XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Dead Battery

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2016, 04:26 PM
MHT
Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Dead Battery

I went to get in the car this morning and there was no power whatsoever, no interior lights, no instrument lights and no start.
Road Side Assistance came out and jumped the battery and I drove the car straight to the dealer.
I guess everything will have to be reset as so many things were not responding. They will also be looking for the cause for the battery going dead.
This is the first incident but boy did it come at a bad time. The dealer called and said they have put a full charge on the battery and that they were trying to locate the source of the problem.

I have a 2014 XJ AWD 7 months old 3,700 miles.

Last edited by MHT; 02-02-2016 at 08:07 PM.
Old 02-02-2016, 06:25 PM
Location: Mooresville, NC (Race City USA), home of most NASCAR teams.
Received 480 Likes on 368 Posts

It might be helpful to add that you have a 2014 XJ AWD. Good luck, and keep us posted.

The following users liked this post:
MHT (02-02-2016)
Old 02-02-2016, 08:00 PM
MHT

Originally Posted by johndahlheimer
It might be helpful to add that you have a 2014 XJ AWD. Good luck, and keep us posted.
The info on my car is in my signature, I do not know why it is not showing up. Ok, I can see it here, I wonder if it was because I sent the last post from my phone.

Last edited by MHT; 02-02-2016 at 08:03 PM.
Old 02-02-2016, 09:10 PM
MHT

I was thinking about having a remote start with phone app installed in my car but after this battery and electrical issue, this idea is the furthest from my mind.
I do not care how professional the company, I no longer would trust cutting wires and installing non OEM equipment as such as a remote start into this car.

Old 02-04-2016, 03:17 PM
MHT

My car is still at the dealership. They say they have fully charged the battery but are now in contact with Jaguar Tech Suppport to see if they can help determine what may have caused the battery to go dead. It is begging to sound like there may be a little more to this story as there were several things that did not respond after this issue.
The first thing I was ask was if any after market parts had been installed. I am so glad that I could answer no. I was contemplating a remote start. I am so glad that I had not had it installed and after this am doubting that I will.

Old 02-07-2016, 03:47 AM
MHT

After three days service department was unable to determine the source for the drained battery. Jaguar Tech was unable to provide any help.
After the battery was fully recharged everything was checked out and car was returned to me, all is working fine.
Service told me that, if it happens again to try and and see if I notice anything out of the norm. They also said it would be better if this isssue were to happen when the car is in service but the likely hood of that happening would be the same as being struck by lighting.
Up until this incident the car has been trouble free and I can only hope that this incident does not happen again.

Old 02-07-2016, 11:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 6,140 Likes on 3,383 Posts

Always lock your doors, even when parked in your garage, to shut down convenience mode and minimize electrical drain. I use a CTEK MUS 4.3 battery maintainer and have never had a battery problem. Search this forum for "CTEK".

MHT (02-07-2016)
Old 02-08-2016, 10:52 AM
Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

Also, make sure that you "double lock" your car, by pressing the door button or key fob lock button twice in quick succession, so that you hear the car make a quick beep/chirp. This truly ensures that the car shuts down completely and is recommended by Jag.

QP7 (10-08-2023)
Old 02-08-2016, 10:01 PM
Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by LiquidIce
Also, make sure that you "double lock" your car, by pressing the door button or key fob lock button twice in quick succession, so that you hear the car make a quick beep/chirp. This truly ensures that the car shuts down completely and is recommended by Jag.
I think LiquidIce has a good point. Although I only lock the car when in the garage using the button on the door handle, I think from now on I will follow advice provided by LiquidIce. So far in 16 months I've not had a battery problem but I do know it's critical that this automobile should always be locked when it's put away for the evening.

Old 02-09-2016, 04:15 AM
MHT

Originally Posted by retriever-007
I think LiquidIce has a good point. Although I only lock the car when in the garage using the button on the door handle, I think from now on I will follow advice provided by LiquidIce. So far in 16 months I've not had a battery problem but I do know it's critical that this automobile should always be locked when it's put away for the evening.
I find it interesting that there was no mention of this procedure by the service department nor Jaguar Tech. I was only told that after 3 days in service Jaguar Tech had no explanation for the drained battery.
It is almost like everyone acted like they had never heard of this issue although i had seen it reported on this forum on the XJ and FX, more on the FX.
I also had them to check on the Blind Spot Monitoring which will sometimes default in city driving. Service was well aware of this issue as they seem to see this problem with allot of cars. They said they had also been trying to get Jaguar to act on it.

Old 02-09-2016, 09:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 513 Likes on 413 Posts

Battery issues were a lot more prevalent in the XJ through 2012. In 2013 many changes were made and among them the battery issue seemed to have been resolved. My XJ has indicated low battery once, but other than that I have not had any issues and that include parking in my garage for several days with out locking the car. As for the bling spot monitor crashing, I've become used to it as I had complained several times, even to JLR and no solution has ever been made. Mine will become disabled at the same spots fairly constantly and I can only attribute it to a strong radio/cellular signal overloading the sensors.

Old 02-09-2016, 11:15 AM
MHT

Originally Posted by XJsss
Battery issues were a lot more prevalent in the XJ through 2012. In 2013 many changes were made and among them the battery issue seemed to have been resolved. My XJ has indicated low battery once, but other than that I have not had any issues and that include parking in my garage for several days with out locking the car. As for the bling spot monitor crashing, I've become used to it as I had complained several times, even to JLR and no solution has ever been made. Mine will become disabled at the same spots fairly constantly and I can only attribute it to a strong radio/cellular signal overloading the sensors.
I had the car for seven months and 3,800 miles before the battery drain issue and I never locked the doors at night. I do believe that the battery drain was caused by something running in the car that did not shut down.
I too have only expierenced the blind spot monitor default in only one certain area and it is in this same area that the blind spot monitor would default in the Buick LaCrosse.
As long as the car is under warranty I am not overly concerned and still enjoy the Jag XJ and have no regrets in the purchase.