XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Chrome Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2015, 08:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 6,132 Likes on 3,379 Posts

You can also look at it this way - owning a horse is cheaper than a psychiatrist!

The following users liked this post:
retriever-007 (10-10-2015)
Old 10-10-2015, 07:46 PM
Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

I'll take owning a horse any day. I stopped riding about 30 years ago and in the last 6 years have had both hips replaced. If it wasn't for the hip situation I think I'd sell the motorcycle and be back in the saddle.
Of course, riding in/driving the XJL brings a different pleasure to it and glad I have been able to satisfy this particular pleasure.

Old 10-12-2015, 08:53 PM
Location: Mooresville, NC (Race City USA), home of most NASCAR teams.
Received 480 Likes on 368 Posts

Originally Posted by Stuart S
John,

You're an engineer, so I suspect that you already know the answer. Your XJ has lower profile tires than your other cars, which makes the rim more vulnerable to curb rash and other damage since it is lower than a curb. Previously, your tire sidewall hit the curb; now the rim hits it. You just didn't notice the sidewall scrapes.

Bring back the curb feelers from the '50s.

Stuart
Stuart-

You have hit on something!

Cars today have electronic sensors to tell you if you are getting too close to something front or rear or from the four corners of the vehicle, or that someone is in your blind spot so you don't change lanes. So why not electronic curb feelers? They could even replicate the sound of old fashion curb feelers, but loud enough to overcome, or mute, the car's sound system/phone/etc.

No more expensive curb rash.

I would pay a couple of hundred of dollars for such a new car option, or aftermarket option. It could be built into the forward and trailing openings of the wheel wells, and/or into the splash guards that already extend beyond the body. Or it could be built into a modern "curb feeler" to help circumvent ice/slush/mud build-up problems.

Last edited by johndahlheimer; 10-12-2015 at 08:55 PM.
Old 10-13-2015, 01:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 6,132 Likes on 3,379 Posts

John,

Interesting, but does an electronic curb feeler make economic sense? Just because something can be done doesn't mean that it should. Sometimes the old fashioned gizmo is the best bang for the buck. Back in the day, power side mirrors didn't exist and you needed curb feelers on the passenger side when you were parallel parking. Today, most cars have power side mirrors and you can tilt the passenger side down to see the curb while reversing into that parallel parking spot. That's why curb feelers aren't big sellers today. And they're useless to protect against unseen potholes and inept drivers who initiate right turns too early and hit the right rear wheel against the curb.

Stuart

Last edited by Stuart S; 10-13-2015 at 01:19 AM.
retriever-007 (10-15-2015)
Old 10-14-2015, 06:44 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I had my venom wheels on my XJL chromed by California chrome. I looked forever for someone offering a chrome exchange, but those wheels are rare to to begin with so an exchange wasn't possible anywhere. We worked out a deal where they sent me a set of loaners and then i sent them my venoms so I had no down time. They actually took the time to think outside the box and figure out how to get the job done rather than everyone else who told me "no, we can't do that". They did an excellent job, service was impeccable with full updates and pics throughout the process. I'm overly happy wit the look, the quality and the end result.

I've never seen another jag with factory chromed venom wheels......and I love having something tastefully different. It really sets off the car. I highly recommend them.

-busa196-

retriever-007 (10-15-2015)
Old 10-15-2015, 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by Busa196
I had my venom wheels on my XJL chromed by California chrome. I looked forever for someone offering a chrome exchange, but those wheels are rare to to begin with so an exchange wasn't possible anywhere. We worked out a deal where they sent me a set of loaners and then i sent them my venoms so I had no down time. They actually took the time to think outside the box and figure out how to get the job done rather than everyone else who told me "no, we can't do that". They did an excellent job, service was impeccable with full updates and pics throughout the process. I'm overly happy wit the look, the quality and the end result.

I've never seen another jag with factory chromed venom wheels......and I love having something tastefully different. It really sets off the car. I highly recommend them.

-busa196-
It would be real nice to see some pics. Please post. Thanks.

Old 01-14-2017, 04:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chrome Wheels

This is a bit of an old thread but I wanted to share my experience withmy 2009 XF Supercharged with 20" Volens wheels. While I loved the car I disliked the stock Volens wheels and so opted to purchase a set of chromed 20" Volens from LA Wheels. I was a bit hesitant since I had no experience with the company and also I live in a cold weather climate where salt is used on the roads which is supposedly bad for chrome wheels. I was amazed when I received the wheels - the chrome plating totally transformed the look of the wheels. They may have been a bit garish to some but I (and many others) thought they were exceptionally good looking and the car was instantly recognized as mine since XFs are pretty uncommon and I probably was the only one in my province with the chromed Volens. As for the chrome, I had no problems whatsoever with the finish over 5 winters. Curb damage however, was a different matter, and as has been mentioned, chrome wheels are not easy to repair. Unfortunately I did not take any photos before changing the car but you maybe able to find a picture on the LA Wheels website. I currently have a 2014 XJ AWD with 19" Aleutian wheels with silver finish and am considering the chrome wheel exchange from CalChrome (LA Wheel does not have the Aleutians). Does anyone have any experience with CalChrome? My alternative is to purchase a set of aftermarket 20" wheels but my experience with aftermarket wheels has not been great.

Old 02-10-2017, 10:10 PM

Hi Bob S.
Still have my OEM wheels so probably will not be going chrome.
I haven't been on this forum in quite some time but will now try to check on a regular basis.