XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Heated Windshield is it a good idea?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2013, 12:43 PM
Received 47 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by JimC64
When I'm driving, my concentration is on the traffic and whats going on round about me. I'm not one of those that look at the car in front, but more so the car 3-4 cars in front on that.
As indeed so do I, the real point however is that some people have the ability to focus both near and far simultaneously. This is not something I have trained to be able to do, it just happens and there is nothing I can do about it!
Thus, I would far rather spend an extra couple of minutes waiting for Ice to clear from my screen, than spend hours being annoyed by elements in my peripheral vision...

Old 11-07-2013, 01:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

It does seem fair enough that some don't want the heated screen. However, that hardly justifies the thread title!

The following users liked this post:
JimC64 (11-08-2013)
Old 11-07-2013, 03:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 18,301 Likes on 7,391 Posts

Originally Posted by JimC64

When I'm driving, my concentration is on the traffic and whats going on round about me. I'm not one of those that look at the car in front, but more so the car 3-4 cars in front on that.

Driving SoCal freeways, I try to see as far ahead as I can and not just the closeup. Also. I pay attention to what's in back of me..i.e. 90-100 mph coming up fast in another lane. Gotta pay attention to everything around you for your own safety.

Old 11-08-2013, 09:22 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Boys, we just bought last night a 2013 Range Rover Sport Limited Red Edition.
It has a heated windshield and we have no problems with it.
We where thinking that maybe the Jag we had for two days had a glass problem.
This is just a guess and an assumption on our part.
Maybe this is why this one and only car sat on the lot since May.
Thanks for everyones help and comments on this site.
We still are brothers since we all come from TaTa!
lol
Trev and Cindy

Attached Thumbnails Heated Windshield is it a good idea?-3d994dbe-0cf7-430a-bca6-33d50c8fc82a.jpg  
Old 11-08-2013, 12:44 PM
Veteran Member

And the title has changed - wow.

Old 11-27-2013, 01:01 AM
Default heated windshield

I hate the windshield. This is our 2nd Jaguar, our first was a 2006 S Type. Loved every inch of the vehicle except the windshield. This our 2nd one, the XF has a horrible windshield, too. After having to adjust your vision through the tiny hairline heating elements streaming through it, the lines just become annoying more than anything, but there is a residual film that I cannot get rid of. When new cars hit the dealerships, a thin clear plastic sort of Cling wrap is applied to the windshield. Just like the clear plastic that covers a cell phones glass, when peeled it should be crystal clean. Not my windshield! At night while it's raining, whatever residue this is, it makes the window near to impossible to clearly see. I drove home tonight leaning to the middle where it was most clear. It's definitely not on the inside, most assuredly it's outside. It's not a "Get Rainex" issue, there is something that just won't come off, I've tried it all. The wipers swipe clean but it's like brushing suede. Valerie G.

Old 11-27-2013, 03:28 AM
Veteran Member

That's so rare I suspect someone's used a weird product or you're picking up diesel - which is a real pain even in tiny amounts. Try meths (methylated spirit).

Not liking the wires is something else. Next time buy a car without the heated screen and I suppose you could have the one you now have swapped fairly cheaply.

Old 11-28-2013, 09:39 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Wouldn't want the heated windshield again.

I got used to mine but didn't see urge value. Plus, I had a tiny chip that took out the entire right side elements. USAA paid to replace it once and said they won't do it again.

Non-issue now. Car is going back to jaguar on a lemon law claim. I won't buy another.

Old 11-29-2013, 05:34 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mosticks
Car is going back to jaguar on a lemon law claim. I won't buy another.
Hmm.. Lemon law claim? I am curious.. as to what happened..
I have two jaguars.. one with 15,000 miles and another with 4000 miles. Not a single issue with either! Hopefully, they would give you a new Jaguar? Its such a beautiful car..

Old 12-01-2013, 08:50 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jaguarxjl
Hmm.. Lemon law claim? I am curious.. as to what happened..
I have two jaguars.. one with 15,000 miles and another with 4000 miles. Not a single issue with either! Hopefully, they would give you a new Jaguar? Its such a beautiful car..
On way home from dealer sound went out. Happened again two days later. Would shut down nag, Bluetooth, etc sequentially and would have to sit for an hour to come back. Took 4 repair events before they replaced the right components. I had to threaten to return the last time before they brought in a donor car to test all possible solutions.

Driver side window motor had to be replace.

BB sized window chip took out heated windshield functions.

Straw that broke the camels back...my wife was driving two months ago and the car indicated overheating conditions...returned to normal after two minutes. Took it in and they showed no signs of any issue (no computer codes indicating any errors). Went through 30k mile service and returned to me.

5 days later I'm out of town and happens again while my wife is driving. This time on a busy highway in rush hour and the water pump blows, smoke billowing...I'm sure you can picture...that was a fun call.

Replace the water pump and one other part and return to me. I question that they still don't know the cause.

Less than a week later, I'm idle in a parking lot and it shows the overheating conditions again. This time I shut it off, start to record on my phone and watch as it happens again. Call jaguar roadside and have it towed in. Sow them the video. They road test for 300 miles and tell me they can't find anything wrong.

I finally called a lawyer. I don't trust having my family in the car in these conditions.

Coincidentally, condition repeated itself the day I picked up the car after they could find nothing wrong.

Now the dealer is refusing any service since Jaguar is repurchasing. It is becoming ugly even though we have agreed on terms of repurchase.

It is a shame and you are right. It is a beautiful car (black on black, carbon fiber, bowers and wilken stereo, rear seat entertainment, massaging front seats) and I absolutely loved driving it. Unfortunately the rest of the world doesn't think well of the brand. My $89k sticker is now worth $40k on trade after less than two years.

I wish you continued success with your Jags. I have a friend in your area with an XJR that is thrilled with his.

Old 12-02-2013, 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by JagV8
It does seem fair enough that some don't want the heated screen. However, that hardly justifies the thread title!
The reason for the title was because it is very difficult, if not very rare, to be able to get Jaguar one desires, without the heated windshield, in the midwest area.. We all buy cars with options we don't want/need, because of the configuration of the car and that's fine, because we can simply chose not to use that option (or we don't enjoy it as much).. but in this case, this heated windshield option is actually intrusive and for some of us, absolutely annoying to view through - hence the title

Old 12-02-2013, 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by mosticks
Now the dealer is refusing any service since Jaguar is repurchasing. It is becoming ugly even though we have agreed on terms of repurchase.

It is a shame and you are right. It is a beautiful car (black on black, carbon fiber, bowers and wilken stereo, rear seat entertainment, massaging front seats) and I absolutely loved driving it. Unfortunately the rest of the world doesn't think well of the brand. My $89k sticker is now worth $40k on trade after less than two years.

I wish you continued success with your Jags. I have a friend in your area with an XJR that is thrilled with his.
Well, that sounds bad. If the dealer had done a better job, they could have avoided the lemon law. Today, dealers really don't care too much about spending time to find the problem. They do a couple routine diagnostic tests with the computer hooked up and call it a day..

Lexus bought back one of my cars, in the past. They offered to send me brand new car.. Is Jaguar going to refund the purchase price or are they prorating your car for having 30,000 miles?

Old 12-02-2013, 08:23 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Living in South Florida the last thing I need is a windshield de-icer.
But my car has it and the only time I really notice it is when waiting for a traffic light. Not a big deal.
I bought the car used and according to the carfax it's always been a Florida car so I don't know why it has this feature unless the glass was replaced at some point.

Old 01-12-2014, 08:42 PM

I love the heated windshield. It clears ice in a minute. There is some mild light distortion at night, but it doesn't bother me much. I'm very glad I have it for those cold, icy mornings.

Old 01-21-2014, 05:36 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Heated windshield rocks! It was about 10 degrees late last night in Chicagoland. Frosty windshield with snow on it.
Started the car, brushed off the snow, 20 seconds later the windshield was clear to drive.

The following users liked this post:
edobernig (01-21-2014)
Old 01-30-2014, 12:22 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Apparently this has been the topic of much debate. I'm 33 and don't wear glasses or have any eye defects. lol. When I first read about this I worried this would annoy me. I actually found the heated windshield to be wonderful!!! Wondering how I could ever live without it. The lines are bit annoying but the pros outweigh the cons on this one.

I'm a smoker, so I can tell you if the window gets a film of dirt inside, it makes those lines much more pronounced. Otherwise it's not that big a deal. I'd hate to see what a replacement costs though.

Old 01-30-2014, 01:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 801 Likes on 669 Posts

There are different ways to provide a heated windshield.

Jaguar uses fine wires embedded in the glass but I had an older Ford that used a metallic film sandwiched between the layers of the windshield. Nothing to distract you and no wires to break. You could tell it had the heated option because there was an unusual gold metallic tint to the windshield.

I think that is a better system and far less noticeable!

Ford called it Instaclear on my 1988 Sable.

Quickclear - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia