XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Crashed jag to new jag

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2017, 10:45 AM
Received 88 Likes on 58 Posts
Cool Crashed jag to new jag

Hey Guys long time no speak! I am happy to say that I have switched forums yet again since I first started posting here years ago when I had my first 1996 Jaguar XJ6. After having that one for two years I upgraded to a wonderful 2004 XJ8. From there I moved on to a 2008 XJ8 Vanden Plas. That car was stolen from me while I left the keys inside (Lesson Learned!). I recovered the car and it then spent nearly 4 months at Jaguar getting re-keyed! Upon getting the car back I discovered it had a damaged front bumper and headlight washer jets were also leaking. This was unacceptable and Jaguar was nice enough to give me a 2015 XF to hold on to while they corrected their mistake. I had that car for nearly 4 months as well! Finally I get my Vanden Plas back only to be rear ended so hard that it forced me into the front of another car that was also stopped at the red light. All was not lost as the other guys insurance company gave me a sweet check for $17000! I only paid $6000 for the vanden plas so this was a score! A free car rental and a month later and I now have this: a 2014 Jaguar XJL Portfolio package with 78k on the clock. Got her for $29,000, one owner car with all the original items and two sets of keys. Shes a beautiful charcoal gray with a london tan interior and it stops people every time.

Old 01-19-2017, 12:32 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,823 Likes on 3,142 Posts

etaent, congrats on the new car. Kinda a hard way to get it, but I am sure you are smiling ear to ear. It is a nice car to own as I love mine.

Old 01-19-2017, 12:36 PM

Hey Thermo thank you for the congratulatory note! It was certainly a hard and unconventional way to get it but it was well worth it! And i am definitely smiling!

Old 01-19-2017, 07:56 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,823 Likes on 3,142 Posts

Your car is very similar to mine (I have the XJ, not the L). If you are interested, it is looking like there may be a get together around May 1 in the Philly, PA area. I am going to be up in that area for work and one of the PA members has made mention that he would like to get together and get some of the other JF members there to have a fun night. I will probably post something in the Northeast Regional section to let others know what is going on and the details of what is getting planned.

The following users liked this post:
DutchSuper350 (05-07-2021)
Old 01-20-2017, 12:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 219 Posts

Congratulations on the new ride. Sorry to hear all you had to go through to get there, but as long as no one is injured, having your ride get totaled is the best way I know to get top dollar out of it! When my son and daughter-in-law first started dating, they were both still in high school. She had a drivers license but he did not, and she didn't have a car. Her dad had been out of work for over a year and a car for her simply wasn't in their budget. In order to provide them some mobility, I asked if they'd mind if I purchased her a used car of some sort (I didn't want to step on any toes, but also needed some relief from playing chauffeur on an almost daily basis). They agreed and I started shopping. I found what appeared to be a very good deal on a fifteen-year-old Cadillac Deville, 85K, one-owner, garage kept. Dickered a little and bought the car for an offer that was substantially lower than the asking price. Brittany drove it for about a year and a half until one night an elderly lady in a minivan ran a red light and T-boned them, totaling the Cadillac. The insurance settlement lacked about $200 of being triple what I had paid for the car! By this time they were married - in fact, the accident occurred about a week after they returned from their honeymoon - so I took the proceeds of the insurance check, added about $10,000, and upgraded them to a five-year-old Cadillac DTS as a wedding gift. Now, four years later, they are still driving the DTS and it is approaching 90K miles. I'd say we did okay.

Dwayne

Old 01-20-2017, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by Thermo
Your car is very similar to mine (I have the XJ, not the L). If you are interested, it is looking like there may be a get together around May 1 in the Philly, PA area. I am going to be up in that area for work and one of the PA members has made mention that he would like to get together and get some of the other JF members there to have a fun night. I will probably post something in the Northeast Regional section to let others know what is going on and the details of what is getting planned.
Definetely let me know about the meet! I am definitely interested! Never did a car meet for any of my Jags, only my vintage 1968 Volvo P1800 so it would be cool to do.

Old 01-20-2017, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by dga57
Congratulations on the new ride. Sorry to hear all you had to go through to get there, but as long as no one is injured, having your ride get totaled is the best way I know to get top dollar out of it! When my son and daughter-in-law first started dating, they were both still in high school. She had a drivers license but he did not, and she didn't have a car. Her dad had been out of work for over a year and a car for her simply wasn't in their budget. In order to provide them some mobility, I asked if they'd mind if I purchased her a used car of some sort (I didn't want to step on any toes, but also needed some relief from playing chauffeur on an almost daily basis). They agreed and I started shopping. I found what appeared to be a very good deal on a fifteen-year-old Cadillac Deville, 85K, one-owner, garage kept. Dickered a little and bought the car for an offer that was substantially lower than the asking price. Brittany drove it for about a year and a half until one night an elderly lady in a minivan ran a red light and T-boned them, totaling the Cadillac. The insurance settlement lacked about $200 of being triple what I had paid for the car! By this time they were married - in fact, the accident occurred about a week after they returned from their honeymoon - so I took the proceeds of the insurance check, added about $10,000, and upgraded them to a five-year-old Cadillac DTS as a wedding gift. Now, four years later, they are still driving the DTS and it is approaching 90K miles. I'd say we did okay.

Dwayne
I couldnt agree more! I was actually looking into buying a newer XJ while I still owned my XJ8 and thought, damn how am i ever going to be able to sell this 08 vanden plas for the newer body style. I thought it was never going to happen and yet here we are! santa came early this year! lol

Old 01-23-2017, 12:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 167 Likes on 120 Posts

I've put my XJ8L on the market for years and only got 2 low-ball offers.

Someone please total my car so I can get a XJL Supercharged.

Old 01-23-2017, 12:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 205 Likes on 188 Posts

congrats! im sorry it was such a painful journey to get there, but im sure you're pain is gone

Old 01-26-2017, 01:36 PM

Thanks guys and it wasnt that much pain at all! It was the best accident I have ever had in my life! LOL!