XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Car in shop 6 months. Vendor issues. Question.

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2017, 01:12 PM
Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Car in shop 6 months. Vendor issues. Question.

I posted about this a few months ago, that the headliner/airbag assembly vendor vanished and Jag is supposedly trying to solve the problem. It's been escalated as far as it can go and its out of my dealers hands and has been for months, but I was curious if any of you that are more familiar with the behind the scenes with Jag, could let me know if there is any other information other than what I'm being told - which is nothing.

Accident was my fault, so not having my car for a month is understandable... however, five months of not having my car (that I had only had for four months) is becoming not cool with me. Trying to see what any of you had gotten Jag to step up with in regards to not making me want to sell my car and be done with them (on car number four).

Someone else posted about their car being in the shop for six months - did they compensate you or do anything to make the whole ordeal unpleasant?

The last call I had was basically, 'we should know soon, what we will know' which made no sense... I'm basically being told 'we dont know what's going on, hopefully we'll at least know what's going on soon and then we can give you a three month timeline.

At this point - they can keep the car I'm so aggravated.

Old 02-15-2017, 03:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 513 Likes on 413 Posts

Have you sent a letters (not email) to the president of JLR USA in New Jersey and the president of JLR Worldwide? In the past I have climbed the ladder and got better responce, information, and compensation when I did this.

Old 02-15-2017, 03:51 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

New2Jag, I would think that if it was a parts problem, that at a minimum Jaguar (whether dealership or higher makes the decision) would find a quality wrecked vehicle and obtain the parts needed from that to atleast get the car back on the road with the understanding that in the near future (once the parts became available), the car would be brought back in for the final repairs. Is it the cheapest fix? No. But with how it is being handled, the money loss is going to be much more because of not buying a new Jaguar.

I have to agree with XJsss in that letters need to be written. I would even offer up what I mention above just so you can get your car back. If you do make a statement to the fact of "getting rid of this car and never buying another Jaguar", stick to it. It may not necessarily help you out, but it may make someone elses life in the future better.

Old 02-15-2017, 05:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 513 Likes on 413 Posts

In your letter I'd make sure they understand this is your 4th Jaguar and how thoroughly disappointed with Jaguar's inability to follow through in a timely way you are. Failing any good response. I would find the largest dealer in Florida and picket it. IMHO they will only get the message if they think you will stick your hand in their pocket and lose sales. Just my 2, feel for you frustrated, cents here.

Old 02-15-2017, 08:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Originally Posted by XJsss
In your letter I'd make sure they understand this is your 4th Jaguar and how thoroughly disappointed with Jaguar's inability to follow through in a timely way you are. Failing any good response. I would find the largest dealer in Florida and picket it. IMHO they will only get the message if they think you will stick your hand in their pocket and lose sales. Just my 2, feel for you frustrated, cents here.

My 2-cents....

I don't think picketing the dealer is right. It's not the dealership's fault so why try to damage their image/business?

Better to picket corporate headquarters!

Cheers
DD

Old 02-15-2017, 09:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Originally Posted by Thermo
New2Jag, I would think that if it was a parts problem, that at a minimum Jaguar (whether dealership or higher makes the decision) would find a quality wrecked vehicle and obtain the parts needed from that to atleast get the car back on the road with the understanding that in the near future (once the parts became available), the car would be brought back in for the final repairs. Is it the cheapest fix? No. But with how it is being handled, the money loss is going to be much more because of not buying a new Jaguar.

Seems like a perfectly sensible solution to us but since a safety item (air bag) is involved but I can almost promise that Jaguar would not agree to installing used parts under these circumstances.

Not sure about the insurance company; probably not.

Cheers
DD

Old 02-16-2017, 02:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 219 Posts

I really don't know what kind of leverage you can muster with JLR USA, but that treatment would be enough to make anyone leave the brand! I love my Jaguar but I would replace it with something else in a heartbeat if I were to receive that sort of sloppy customer service. It may be money well spent to have your attorney draft a letter to the President of JLR USA threatening a lawsuit.

Dwayne

Old 02-16-2017, 10:15 AM

All good suggestions... I am actually dealing with, who I believe is as far as I can go north. I've escalated it repeatedly.

What adds insult to injury is that I had a low VIN 2010 XJ when they first came out and were plagued with issues... they had my car six months the first seven months I had it teplcing everything. Eventually they said 'screw it' and traded it for another one. I mean everything went out on this car. They'd fix it, I'd leave, half way home, would break something else. In the five years since then, my cars have been in Jags possession due to no fault of my own almost 20% of the time and Jag has gotten one F-type by from a friend who drove mine and another friend bought an XKR-S sight unseen, On my recommend... that's six cars because of me and I'm younger too... and my cars are always sourxenof convo with other younger friends. I have never bad mouthed the brand, even with having to deal with his crap. I just feel like because I am friendly about things I get results that vary from someone who tells (that's not me).

My dealer is cool AF and this has nothing to do with them. The GM there has always hooked me up and responded to texts and calls so my issue isn't remotely with them - it's with Jags logistics and parts pipeline. Be one thing if I got a new Ftype RS loaner LOL, but I'm driving an ugly ugly ugly plain XF and that is definitely not my style. Starting to think people I meet don't believe I even own my car since they've never seen it, only heard of it... like the Chupacabra or Bigfoot.

Im going to send a letter detailing my plight when the escalations woman gives me her bi-weekly follow up call and explain my situation and how I've had my car in shop 20% of my history with Jag - see if that warrants any stepping up.

Old 02-16-2017, 10:20 AM

Sorry for the typos. Im on my phone at the gym typing this or in between workouts.

Old 02-16-2017, 03:34 PM
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Probably not the avenue you want to take, but even if collision was your fault is your insurance repairing the car under your collision coverage? Without knowing Florida policies and their specific language, on the policies I am familiar with there is language to the effect that they only repair cars the are 1) repairable and 2) it is economically viable to repair. This is primarily to allow insurance company to total a car and to keep them from being forced under the insurance contract language to repair a car that was not viable or economically viable.

However, this language can work to the insureds advantage in your type of situation. Most states impose a "reasonableness" or "good faith" standard onto policy interpretation. If parts are unavailable and no time frame for when or if they will become available, and a sufficient time has passed (which I believe it has), I think it is reasonable to declare the car un-repairable, and treat it like a total loss - where you get NADA retail for it (what it would cost you to buy a comparable vehicle) at the time of the accident. May not be the solution you want, but does put an end to the situation and gives you cash to go out a buy a similar vehicle again if you are so inclined.

Old 02-16-2017, 06:24 PM

Very Loop-hole', right up my alley. I'm going to print out my dec page.

There was noncollision, it was inclement weather and I hit a concrete divider. I'm going to see about this and see what I can force State Farm to do.

Thanks for the idea.