoped the noise, so it might be worth giving that a go first, as your out of warranty you may be charged for them to fix it.

From what I understand the glass or mechanism needs to float as I think it rubs against (whatever) when the car flexs going along the road.

I guess if you think of it like an creaking door, If you put the likes of grease/vaseline on the hinges it stops the creaking. And in the case of the kit the neoprene washers do a similar job (I think). That's my theory but who knows.

I know what mean about dealers doing damage, when my car went in to check the noise out and the technion thought it would be ok to mount a full size curb and go back & forward over it to get the car to flex (my car has 20" alloys and low profile tyres). It cut the front passenger tyre quite bad. I knew there wasn't something right when I came back to pick it up and it had a flat tyre because I checked the car over before I steped in the garage. After looking at my dashcam footage that night I found out what happened and showed them it the next day and got a full refund for the tyre and a apology. Also when I got the car back after the roof kit was put on the plus the rust sorted on the roof glass runners, the drivers door middle hinge had a bolt loose which made the door make a noise when opening and closing it, Not a big deal as I just tightened it back up, but still not good for premium professionals.

Hope that it helps in some way.

Mark.

bradburygroup (03-02-2015)
Old 03-01-2015, 04:58 AM
Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts

I will pick my car up next week but I will tell you that the dealer got authorization from Jaguar to replace the entire roof whatever that means. It was a $4K fix so I can only assume they replaced the sunroof glass panels and parts. I will keep everyone informed.

splatter88 (03-01-2015)
Old 03-02-2015, 12:33 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by splatter88
Hi STUART,

It was Pentland Perth (same group as Edinburgh) If you ring them up (01738 500658) and ask for Graeme Johnstone, He's the service manager, Explain the problem and if you want mention me Mark Findlater and my reg C2 UOL he should remember it as it was only late November last year that thay did it. It is a kit that's ordered in and put on, All I know is it at least contains neoprene washers and bolts, there may be more to it though.

I have seen on the other .co.uk forum that some people have put vaseline on the runners & mechanism and has stoped the noise, so it might be worth giving that a go first, as your out of warranty you may be charged for them to fix it.

From what I understand the glass or mechanism needs to float as I think it rubs against (whatever) when the car flexs going along the road.

I guess if you think of it like an creaking door, If you put the likes of grease/vaseline on the hinges it stops the creaking. And in the case of the kit the neoprene washers do a similar job (I think). That's my theory but who knows.

I know what mean about dealers doing damage, when my car went in to check the noise out and the technion thought it would be ok to mount a full size curb and go back & forward over it to get the car to flex (my car has 20" alloys and low profile tyres). It cut the front passenger tyre quite bad. I knew there wasn't something right when I came back to pick it up and it had a flat tyre because I checked the car over before I steped in the garage. After looking at my dashcam footage that night I found out what happened and showed them it the next day and got a full refund for the tyre and a apology. Also when I got the car back after the roof kit was put on the plus the rust sorted on the roof glass runners, the drivers door middle hinge had a bolt loose which made the door make a noise when opening and closing it, Not a big deal as I just tightened it back up, but still not good for premium professionals.

Hope that it helps in some way.

Mark.
Thanks Mark good to know, Ill repair the rust on the roof where the seals sit and try the vaseline trick and keep everything crossed. Youve no idea how bad the Edinburgh dealer is, and their prices are absolutley out of this world. My last jag was bought with a warranty and then because I also own a garage as well as a chauffeur drive business they then rejected it, then said the reoairs would be £4500.00 dream on. The supplying dealer sent the parts up from Southhampton and we carried out the repairs for buttons. they dont work to manufacturers times I can tell you that. £145 labour to replace a rear brake caliper ????? Its 30 mins tops including bleeding brake.

Thanks for getting back to me.

splatter88 (03-03-2015)
Old 03-02-2015, 02:06 PM

I recently bought a used XJL as well and have taken it into the dealership twice so far for this same issue. Both times they told me that when they test drove it there was no noise and couldn't do anything for me. I did a ride along but it was warm that day and of course...no noise. My car is now out of warranty and the noise still drives me crazy

Old 03-03-2015, 09:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 512 Likes on 413 Posts

Why not run a CARFAX and see if this has been an ongoing issue and if so call Jaguar and see if they will authorize a repair?

micheal066 (03-07-2015)
Old 03-07-2015, 01:47 PM

good idea XJsss. I'll look into that this week, thanks. today i'm trying to remove the passenger door panel cause a coworker slammed the door so hard yesterday they broke something off and it now rattles like crazy.

Quick Reply: Anyone's Roof still popping?