XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Jaguar Approved Coverage Exclusions (can't find this anywhere)

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2017, 07:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jaguar Approved Coverage Exclusions (can't find this anywhere)

I've owned several CPO vehicles over the last decade, most of them being European luxury vehicles. With that being said, it seems that almost all of these programs have some nuances that differentiate the CPO warranty from the initial bumper to bumper factory warranty.

Does anyone have any documentation showing what's actually covered (or not) for the Jaguar Approved program?

Obviously wear and tear items like brakes, belts, wipers, etc would be excluded.

I guess the real question is whether the Approved program actually mirrors the original factory warranty through the 6yr/100k coverage period (7yr/100k on some model years).

Old 02-22-2017, 09:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 512 Likes on 413 Posts

Here is a copy of the CPO Brochure. Normal wear and tear are not covered, but minimums are required to get the CPO certification from JLR NA. The way it works is that a dealer is responsible for all repairs that must be made to bring the vehicle into CPO compliance. Typically the dealer charges more for a CPO car in order to cover needed repairs and make a profit for the CPO designation.

Attached Files
Old 02-22-2017, 04:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks, but not in line with what my question is asking.

Looking for an actual explanation of what the "Approved" warranty covers as well as exclusions.

Old 02-22-2017, 08:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,136 Likes on 3,382 Posts

The Jaguar Certified Pre Owned program is a warranty backed by the manufacturer. My understanding of the CPO warranty on my 2013 XJ is that it continues the original factory warranty to 6 years or 100,000 miles from the original in-service date, whichever comes first. Other model years may differ. Check with your Jaguar dealer to be sure.

Note that Jaguar (and other brands) dealers also sell extended service contracts, which many salespeople erroneously call an "extended warranty". Because these extended service contracts are often marketed on the dealer's letterhead with the Jaguar logo, many consumers think that they are a warranty backed by Jaguar. They are not, because only a manufacturer can provide a warranty and these extended service contracts are products of third-parties who are unrelated to Jaguar. Extended service contracts are like an insurance policy for your car repairs, with deductibles, co-pays, exclusions, and limitations. Dealers sell them because they earn high commissions. Many different companies offer extended service contracts with varying levels of coverage. Buyer beware! You must read the contract, particularly the small print, to know what isn't covered. Often that's unclear because of vague and ambiguous language that is intentionally included to enable the Administrator to weasel out of paying. You can't rely on anything that the dealer/salesperson tells you because those contracts always provide that this document is the sole agreement between the parties, notwithstanding anything to the contrary that may have been stated or provided by anyone else. Extended service contracts are a minefield and a trap for the unwary. Before you fork over thousands of $$$, make sure that you understand it or pay your lawyer to review it for you.

Old 03-14-2017, 09:06 AM
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

The CPO warranty IS NOT an extension of the original factory warranty. You also will not find a concrete list anywhere because Jaguar doesn't even supply us with a parts number list (but we do have a list.) If we have questions, we email corporate about coverage. In general, anything that can be considered a wear and tear item will not be covered (but don't get caught up in semantics over wear and tear -- that's literally just a guideline.) Anything that is rubber is not covered. This includes bushings, hoses, door seals, etc. Headlamps, tail lamps, anything with a bulb is not covered. No coverage for interior trim pieces or squeaks and rattles. Keys have no warranty, neither do batteries in the keys or the vehicle. I'm sure there are other things, but these are the items I get questions about most often.

The following 2 users liked this post by lisalauck:
JgaXkr (03-14-2017), Polyesterpig (03-14-2017)
Old 03-14-2017, 07:55 PM
Received 87 Likes on 64 Posts

Lisa is correct! The CPO warranty is NOT the same as the factory warranty. I'm finding out the hard way! A little over a year ago I had an engine oil leak at the bell housing and Jaguar replaced the rear main seal, no questions asked. Now there is a leak again at the same place. Problem is the CPO extended warranty does not want to pay for removing the transmission to find the source. My dealer said that I would have to pay for the diagnostics (removing the transmission and looking for the source of the leak) at a cost to me $900.00+and I MIGHT get reimbursed! I guess if they can't find the source of the leak, I'm on the hook? Since they are going in the second time and I'm concerned they might not find the leak. They agree there is oil leaking around the Bell housing, so why would
I be charged for a diagnosis? I know there was an issue with some of the 2011 Range Rovers with an oil galley plug leaking on the block (same engine) and the
leak is in the same area (around the starter and drips down on the bell housing). To say I'm a little disappointed would be an understatement. Until this point, I was really impressed with Jaguar. I have opened a case with Jaguar corporate and they gave me case number. I should be contacted in two days.

Old 03-14-2017, 11:09 PM
Veteran Member

Lisa is incorrect. The Jaguar CPO warranty is a separate, additional factory warranty that seamlessly continues the original factory warranty after it expires but with additional exclusions and limitations. See: Certified Pre-Owned Program Benefits | Jaguar USA The only way to know what is covered and what is not is to obtain a complete copy of that CPO warranty document from your dealer and read the exclusions and limitations. Terms and conditions vary from year-to-year.
"CERTIFIED PRE-OWNED WARRANTY*
This limited warranty is added on top of the vehicle’s new car warranty.** Using only Jaguar Land Rover Genuine Parts, this limited warranty covers repairs for sudden and unexpected mechanical or electrical failure, and work is only undertaken by Jaguar Trained Technicians. Nothing less. The warranty covers the vehicle for up to 7 years / 100,000 miles, whichever comes first.
Polyesterpig,
Based on your previous coverage for that oil leak under the original factory warranty, I believe that a recurrence of that same leak within just over 1 year indicates that the initial repair was faulty in materials or workmanship or both and, therefore, should be covered under the CPO warranty. If Jaguar Corporate denies covereage, tell them to provide you with the provisions of the CPO Warranty document that supports their conclusion. If that provision is ambiguous, you have a strong case against Jaguar. Also, take that document to an indy mechanic for their opinion. Don't give up trying to get Jaguar to cover that leak under the CPO warranty. Good luck, and keep us posted.

Old 03-15-2017, 09:43 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Jaguar extended warranty

Is Jaguar extender warranty provided by Jaguar or a third party like Continental

Old 03-15-2017, 10:18 AM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

The Jaguar CPO warranty is administered by Jaguar. It is one of the most comprehensive CPO programs, and unlike several other luxury makes, no deductible on covered services. There is some room for interpretation on covered items, but Jaguar accepts the word of the service advisor. That means have a good relationship with the SA and service manager and he/she will go to bat for you

Old 03-15-2017, 12:01 PM
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,355 Posts

Originally Posted by Stuart S
comes first.[/INDENT]
Polyesterpig,
Based on your previous coverage for that oil leak under the original factory warranty, I believe that a recurrence of that same leak within just over 1 year indicates that the initial repair was faulty in materials or workmanship or both and, therefore, should be covered under the CPO warranty. If Jaguar Corporate denies covereage, tell them to provide you with the provisions of the CPO Warranty document that supports their conclusion. If that provision is ambiguous, you have a strong case against Jaguar. Also, take that document to an indy mechanic for their opinion. Don't give up trying to get Jaguar to cover that leak under the CPO warranty. Good luck, and keep us posted.
There is no parts or labor warranty under original factory warranty. if you get a repair yesterday. your factory warranty expires today and tomorrow that part fails. IT IS NOT COVERED!
You only have a 1year unlimited mileage parts labor warranty on parts/repairs either you or and aftermarket warranty originally has paid for. Also FYI most warranty companies do not pay for diagnosis to the dealership or technician in many cases. After all we just have "lay hands" on the car and it tells of what's wrong through osmosis. So for a big anticipated diagnosis that may or may not provide for coverage the customer is advised that they would be responsible for diagnosis charge if not covered repair.
Kinda like going to the hos[ital. and having tests run to try and diagnose a issue. Whether or not they find anything you still pay for the tests..

Old 03-15-2017, 12:03 PM

The only thing I found about the Jaguar CPO warranty

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2_...iYjBmOGYy/view

Old 03-15-2017, 12:19 PM

Brutal, I appreciate all the help and insight you provide the forums. I understand if I was complaining about an electrical issue that the dealership cold not replicate and I wanted a diagnostic done, or a knock that I only could hear. But there is oil dripping off the bell housing and they acknowledge the oil drip.

Again I really like my dealer and I respect the mechanics that work there. I actually have two dealerships closer to me, but I drive an extra hour because of the quality of service in Pasadena.

Old 03-15-2017, 07:16 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Brutal
There is no parts or labor warranty under original factory warranty. if you get a repair yesterday. your factory warranty expires today and tomorrow that part fails. IT IS NOT COVERED!
You only have a 1year unlimited mileage parts labor warranty on parts/repairs either you or and aftermarket warranty originally has paid for. Also FYI most warranty companies do not pay for diagnosis to the dealership or technician in many cases. After all we just have "lay hands" on the car and it tells of what's wrong through osmosis. So for a big anticipated diagnosis that may or may not provide for coverage the customer is advised that they would be responsible for diagnosis charge if not covered repair.
Kinda like going to the hos[ital. and having tests run to try and diagnose a issue. Whether or not they find anything you still pay for the tests..
Brutal,

Consider this hypothetical: I bought my 2013 CPO XJ and before the original factory warranty expired the water pump leaks and the dealer replaces it under that warranty. 15 months later, after the original factory warranty has expired and while under the CPO warranty, that second water pump fails and leaks. Isn't the third water pump covered under the CPO warranty? Are there any limitations as to how many times a defective part can be replaced under either the original factory warranty or the CPO warranty?

Stuart

Old 03-15-2017, 08:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 436 Likes on 385 Posts

Originally Posted by Polyesterpig
Brutal, I appreciate all the help and insight you provide the forums. I understand if I was complaining about an electrical issue that the dealership cold not replicate and I wanted a diagnostic done, or a knock that I only could hear. But there is oil dripping off the bell housing and they acknowledge the oil drip.

Again I really like my dealer and I respect the mechanics that work there. I actually have two dealerships closer to me, but I drive an extra hour because of the quality of service in Pasadena.
My understanding is that after they do the diagnostic, if it is a CPO covered repair then you won't be charged for the repair nor for the diagnostic. If it is not a CPO covered repair then you will pay for the diagnostic and can decide whether to pay them for the repair or take it elsewhere

But if it's an oil leak you stand a good chance that they cover. If you read the list of CPO exclusions it's prob only hoses that are not covered related to oil leaks - but others can prob advise on that

Either way seems like you have little choice but have them look unless you know a good indy and want to go that route - but then you're definitely paying

Old 03-22-2017, 08:58 AM
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Lisa is incorrect. The Jaguar CPO warranty is a separate, additional factory warranty that seamlessly continues the original factory warranty after it expires but with additional exclusions and limitations.
Stuart, you're getting caught up in the semantics. We basically said they same thing. The CPO is provided by Jaguar, is claimed the same way we submit claims under the original factory warranty, but is not like the original factory in that it is not a bumper to bumper warranty. (P.S. Lisa is a service advisor for Jaguar and has been with the company since 2006 on both the sales and the service side.)

Moreover, what you suggest regarding the leak repair being faulty and therefore being covered after the warranty expires is incorrect. I think a few others have echoed this as well.

As far as the diag charges on your issue PolyesterPig, What BritCars said is correct. You stand a good chance of it being covered. As a service advisor, we're generally more cautious with promising coverage under the CPO. If they get in there and find a family of mice made it's home on a wiring harness and this caused your problem (obviously this specific scenario won't apply - but you get the idea) then clearly your problem isn't a manufacturers defect and would not be covered. No one likes surprises when it comes to paying for extensive diagnosis and repairs so it's better your advisor has this conversation with you in advance rather than after the fact.

The following users liked this post:
Brutal (03-24-2017)
Old 03-22-2017, 09:56 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by lisalauck
Stuart, you're getting caught up in the semantics. We basically said they same thing. ...

Moreover, what you suggest regarding the leak repair being faulty and therefore being covered after the warranty expires is incorrect. I think a few others have echoed this as well. ...
The Jaguar Select CPO program is a separate contract between the retail buyer and the manufacturer, Jaguar, and coverage is defined subject to specific exclusions, limitations, and deductibles. It is similar, but not identical, to the original factory warranty. CPO coverage is a matter of contract law, not semantics. It is an inducement to make the sale. Bad faith in administering that CPO warranty may constitute fraud in the inducement and breach of contract.

Assume that the leak repair was covered under the original factory warranty because it was caused by a gasket that failed prematurely. Also assume that the replacement gasket also failed prematurely and caused the same leak again. If the car is out of the original factory warranty but is now covered by the CPO warranty, why wouldn't that be a covered repair? Are gaskets excluded from CPO coverage? A gasket that repeatedly fails prematurely appears to be defective in materials and/or workmanship and is not fit for its intended purpose.

Old 03-22-2017, 02:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 512 Likes on 413 Posts

Going to the Polyesterpig's ssue is the failure of a rear main seal and did it fail again. IMHO, there can be any of 3 causes for a repeat failure. 1, seal material fails, 2, the part was improperly installed and 3, (and this goes back to the older days of jag before Ford) rear main bearing cap or rear main bearing stretch or premature excessive wear. In any event the diagnostic charge is on the customer till failure can be verified.

Old 03-24-2017, 09:06 AM
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,355 Posts

Brutal,

Consider this hypothetical: I bought my 2013 CPO XJ and before the original factory warranty expired the water pump leaks and the dealer replaces it under that warranty. 15 months later, after the original factory warranty has expired and while under the CPO warranty, that second water pump fails and leaks. Isn't the third water pump covered under the CPO warranty? Are there any limitations as to how many times a defective part can be replaced under either the original factory warranty or the CPO warranty?

Stuart
If it covered under CPO yes it is covered. But as I said once the factory warranty expired it does not matter if the part was replaced on the last day of your factory warranty and a week later it prematurely fails again>It is not covered at all. If you have CPO or another ext. warranty company and they cover the part or you'll pay your cash. Then you or the 3rd party company has a 1yr unlimited parts warranty on the part replaced and the labor if done at the dealer, There are no parts warranty on parts under factory warranty, if it fails again under warranty then it gets replaced again. No there are no limits on number of times. Just depends on time/mileage/warranty type.

The following users liked this post:
Stuart S (03-24-2017)