XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Changing brake pads on 2011 XJ.

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2017, 08:45 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks again Thermo! Can you name the publisher? All my search results essentially center on what seem to be those fly-by-night operations selling absolute garbage. I'd pay the money for a decent one. My Pontiac G8 GXP factory set of 4 cost in that range, but was a very solid investment!

Old 03-13-2017, 09:37 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

Diggity, let me do some looking and see what I can find.

Old 03-13-2017, 01:58 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Your efforts are sincerely appreciated! Thank you!

Old 07-20-2017, 01:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2012 XJL NA fittment

Originally Posted by edobernig
Please view this link to my XF SC Brake job, Show photos of tools and sockets needed. You will need a long shaft Allen head socket. Changed to Ceramic Pads just because of the dust. Made a lot of difference reducing the ugly black dust on rims.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...job-how-85582/
Is this the right parts for my 2012 XJL NA? Sounds way to cheap... Please chime in and thanks edobernig for the right up.

Full Kit Drilled Slotted Brake Rotors and Ceramic Pads 2010-2014 Jaguar XF,XJ,XK

Old 07-20-2017, 01:53 PM
Veteran member

NOrcalJag, those seem to be the correct parts for your Jag. The other option is what is on the supercharged 5.0L vehicles which have larger diameter rotors.

The price of aftermarket rotors and pads has dropped recently. Part of it is that some people have given the cross drilled/slotted rotors a bad rap. So, there are a lot of people that refuse to buy them. Well, that means in order to sell them, you either have to wait a long time or drop the price to make people want to buy them.

While I have not bought them for my XJ (yet), I had them on my X-Type. They stopped the car great and then only "issue" I had with them is it seemed like the first few stops in the morning, you would get a little whir out of the brakes. You had to be listening for it, but it was there. I had them on the car for almost 90K miles and only had to replace the pads. Rotors lasted the whole time. When I would get on the brakes hard, I was fearful of putting the front bump into the road because the car slowed that fast. If it was on the seat, it wasn't after a hard braking.

Read my comments about resetting your rear brakes if you install these. Prevents you from either having to buy the special computer or having to kill power to the car and then recalibrating the e-brake mechanism.

The following users liked this post:
NorcalJag (07-28-2017)
Old 07-20-2017, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by Thermo
NOrcalJag, those seem to be the correct parts for your Jag. The other option is what is on the supercharged 5.0L vehicles which have larger diameter rotors.

The price of aftermarket rotors and pads has dropped recently. Part of it is that some people have given the cross drilled/slotted rotors a bad rap. So, there are a lot of people that refuse to buy them. Well, that means in order to sell them, you either have to wait a long time or drop the price to make people want to buy them.

While I have not bought them for my XJ (yet), I had them on my X-Type. They stopped the car great and then only "issue" I had with them is it seemed like the first few stops in the morning, you would get a little whir out of the brakes. You had to be listening for it, but it was there. I had them on the car for almost 90K miles and only had to replace the pads. Rotors lasted the whole time. When I would get on the brakes hard, I was fearful of putting the front bump into the road because the car slowed that fast. If it was on the seat, it wasn't after a hard braking.

Read my comments about resetting your rear brakes if you install these. Prevents you from either having to buy the special computer or having to kill power to the car and then recalibrating the e-brake mechanism.
Hey thanks for the reply..Are they as good or better than OEM? Im not sure if I even need rotors yet. I just got the Brake pads are worn message. Im not sure if its the front or back..lol I figured just get both back and front just incase plus ill use them eventually. How many miles can you safely drive with that message on? i need to drive it until i get parts in.

Once again thanks..

Old 07-20-2017, 08:56 PM
Veteran member

NorcalJag, how long is kinda relative to how hard you are on the brakes. But, you probably have another 2-3,000 miles easy.

With that being said, the longer you drive with that message on, the more likely that you are going to end up replacing that sensor. How the sensor work is that it has an exposed wire that sits about 1/8" from the steel plate of the brake pad itself. So, as the pad is nearing the end of its life, the sensor will come in contact with the rotor and this allows the wire in the sensor to ground itself via the rotor which then lights the light on the dash. You continue to drive it, not only are you wearing down the brake pad, but you are wearing down this sensor too and it is possible for you to essentially burn through the wire in the sensor. So, how long you have is somewhat relative to how many parts do you plan on replacing. From the sounds of things, plan on getting atleast 1 front sensor and 1 rear sensor just in case.

The following users liked this post:
NorcalJag (07-28-2017)
Old 09-25-2018, 12:10 PM
c g

Originally Posted by edobernig
Stuart those prices are very high. Usually brake pads are sold in wheel sets of 4 pads per axle which reduce you estimate for parts. Centric Posi-Quiet ceramic pads can be found easily for about $70 front set and $45 rear set at Auto Parts Warehouse. At $115 for the complete job. I've posted Brake Service How To's in the XF and previous model XJ 350-358 which are virtually identical, with the tools required. Centric rotors are about $50 for each wheel or $200 for all for wheels. That's about $320 in parts to your door. That's a substantial savings for a complete four wheel brake job and add in $7 for a quart of brake fluid if you wan to flush the system.

Centric Brake Pad Set
CE10512400
In stock
Remove
$69.55
update
FREE Ground Shipping
2nd Day and Overnight
Shipping Options Available
$69.55
Centric Brake Pad Set
CE10510950
In stock
Remove
$44.81
update
FREE Ground Shipping
2nd Day and Overnight
Shipping Options Available
$44.81
Centric Brake Disc
CE121.20030
In stock
Remove
$54.07
update
FREE Ground Shipping
$108.14
Centric Brake Disc
CE121.20022
In stock
Remove
$49.39
update
FREE Ground Shipping
$98.78
Subtotal: $321.28
Continue Shopping
Enter Coupon Code | How I get this?

Cart Summary
Subtotal:$321.28
ShippingFREE
Tax:$0.00
Handling:$0.00
TOTAL:$321.28
I’m currently deciding if I should order the above online for my 2011 XJL or buy the parts from Jag dealer with a slight discount for $1K. That includes Front and rear rotors , pads and sensors. I would then goto my local mechanic and pay the labor.

Although I can save close to $700 based on the $300 total price you guys quoted but I’m just concerned about the noise and or braking difference with the products you guys listed online.

any suggestions?

Old 09-25-2018, 03:19 PM
c g

Originally Posted by H20boy
I am doing this job right now... car is up on jack stands. If there's anything specific you need me to document, let me know! I wanted to paint the calipers on the front, and the brackets front and rear while doing this, so I've been taking my time. I also wanted to go with ceramic pads on both ends due to the horrible dust generation. I chose Akebono Euros in the rear and Centric's on the front (ceramics for the front are hard to find!). My rear needed new rotors (huge lip on it) so the project completion has been delayed by a week. It's been relatively painless... and I won't mention my LR piston breaking its seal during my retraction attempts.
how did those work out for you ? I’m about to bug the same one front and back but it’s my first purchase out of warranty and want to make sure these are up to par.

Old 09-25-2018, 03:43 PM
Veteran member

c g, I cannot speak for the XJ as I have not had a need to replace the rotors, but when I do, I plan on going with aftermarket rotors and pads. When I had my X-Type, I went with some cross-drilled/slotted rotors and I would say that the braking was as good if not slightly better than the factory. I know when I got on the brakes hard with the X-Type with the aftermarket stuff, the front end would drop significantly, to the point that I was almost afraid of grinding the front bumper into the road. if it was on the seat, it wasn't after a hard braking. I see no issue with aftermarket stuff as long as you get quality parts. the other "good thing" to do is when you put on the new rotors, make sure to torque the wheels down with the wheel in the air. The reason behind this is what normally warps a rotor isn't so much that it got hit with cold water when the rotor was hot, but more with stresses that are built up in the wheel between the rim and the hub. If you have the rim unevenly tightened to the hub, the rotor will see stresses in some area and none in another area. This will cause the rotor to warp just a little bit. Once it starts warping, then you have hot and cold areas being formed which will cause the rotor to continue to warp. That even torquing of the wheel ensures the stress is even across the whole rotor. This will minimize the chances of warping a rotor.

Old 09-25-2018, 10:15 PM
c g

Originally Posted by Thermo
c g, I cannot speak for the XJ as I have not had a need to replace the rotors, but when I do, I plan on going with aftermarket rotors and pads. When I had my X-Type, I went with some cross-drilled/slotted rotors and I would say that the braking was as good if not slightly better than the factory. I know when I got on the brakes hard with the X-Type with the aftermarket stuff, the front end would drop significantly, to the point that I was almost afraid of grinding the front bumper into the road. if it was on the seat, it wasn't after a hard braking. I see no issue with aftermarket stuff as long as you get quality parts. the other "good thing" to do is when you put on the new rotors, make sure to torque the wheels down with the wheel in the air. The reason behind this is what normally warps a rotor isn't so much that it got hit with cold water when the rotor was hot, but more with stresses that are built up in the wheel between the rim and the hub. If you have the rim unevenly tightened to the hub, the rotor will see stresses in some area and none in another area. This will cause the rotor to warp just a little bit. Once it starts warping, then you have hot and cold areas being formed which will cause the rotor to continue to warp. That even torquing of the wheel ensures the stress is even across the whole rotor. This will minimize the chances of warping a rotor.
I really appreciate the detailed response. I will make sure the mechanic is aware before hand. My only concern is the centric front rotors are only $200 for both which is very cheap. I learned in life you usually get what u pay for. With that said, I would love to hear some reviews on Centric High Carbon plain 125 series rotors from some members.