XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Chrome Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2015, 04:04 PM
Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Chrome Wheels

Has anyone had their aluminum wheels chromed? Also, if you have chrome wheels on your Jaguar, do you like the look?
Also, can you provide the link to the company that chromed your wheels.
I have the Aleutian aluminum wheels and am considering getting the same wheels but in Chrome.
In advance thanks for any comments I am looking forward to receiving.

Old 10-02-2015, 10:16 AM
Received 87 Likes on 64 Posts

There are a few Jag XJs around with chrome wheels. I really like the look. Unfortunately my wife would scrape them up in a week. She is an excellent driver and doesn't scrape the rims on our other cars, just the Jag?

The following users liked this post:
retriever-007 (10-03-2015)
Old 10-02-2015, 03:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 801 Likes on 669 Posts

Yes. On my 2005 STR with the staggered 18" Vulcan rims. I won't do chrome rims again. Love the look but Chrome over Al simply won't last. If I do it again I would suggest powder coating as they have developed this to a high degree and have several very chrome like finishes.

I used this place and did the exchange as it's a much better price that way. You get the chrome wheels then swap them out then send yours back for credit. Be aware that they charge extra if any of the wheels are bent. My car drove perfect but I was charged extra because 3 rims were bent. So they said!

https://lawheel.com/

Old 10-03-2015, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by Polyesterpig
There are a few Jag XJs around with chrome wheels. I really like the look. Unfortunately my wife would scrape them up in a week. She is an excellent driver and doesn't scrape the rims on our other cars, just the Jag?
I understand. That's why I explained to my wife that before she can drive the Portfolio, she has to go to Jaguar driving school--the local school yard parking lot.
So far, I've not scraped them, and I hope that will continue.

Old 10-03-2015, 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by tbird6
Yes. On my 2005 STR with the staggered 18" Vulcan rims. I won't do chrome rims again. Love the look but Chrome over Al simply won't last. If I do it again I would suggest powder coating as they have developed this to a high degree and have several very chrome like finishes.

I used this place and did the exchange as it's a much better price that way. You get the chrome wheels then swap them out then send yours back for credit. Be aware that they charge extra if any of the wheels are bent. My car drove perfect but I was charged extra because 3 rims were bent. So they said!

https://lawheel.com/
Thanks very much for this info. I'll check this out.

Old 10-04-2015, 03:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,135 Likes on 3,381 Posts
Default Why Chrome Wheels Aren't Worth It

BUYER BEWARE!

Before you buy "real" (electroplated) chrome wheels or have yours plated, you need to know the negatives, so read these:
Chrome Plating: Introduction & FAQs
Introduction to Chrome Plated Wheels: Q&A s, Problems & Solutions

Instead of electroplated chrome ("real" chrome), consider PVD (Physical Vapor Disposition): PVD Coating ? The Chrome Shop

PVD chrome wheels are up 2-3 lbs lighter than their "real" chrome counterparts because PVD coating (like powder coating) weighs far less than chrome plating. Also, if your rims get damaged, PVD can be refinished easily at a reasonable cost; not so for electroplated chrome. While you can re-plate chrome, it is difficult and expensive. This is why most wheel manufacturers only offer warranties on "real" chrome wheels for 1-2 years, while PVD is often guaranteed for 3+ years.

PVD is made with environmentally-friendly products, while chrome plating uses highly toxic chemicals, such as hexavalent chromium. PVD is much better for the environment and has all the benefits of powder coating, combined with the look of chrome. That's why the "chrome" wheels offered by virtually all car manufacturers today are actually PVD coated, and not "real" chrome.
If this was helpful, please press at the bottom right.

Stuart

retriever-007 (10-04-2015)
Old 10-04-2015, 03:41 PM

Stuart S: thanks very much for your recommendation, and this valuable information. I'll check out the link you've provided.

Old 10-04-2015, 04:07 PM

Stuart S: just printed the info from the two links you provided. Boy, a wealth of information that will be very helpful to me. Will spend some time studying this.
Oh, do you any thoughts on CalChrome for getting chromed wheels?

Old 10-04-2015, 10:27 PM
Location: Mooresville, NC (Race City USA), home of most NASCAR teams.
Received 480 Likes on 368 Posts

Originally Posted by Polyesterpig
For some reason the Jaguar wheels are an accident just waiting to happen.

I too have experienced "curb rash" unbelievable on my XJL, after owning dozens of cars on which I don't remember ever having experienced it during almost five decades of driving.

Why is that?

Old 10-05-2015, 01:09 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by johndahlheimer
For some reason the Jaguar wheels are an accident just waiting to happen.

I too have experienced "curb rash" unbelievable on my XJL, after owning dozens of cars on which I don't remember ever having experienced it during almost five decades of driving.

Why is that?
John,

You're an engineer, so I suspect that you already know the answer. Your XJ has lower profile tires than your other cars, which makes the rim more vulnerable to curb rash and other damage since it is lower than a curb. Previously, your tire sidewall hit the curb; now the rim hits it. You just didn't notice the sidewall scrapes.

Bring back the curb feelers from the '50s.

Stuart

retriever-007 (10-05-2015)
Old 10-05-2015, 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by Stuart S
John,

You're an engineer, so I suspect that you already know the answer. Your XJ has lower profile tires than your other cars, which makes the rim more vulnerable to curb rash and other damage since it is lower than a curb. Previously, your tire sidewall hit the curb; now the rim hits it. You just didn't notice the sidewall scrapes.

Bring back the curb feelers from the '50s.

Stuart

You have a point Stuart about low profile tires and why we're more likely to mess up the wheels. I too had curb feelers on my '64 Galaxie 500, and that was about 1968 & '69.

Old 10-06-2015, 02:55 AM
MHT
Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

If I were to go with a Chrome Wheel, I would prefer that it be an OEM Wheel. I have never had any luck with an after market chrome wheel or a wheel that I have had chromed.
I like the Aleutian wheel that is on the car just as it is. If curb rash was a concern, I would deffinetly stay away from a chrome wheel.
There are some tires that the sidewall is designed to help prevent a wheel from being damaged if you happen to rub the curb.

retriever-007 (10-06-2015)
Old 10-06-2015, 04:57 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by MHT
... There are some tires that the sidewall is designed to help prevent a wheel from being damaged if you happen to rub the curb.
MHT,

The OEM tires on my XJ are 20" Dunlop SP Sport MAXX GT, 245/40ZR20 fronts and 275/35ZR20 rears. They have a protruding rub strip (about 1/4") intended to protect the rim from curb damage, which is barely visible in this picture from TireRack.com.

My experience with these tires is that the rub strip fails to provide any meaningful rim protection. Even if you barely hit the curb, the rim still gets scraped and a section of that rub strip gets ripped off where it hit the curb.

A good idea in theory that doesn't work in the real world.

Stuart

Last edited by Stuart S; 10-06-2015 at 05:07 PM.
retriever-007 (10-06-2015)
Old 10-06-2015, 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by MHT
If I were to go with a Chrome Wheel, I would prefer that it be an OEM Wheel. I have never had any luck with an after market chrome wheel or a wheel that I have had chromed.
I like the Aleutian wheel that is on the car just as it is. If curb rash was a concern, I would deffinetly stay away from a chrome wheel.
There are some tires that the sidewall is designed to help prevent a wheel from being damaged if you happen to rub the curb.
I have the Aleutian on mine and yesterday I was in Pittsburgh. I made a restroom stop and before getting back in the automobile, the sun was shinning on the wheels and they looked pretty nice. So, now I'm a little undecided about changing wheels. We'll see.

Old 10-07-2015, 05:15 AM
MHT

Originally Posted by retriever-007
I have the Aleutian on mine and yesterday I was in Pittsburgh. I made a restroom stop and before getting back in the automobile, the sun was shinning on the wheels and they looked pretty nice. So, now I'm a little undecided about changing wheels. We'll see.
I would stay with the OEM Aleutian Wheels. I see in your list of cars there has been a Malibu. My wife drives a 2006 Malibu, I have been trying to get her to trade it but she is allot wiser than I am when it comes to holding on to cars.
Starting with 2007 I have owned: 2007 Lexus LS460, 2007 Cadillac DTS Performance, 2010 Hyundai Genesis 4.6 Tech , 2012 Buick LaCrosse PII , 2014 Buick LaCrosse P1 and present 2014 Jaguar XJ AWD.
It is not that I do not remember, I am to ashamed to list 1972-2007.

retriever-007 (10-07-2015)
Old 10-07-2015, 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by MHT
I would stay with the OEM Aleutian Wheels. I see in your list of cars there has been a Malibu. My wife drives a 2006 Malibu, I have been trying to get her to trade it but she is allot wiser than I am when it comes to holding on to cars.
Starting with 2007 I have owned: 2007 Lexus LS460, 2007 Cadillac DTS Performance, 2010 Hyundai Genesis 4.6 Tech , 2012 Buick LaCrosse PII , 2014 Buick LaCrosse P1 and present 2014 Jaguar XJ AWD.
It is not that I do not remember, I am to ashamed to list 1972-2007.
Yes, I'm now leaning more to keeping the OEM wheels and putting the money toward some other addition I would like to add to this beautiful automobile.

As re the previous cars owned, I actually got the idea from another post on this web site earlier this year where that person listed all of his previously owned vehicles. I liked the idea--you'll note I even listed the horse I once owned.
I like to see what others on this forum once owned and/or currently drive. I'm glad you listed yours, thanks for sharing this info.

What do you think of that '14 XJ-AWD?

Old 10-07-2015, 09:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 732 Likes on 468 Posts

15.2 hands 5' ish just my size... not too far to the ground.

Old 10-08-2015, 01:55 PM
MHT

Yes, I'm now leaning more to keeping the OEM wheels and putting the money toward some other addition I would like to add to this beautiful automobile.

As re the previous cars owned, I actually got the idea from another post on this web site earlier this year where that person listed all of his previously owned vehicles. I liked the idea--you'll note I even listed the horse I once owned.
I like to see what others on this forum once owned and/or currently drive. I'm glad you listed yours, thanks for sharing this info.

What do you think of that '14 XJ-AWD?
I am pretty pleased with it. The only thing that was a surprise to me was the Meridian Premium Sound System opposed to the Meridian Surround System being standard in the car, it will be in the 2016.
The car that I test drove had the Meridian Surround Sound System. The car that I purchased was sitting on the show room floor. Once I knew I was interested in making the purchase I had them to take the car outside so I could test drive it. Thinking the radio was the same as the car I test dove I did not bother to turn it on.
Once I got the car home I was shocked that it did not have the Meridian Surround Sound System. It was even more shocking to learn that it was $2,500.00 option and the very top of the line was $4,500.00.

Last edited by MHT; 10-08-2015 at 03:52 PM.
Old 10-10-2015, 04:58 AM
Veteran Member

... that person listed all of his previously owned vehicles. I liked the idea--you'll note I even listed the horse I once owned. ...
It's interesting that back around the turn of the previous century everyone got around in a horse and buggy, but only the really rich folks had one of those new-fangled automobiles. Today, everyone has a car - sometimes even 2 or 3 or more - but only the really rich folks can afford a horse! Attributed to Mark Twain.

Stuart

retriever-007 (10-10-2015)
Old 10-10-2015, 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by Stuart S
It's interesting that back around the turn of the previous century everyone got around in a horse and buggy, but only the really rich folks had one of those new-fangled automobiles. Today, everyone has a car - sometimes even 2 or 3 or more - but only the really rich folks can afford a horse! Attributed to Mark Twain.

Stuart
Hey, I like this one. And, owning a horse in this area of PA cost at least $500/ month in board fees. Also, this does not include vets fees, furrier fees, etc. etc.. so today owning a horse could be worse than a monthly car payment. But, it's the pleasure you get out of riding and/or showing your horse.

Stuart S (10-10-2015)

Quick Reply: Chrome Wheels