XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Considering used XJ- a few questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2014, 07:39 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Considering used XJ- a few questions

I am considering a 2011 or 2012 XJL. Am I correct to assume that the "portfolio" moniker was not used in 2011 but the "base" XJL from 2011 is essentially equiped the same as the 2012 XJL Portfolio? Also, was the V-6 available in a RWD XJL in 2013 or only in the AWD?

I am also eyeing a certified 2012 XJL Supercharged at my local Jag dealer. Anything I should keep in mind?

Thanks

Old 11-26-2014, 11:17 PM
Received 89 Likes on 66 Posts

Happy with my certified 2011 5.0 V8 XJ base. I'm one of the few that prefers the shorter wheelbase and I don't like the fold down trays. Really what would you use them for. Grandparents eating donuts? Somebody working on a laptop? What are you a Chauffeur? Really just another thing for kids to break. When I puchased the XJ , I asked for a few things to be fixed. They lent me a XF and I was glad I chose the XJ. A completely different car. Before I purchased the Jag, I asked every Jag owner I saw about their opinion of their car. Every single one of them loved their Jag. Some had them for a few years. Not once did they talk about reliability problems, just praise. I purchased a certified Jag for piece of mind, and it puts a smile on my face every time I drive it. Yes I'm a gear head and I buy what I enjoy, not what the magazines tell me what has the best Stats. The interior is as good as it gets period. And that's where I spend the most time. Remember, if your not worth it, who is? That's what I tell myself when I rarely splurge. *** ok Jaguar, where's my sales commission?

The following 3 users liked this post by Polyesterpig:
ckelly14 (11-27-2014), John Fox (12-05-2014), retriever-007 (04-16-2015)
Old 11-26-2014, 11:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,140 Likes on 3,383 Posts

ckelly14,

You may want to consider a CPO 2013 XJ because it is the first model year for the new 8-speed transmission; that was the convincing factor for me. In addition, the sound system changed from Bowers & Wilkins to Meridian in 2013. The Meridian has full iPod and Bluetooth music functionality. I bought my CPO XJ 5.0SC SWB less than a month ago and am very pleased with it. Gorgeous, quiet, fast and a real pleasure to drive. Traded a 2007 LS460 - they're at opposite ends of the how-they-drive spectrum. I prefer the SWB since it's easier to park and I never ride in the back seat!

Another convincing factor was Jaguar's CPO warranty - 6 years, up to 100,000 miles, from the date first placed in service. In the case of my 2013 XJ, the in-service date was 12/30/2012 so my CPO warranty runs through 12/30/2018. That's longer than if I bought a brand-new 2014 today. Also, Jaguar is currently offering 1.9% financing for 24 months on CPO cars. A very attractive deal.

For 2013, the supercharged 3.0L V6 was available in both AWD and RWD. The 5.0L was available only in RWD, both NA and SC.

Good hunting!

Stuart

The following users liked this post:
ckelly14 (11-27-2014)
Old 11-27-2014, 05:23 AM

Thank you. I have heard mixed reviews about the start/stop system starting in 2013, so I was targeting 2011-2012, but you have given me something to think about. I hate to buy a 80K car (original price) and not have electronics work. Availability of 2013 a little scarce right now as well.

I am also coming from a SWB 2007 LS460. Pretty comfy car but wanted something a bit more sporty- too many "old man car" comments from my wife. Starting to get grey now so those comments really hit home! Unfortunately, that car spoiled me and going "backwards" to something other than a top-of-the-line car is leaving me disappointed. Really tried to like the ride and comfort of an Audi A7 because I like the looks so much, but couldn't pull the trigger. Still considering that and the A8L, which I really liked. Really liked the Lexus GS350 but can't get over the exterior stying, looks a bit mundane.

No, I am not a chauffeur. I like the look and the ride of the LWB but to each his own on that one.

Old 11-27-2014, 08:59 AM
Veteran Member

I, too, looked at the A8L and liked how it drove and all the gadjets (maybe too many) but the dealer low-balled me on my trade and wouldn't budge on the ptice. Plus the warranty wasn't as good as Jaguar. The Jag was a much better deal with more unique styling, inside and out. Audis are everywhere in Atlanta and A4s, A6s, and A8s look too much alike. And the A8L felt much smaller inside than the SWB XJ. Maybe an illusion because the XJ cabin is so bright and airy. I miss some of the LS460 gadgets like the soft close doors (standard on XJ starting in 2014) and brake hold, but I now enjoy a better sound system with full iPod and Bluetooth connectivity. And then there's the 470HP and Dynamic Mode! One drive and I was hooked. At first, I didn't like the stop-start feature and shut it off (there's a button on the dash) but learned that you can control it with the amount of pressure on the brake pedal so now I don't switch it off. For me it's not a feature that I would pay extra for but it's nice to have when I'm stuck in traffic for a long time.

It took 4 months to find car in the colors I wanted, and it was in Chattanooga. Fortunately, not too far from Atlanta. These cars are rare ( especially white) and hard to find. Tell your Jaguar dealer what you want and ask them if they can tell you what's coming off lease.

I hope you find it soon.

Stuart

Old 11-27-2014, 12:24 PM

Agree about the similar Audi styling. I was walking this morning with my dog, thought I saw a sweet looking A8, it was an A4!

I had an A6 in 2001 that I eventually got rid of due to quality issues. Even so, I think I'm trusting Audi from a quality stand point more than Jag these days.

Old 11-28-2014, 06:25 PM
Location: Mooresville, NC (Race City USA), home of most NASCAR teams.
Received 480 Likes on 368 Posts

Yes, the 2011 base XJL is essentially the same as the 2012 XJL Portfolio.

The XJL offers more than just rear fold down seat back trays.

Superior styling is obvious since the car was originally designed as the longer wheelbase XJL. Most cars are originally designed as a SWB "standard" model which is then "stretched" to make longer wheelbase models.

Thus, the XJL has more equal front to rear weight distribution, rides with less pitching, and turns less abruptly than the SWB XJ model. It also provides more legroom for both front and rear passengers because the front seats can be moved more rearward and yet still leave more rear leg room than available on the SWB XJ.

The trade-off is the XJL is longer than a Cadillac Escalade so make sure it fits in your garage. U-turns take more road width and parallel parking is more difficult, as is negotiating parking lots. Plus you will have to get used to all the stares and favorable comments you will receive.

Both the start-stop system and supercharging add needless additional cost, complexity, engine wear, and higher maintenance costs out-of-warranty. The naturally aspirated 5.0 Liter provides all the power, torque and performance you will ever need or want.

Unless you get the V-6, an 8 speed transmission is superfluous with unnecessary shifting due to the V-8's flat and more than adequate torque curve.

The standard sound system in the XJL is fantastic, so their is no need to pay more to get premium name logos on the doors. However, the in-dash GPS sucks on all year models, so I recommend installing a dash-top mounted Garmin, which is far superior in all respects, and safer to use.

You could get a gaping mouth Audi A-8L with its Christmas tree front lighting if you prefer being a conformist.

Or you could arrive in a really classy Jaguar XJL, which has no equal.

Last edited by johndahlheimer; 11-28-2014 at 06:27 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by johndahlheimer:
ckelly14 (11-30-2014), Grizzley1 (01-11-2015), John Fox (12-05-2014), retriever-007 (04-16-2015)
Old 11-28-2014, 11:58 PM
Received 89 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by johndahlheimer
The XJL offers more than just rear fold down seat back trays.

Superior styling is obvious since the car was originally designed as the longer wheelbase XJL. Most cars are originally designed as a SWB "standard" model which is then "stretched" to make longer wheelbase models.

Both the start-stop system and supercharging add needless additional cost, complexity, engine wear, and higher maintenance costs out-of-warranty. The naturally aspirated 5.0 Liter provides all the power, torque and performance you will ever need or want.

I have to agree, the LWB styling does flow better, but it made more sense to get the wife a SWB model. Living near the beach, parking can be challenging. I also agree, the V8 is the correct motor for this car.

retriever-007 (04-16-2015)
Old 11-29-2014, 07:00 AM

Thanks guys.

The SWB was never really an option for me. I drive kids and adults in the back seat all the time. Really not considering anything similar or shorter than my SWB LS460.

Really between the A8 and the Jag right now. The 3.0 V6 in both, either turbocharged or supercharged, seemed to provide adequate performance for me, and I do like less trips to the gas pump, if only for convienience. I'm seriously considering the Audi diesel, but that only came out in 2014.

I do agree that the non-SC V8 from 2012 may provide me the best bang for my buck in these cars, with better performance and a few more trips to the pump.

Old 11-29-2014, 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by ckelly14
I had an A6 in 2001 that I eventually got rid of due to quality issues. Even so, I think I'm trusting Audi from a quality stand point more than Jag these days.
"Jaguar rated #2 out of 32 car brands for Quality (June of 2014)
Porsche took the number one position, but Jaguar came in at second place in J.D. Powers and Associates just released new car quality survey, ahead of Lexus, Hyundai, Toyota, BMW, Audi, Mercedes Benz, Infinity, Acura and many others. Let it be known, Jaguar is a higher quality car than most."

Old 12-01-2014, 12:04 AM

Originally Posted by ckelly14
Thanks guys.

The SWB was never really an option for me. I drive kids and adults in the back seat all the time. Really not considering anything similar or shorter than my SWB LS460.

Really between the A8 and the Jag right now. The 3.0 V6 in both, either turbocharged or supercharged, seemed to provide adequate performance for me, and I do like less trips to the gas pump, if only for convenience. I'm seriously considering the Audi diesel, but that only came out in 2014.

I do agree that the non-SC V8 from 2012 may provide me the best bang for my buck in these cars, with better performance and a few more trips to the pump.
Even with premium gasoline prices below $3.00 US dollars per US gallons for high octane premium gasoline, one could save some $260.00 per year going with the Audi A8. Good luck!

Old 12-02-2014, 07:58 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Hey CKelly14.

I think the number one factor you need to consider is the model year. '11 & '12s seem to be inflicted with the rattling roof problem. I think if you can get into a '13 you will not have a problem with the roof and you will get some other nice features like 8sp trans, Eco mode, etc. Some or all may be of interest to you, but avoiding the problematic roof is the #1 priority. I say this with experience. I love my '12 XJ SC but the roof problem is driving me nuts. Aside from that a couple of things I wish I had in my car are the 8sp trans and soft close doors. With those 2 items it would be absolutely perfect!

Good Luck!
Rob

Old 12-02-2014, 08:59 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by rob.drummond
Hey CKelly14.

I think the number one factor you need to consider is the model year. '11 & '12s seem to be inflicted with the rattling roof problem. I think if you can get Into a '13 you will not have a problem with the roof and you will get some other nice features like 8sp trans, Eco mode, etc. Some or all may be of interest to you, but avoiding the problematic roof is the #1 priority. I say this with experience. I love my '12 XJ SC but the roof problem is driving me nuts. Aside from that a couple of things I wish I had in my car are the 8sp trans and soft close doors. With those 2 items it would be absolutely perfect!

Good Luck!
Rob
Rob,

+1 on the 8-speed tranny. But I don't miss the lack of soft-close doors, which I had on my LS460 because my passengers always slammed them and the XJ's doors close so easily. For me, that wasn't a deal breaker for my CPO '13. Also, I like the Bluetooth audio streaming from my Android Galaxy S3 to the Meridian sound system. It's seamless and easy to use.

Stuart

Old 12-02-2014, 11:52 AM
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Stuart S
Rob,

+1 on the 8-speed tranny. But I don't miss the lack of soft-close doors, which I had on my LS460 because my passengers always slammed them and the XJ's doors close so easily. For me, that wasn't a deal breaker for my CPO '13. Also, I like the Bluetooth audio streaming from my Android Galaxy S3 to the Meridian sound system. It's seamless and easy to use.

Stuart
I'm curious why the 8-speed is a plus, particularly with the V8. The torque curve seems flat enough that the intermediate gears wouldn't benefit much. Seems like just more gear shifts to get to top gear.

Honestly, I have a 6-speed manual in my other car, and only really use 1st, 2nd, and 6th on the way to work. Sometimes 4th on city streets.

The following 2 users liked this post by Delta-V:
Grizzley1 (01-11-2015), retriever-007 (04-16-2015)
Old 12-02-2014, 02:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 513 Likes on 413 Posts

So the 8 speed is a ZF that is used on many cars and is lighter than the old 6 speed. as the design is only 4 clutch packs with each having an overdrive so 8 speeds. There is no excessive shifting and it offers more economy in top gear. For me the 8 speed is probably the best auto trans I have ever had and complements my 510hp. Before I received my 2013 SuperSport I got to drive the identical car in a 2012 version as it was my original order, but took so long to build they let me refuse it and built me a 2013, the difference was dramatic. My wife's 2014 BMW 650i with M Sport Package has the same transmission and hers shifts even more seamlessly. Trust us when we say that this transmission is better than was the 6 speed.

johndahlheimer (12-02-2014)
Old 12-02-2014, 05:39 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Delta-V
I'm curious why the 8-speed is a plus, particularly with the V8. The torque curve seems flat enough that the intermediate gears wouldn't benefit much. Seems like just more gear shifts to get to top gear.

Honestly, I have a 6-speed manual in my other car, and only really use 1st, 2nd, and 6th on the way to work. Sometimes 4th on city streets.
Delta-V,

Here's why: ZF 8HP transmission - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Stuart

Old 12-02-2014, 08:40 PM

The EPA shows a 5.7% improvement in gasoline mileage rather than an 11% improvement from the 2012 XJL to the 2013 XJL 5.0 L V-8. And although every little bit helps, it's a bit less significant today now that U.S. gasoline prices have declined 25% in the last six months. You also should factor in that the 2013 model will cost nearly 20% or ~$9,300.00 more than a 2012 XJL.

Last edited by johndahlheimer; 12-02-2014 at 08:44 PM.
Old 12-02-2014, 11:48 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by johndahlheimer
The EPA shows a 5.7% improvement in gasoline mileage rather than an 11% improvement from the 2012 XJL to the 2013 XJL 5.0 L V-8. And although every little bit helps, it's a bit less significant today now that U.S. gasoline prices have declined 25% in the last six months. You also should factor in that the 2013 model will cost nearly 20% or ~$9,300.00 more than a 2012 XJL.
John,

I think mileage depends more on the driver and type of driving than what the EPA says. And I think my SWB gets a wee bit better mileage than the LWB, all things considered equal, since it weighs less. But mileage was irrelevant to me; otherwise I would have bought a Prius (OMDB!). Does anyone who buys a 470HP car really consider mileage as a priority? I think the EPA's concern is more about pollutants and global warming, and that reducing gasoline consumption is a means to that end. Today 8-speed trannys are commonplace, next we'll see 10-speeds, and if the EPA has it's way we'd all have 12-speed bikes!

Your $9,300 "premium" for a 2013 is actually less when you factor in the additional year of depreciation and additional year of CPO warranty compared to a 2012.

Stuart

Old 12-03-2014, 09:03 AM
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

That really doesn't explain why it's better, other than minor gains in fuel economy.

Originally Posted by XJsss
So the 8 speed is a ZF that is used on many cars and is lighter than the old 6 speed. as the design is only 4 clutch packs with each having an overdrive so 8 speeds. There is no excessive shifting and it offers more economy in top gear. For me the 8 speed is probably the best auto trans I have ever had and complements my 510hp. Before I received my 2013 SuperSport I got to drive the identical car in a 2012 version as it was my original order, but took so long to build they let me refuse it and built me a 2013, the difference was dramatic. My wife's 2014 BMW 650i with M Sport Package has the same transmission and hers shifts even more seamlessly. Trust us when we say that this transmission is better than was the 6 speed.
Makes sense. Smoother shifting is good. I'm not sure I'd like the 2 extra gears when using the paddle shifter, tho.

Old 12-03-2014, 02:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 513 Likes on 413 Posts

Trust me the transmission having 2 more gears is no less fun than 6 speed. Add to this we haven't seen any roof popping issues from 2013 on. In 2013 the suspensions were massaged to improve ride and handling and Meridian came onboard. We have seen earlier years with door vibration from the audio system and battery drain issues. In 2013 they really went through the car and made it better. Your choice, but I had an option to take the 2012 they built for me at a savings of almost 20k and I'm glad I got the 2013.

Quick Reply: Considering used XJ- a few questions